Thread: Watching the ball reach the target.

Watching the ball reach the target.

A comment was made on another thread about seeing the ball/bullet travelling from the gun. Here is a pic which was totally unplanned (taken from video clip) of my .577 cannon in full voice. I don@t know to this day what caused the tracer effect and have repeatedly tried to do it again with no success.

https://i.postimg.cc/xjpTHBK1/Long18-tracer.jpgupload an image
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    A comment was made on another thread about seeing the ball/bullet travelling from the gun. Here is a pic which was totally unplanned (taken from video clip) of my .577 cannon in full voice. I don@t know to this day what caused the tracer effect and have repeatedly tried to do it again with no success.

https://i.postimg.cc/xjpTHBK1/Long18-tracer.jpgupload an image
    Your link does not work.

The tracer effect could be burning lubricant or the wad, if you use one.

A friend of mine made wads out of carpet felt for his single shot .44" pistol. They were well greased and when he fired the gun the rear of the wad ignited and left a smoke trail to the target. It was quite impressive. Because he had used so much soft grease the wad stuck to the ball.

When i have watched someone through a spotting scope shooting a .577" at 100 yards you can see the bullet drop into the target, or should I say curl into the target as it is rotating from the rifling.

If your interested I have a YouTube channel where I have a number if vids of various guns going off in slow motion, including one where the muzzle brake on my mosin nagant parts company with the gun all due to cheap Chinese screws and physics (nothing hit the inside of the muzzle brake) look for airgunnut mosin nagant
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

As a long-time shooter of comparatively low-velocity ball and bullet, I admit that I get a real kick out of watching other folks shooting THEIR BP stuff, and there is one thing that has always puzzled me.

Catching a glimp of a big old Minié bullet in flight, as you do if you kinda unfocus your eye and track it, they always seem to be to be a gleaming golden-coloured, rather than the shiny silver that you would expect.

V. odd, that.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    As a long-time shooter of comparatively low-velocity ball and bullet, I admit that I get a real kick out of watching other folks shooting THEIR BP stuff, and there is one thing that has always puzzled me.

Catching a glimp of a big old Minié bullet in flight, as you do if you kinda unfocus your eye and track it, they always seem to be to be a gleaming golden-coloured, rather than the shiny silver that you would expect.

V. odd, that.
    No not very odd, the ball/bullet has just gone from ambient temp to a few hundred deg C and has a coating of soot, if that don't change the colour of the projectile, not sure what will.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    No not very odd, the ball/bullet has just gone from ambient temp to a few hundred deg C and has a coating of soot, if that don't change the colour of the projectile, not sure what will.
    A few hundred degrees C? Soot? You’ve been watching too much star wars!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

[QUOTE=DesG;7877461]A few hundred degrees C? Soot? You’ve been watching too much star wars![/QUOTE]
    Think about it, you have a quantity of black powder you have ignighted in a barrel behind a lump of lead, physics and chemistry now takes over, the powder is burning and expanding behind the ball this will transfer some heat into the ball so will the friction of the ball moving through the barrel, the fire ball behind the ball is easly a few thousand deg C, the only reason you dont get molten lead spewing out of the barrel is the thermal mass of the barrel and ball, they absorb some heat over the short anount of time they are in contact with the flames, this could heat the ball enough to give it the golden colour.
    as for the soot, the combustion process in the barrel of any gun is not compleat (especially black powder) there will be some product of combustion on the back of the projectile, a very thin coating can change colour of the reflected light.