Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chainfire Black Powder

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    You KNOW what I think about using .36cal loads in a .44cal revolver designed to take around 35gr, but it's up to you......
    Actually, Pietta's suggested load for the .44 is between 12-15gns of FFFg, with a maximum of 35 gns

https://www.henrykrank.com/media/pdf...lverManual.pdf (page 18...)

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    Actually, Pietta's suggested load for the .44 is between 12-15gns of FFFg, with a maximum of 35 gns (page 18...)
    You must do what you think is right, within safety bounds, of course. My buddy Ken shoots feral hogs with HIS ROA - with 35gr of 3Fg and a nose-hardened 230gr conical.

Italian BP manufacturers are renowned for recommending low charges on a just-in-case basis, the same as modern versions of many military calibres are substantially down-loaded in the interests of 'safety' in case somebody loads up an old clunker and get the bolt through his eye.

One such example of this is the PPU version of Swiss GP11, which is around 200 - 220 fps slower than the real GP11.

I think you'd agree that there is a very substantial difference between the 'recommended' load of 12gr, and the advice not to exceed 35gr - almost tree times the recommended load. Or maybe not.

Let me post you the NRA/N-SSA accepted figures, based on historical usage, for BP handguns.

.44 Colt Dragoon - .453 ball - 40gr 3Fg
    .44 Colt and Remington Army - .453 ball - 28g 3Fg
    .44 modern manufacture Remington and Colt revolver - .451 ball - 28gr 3Fg
    .44 modern manufacture Colt Dragoon - .451 ball - 40gr 3Fg
    .36 modern manufacture Remington and Colt revolver - .376 ball - 22gr 3Fg
    .36 cal Colt, Remington Navy, Whitney, Pettingill, Savage, Cooper, Bacon and most other .36cal revolvers - .376 ball - 22gr 3Fg.

I also have a list of 60 proof loads used by manufacturers of BP arms if you are interested.

Actually, Pietta's suggested load for the .44 is between 12-15gns of FFFg, with a maximum of 35 gns

https://www.henrykrank.com/media/pdf...lverManual.pdf (page 18...)
    I've just had another look at my post, and yours, you DID read that the top load I noted was 35gr - the same as the top load that Mr Krank's manufacturers noted, right? Why are we arguing?

Yes, sorry Tac, I got the inferance that you meant that 35 gns was a "normal" load... not the maximum load.

Once I've bought one, I'll start at 15gns and work upwards... I'm sure 35gns is grin-inducing, but I'll probably go with something in the mid 20's thats more comfortable to shoot..

... im a wimp.... :-)

Yes, sorry Tac, I got the inferance that you meant that 35 gns was a "normal" load... not the maximum load.

Once I've bought one, I'll start at 15gns and work upwards... I'm sure 35gns is grin-inducing, but I'll probably go with something in the mid 20's thats more comfortable to shoot..

... im a wimp.... :-)
    I've been shooting 25gr of 3Fg in my ROA since the day I got it. Works fine for me, even after 34.5 years. If you take a peek on Youtube tac's guns Ruger Old Army, you'll see me shooting the last shot in a competition - load is 25gr of 3Fg and it's comfortable AND accurate. As with all BP stuff, you'll have to experiment to find that sweet spot, but I'm betting a pound to a pinch of parrot poop it won't be around 15 - 18gr...

I've got a Uberti .44" with the fluted cylinder. I use 22 grains of Kranks fine with no filler and it is accurate with that. Anything more and it is all over the place. If you stoke it up its just a waste of powder and lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac42 View Post
    Many years ago when shooting BP and now starting again I can't remember what i used. Done a bit of research and find that a good mix is Beeswax, Lard and a drop of Olive oil. What do others use nowadays? I am also using semolina as a filler. All comments and suggestions appreciated.
    I make my own bore butter, 1 part beeswax granules, 7 parts olive oil and 3 drops peppermint oil.
    Cooked in the microwave in stages.
    CZ455 American .22LR, Marlin 1894 .357 and 1935 8mm Mauser K98k S42/G (RC), Remy .308 AICS, RPR 6.5 creedmoor, no4 1* LB 1943, NRA RCO

Both my Rugers like different loads. 7" target like 26 grains of b/p and the short barrel one likes a lighter load of 20 grains. I use a scoop
    of semolina to bring the ball up in the cylinder and cover with wonderlube. I once forgot my lube and shot without. Two rounds of fire and
    the accuracy went out the window. I tried E45 years ago after tac posted on here and it worked well but so far iv stuck with wonderlube
    because iv got a big tub of it and theres still lots left.
    One of the things that make b/p shooting more interesting for me is the way you have to put more effort in to get more results out. Two
    guns of the same make may well work better or worse with any given load, its down to you to find that sweet load. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul101 View Post
    I make my own bore butter, 1 part beeswax granules, 7 parts olive oil and 3 drops peppermint oil.
    Cooked in the microwave in stages.
    Nigella would be proud of you!!

No-longer-have-a-FAC-and-my-pistols-were-all-destroyed-in-the-ban.__Had-a-chainfire-once-at-Bisley.__A-cap-jumped-back-against-the-recoil-shield-and-fired-the-chamber,-smearing-the-bullet-along-the-side-of-the-cylinder!

Rob.

Chain fire happens

I have read this thread with interest as I have had a chain fire incident happen to me. I’ll recount the events and you can draw your own conclusion.
    I bought a Uberti .44 and following advice from my VERY experienced mate bought a tub of wonderlube and proceeded to fire the pistol aprox twice a month for 4-5 months with no issues whatsoever.

I then read on the tinterweb about beeswax discs being used instead of grease to stop chain fires that’s an improvement what could possibly go wrong ....

I punched out some beeswax sheets I had, slightly over size just to be sure , a little background on the ammo I cast my own and they always cut a slight ring off the ball when they are rammed in the chamber.
    Off to the range with my new method chambers primed beeswax in place caps on ,FIRE well no problems at all no chain fire no significant fouling alls good.

Cup of tea lets have another go, same process as before BANG 3 chambers fired my mate almost filled his pants, I was a little unnerved but thankfully the rounds went off on their merry way without causing any damage to me or the gun, these were with tight fitting caps in fact the caps were still in place on the nipples !!!
    Post incident hundreds of rounds fired since and wonderlube (well my own version) used on every occasion with no chain fires experienced
    List of toys CZ .22, CZ .17 HMR Varminter, .44 Remington BP revolver, a .223 Remington s/s Verminator and various Muzzle loaders and shot guns (hope the wife never reads this ) a Grumpy Wolfhound and a jack Russel that has a pathological hatred of rats

Remington No.10 caps are a much better fit on Uberti nipples than the RWS or CCI No 11 and are available at Kranks. As has already been said, most chain fires are caused by badly fitting caps so unless you have thousands of No.11 caps to use up I suggest you try 10's for a better fit.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    Remington No.10 caps are a much better fit on Uberti nipples than the RWS or CCI No 11 and are available at Kranks. As has already been said, most chain fires are caused by badly fitting caps so unless you have thousands of No.11 caps to use up I suggest you try 10's for a better fit.
    It depends on the size of the nipple. If you put No.10's on a No.11 nipple it will be a tight fit and will not seat fully until the hammer blow pushes it all the way down. It works but you need pliers to remove them because they jam on.

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    This.

It's strange - I've been shooting BP revolvers since 1968 and I've not yet had a chainfire.

I guess I must be doing something wrong, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    This.

It's strange - I've been shooting BP revolvers since 1968 and I've not yet had a chainfire.

I guess I must be doing something wrong, eh?
    We must both be doing the same thing wrong.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi