Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chainfire Black Powder

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul101 View Post
    I make my own bore butter, 1 part beeswax granules, 7 parts olive oil and 3 drops peppermint oil.
    Cooked in the microwave in stages.
    Nigella would be proud of you!!

No-longer-have-a-FAC-and-my-pistols-were-all-destroyed-in-the-ban.__Had-a-chainfire-once-at-Bisley.__A-cap-jumped-back-against-the-recoil-shield-and-fired-the-chamber,-smearing-the-bullet-along-the-side-of-the-cylinder!

Rob.

Chain fire happens

I have read this thread with interest as I have had a chain fire incident happen to me. I’ll recount the events and you can draw your own conclusion.
    I bought a Uberti .44 and following advice from my VERY experienced mate bought a tub of wonderlube and proceeded to fire the pistol aprox twice a month for 4-5 months with no issues whatsoever.

I then read on the tinterweb about beeswax discs being used instead of grease to stop chain fires that’s an improvement what could possibly go wrong ....

I punched out some beeswax sheets I had, slightly over size just to be sure , a little background on the ammo I cast my own and they always cut a slight ring off the ball when they are rammed in the chamber.
    Off to the range with my new method chambers primed beeswax in place caps on ,FIRE well no problems at all no chain fire no significant fouling alls good.

Cup of tea lets have another go, same process as before BANG 3 chambers fired my mate almost filled his pants, I was a little unnerved but thankfully the rounds went off on their merry way without causing any damage to me or the gun, these were with tight fitting caps in fact the caps were still in place on the nipples !!!
    Post incident hundreds of rounds fired since and wonderlube (well my own version) used on every occasion with no chain fires experienced
    List of toys CZ .22, CZ .17 HMR Varminter, .44 Remington BP revolver, a .223 Remington s/s Verminator and various Muzzle loaders and shot guns (hope the wife never reads this ) a Grumpy Wolfhound and a jack Russel that has a pathological hatred of rats

Remington No.10 caps are a much better fit on Uberti nipples than the RWS or CCI No 11 and are available at Kranks. As has already been said, most chain fires are caused by badly fitting caps so unless you have thousands of No.11 caps to use up I suggest you try 10's for a better fit.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.