Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snider cavalry carbine

Snider cavalry carbine

Have in my collection a Snider cavalry carbine markings on lock plate are V&R Blakemore Birmingham & London,1872 under a crown and also marked TOWER
    Could anyone possibly give me any info on it.
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    Have in my collection a Snider cavalry carbine markings on lock plate are V&R Blakemore Birmingham & London,1872 under a crown and also marked TOWER
    Could anyone possibly give me any info on it.
    Thanks in advance.
    Your Snider carbine was probably by converting a Tower-made Pattern 53 Enfield rifled musket into a breech-loading Snider - the usual way of doing it before the RSAF took over the complete manufacturing from scratch. The Blakemore company was one of many that made parts for the Tower Arsenal and armoury, where ALL British military arms were assembled from made-out parts, hence the Tower on the lock.

Can you give us details of any more of the various stamps all over the breech ring and block? It should have a large asterisk-style stamp, a Roman numeral I or maybe even II and many more. Lots of proof marks from Birmingham and maybe even the words 'Snider's Patent'.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Marks on block are snider patent and small B, on breech ring S with arrow through it and 2 small B marks.
    The carbine has a saddle bar and ring fitted and the barrel has the small carbine rear sight fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    Marks on block are snider patent and small B, on breech ring S with arrow through it and 2 small B marks.
    The carbine has a saddle bar and ring fitted and the barrel has the small carbine rear sight fitted.
    You have what is no doubt an Snider cavalry or dragoon carbine. The other marks you describe are inspectors marks. Do you intend to shoot it? Can you email me with images? I have a couple of Canadian Sniders - a three-band and a two-band short rifle.

No don't intend to shoot.
    Pics sent.

Being marked 1872 I would expect to see a thumb catch that needs to be pressed before opening? If so, there's a good chance that it was was built as a breech loader, the earlier, converted muzzle loaders are usually fitted with a breech that opens without any obstruction. There are more small indicators to look for but that's probably the most obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by mel h View Post
    Being marked 1872 I would expect to see a thumb catch that needs to be pressed before opening? If so, there's a good chance that it was was built as a breech loader, the earlier, converted muzzle loaders are usually fitted with a breech that opens without any obstruction. There are more small indicators to look for but that's probably the most obvious.
    ALL of mine are marked 1872, but none of them has the press-button breechblock release. They are all stamped II on the breech ring. THE giveaway for this updated, made-as-a-breechloader version is the stamp STEEL on the action/barrel and III with or without stars ie III*.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just trying to add a couple of pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    ALL of mine are marked 1872, but none of them has the press-button breechblock release. They are all stamped II on the breech ring. THE giveaway for this updated, made-as-a-breechloader version is the stamp STEEL on the action/barrel and III with or without stars ie III*.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just trying to add a couple of pointers.
    I've had a fair lot of '53 /'56 Enfield's over the years, but never got particularly involved with Sniders (they were still on FAC when I was in my collecting prime ), so, I've probably been under the impression that all of the made-as-a-breechloader's were fitted with the safety catch, my mistake.

One other thing, do any of your Sniders have the chained firing pin protector? I assume that it's a bit different to the old nipple protectors, I've looked at some photo's and it seems that they have a leather part incorporated. I do have a nice Volunteer Snider that's missing the protector and hope to make one when I get something to work from.

I've had a fair lot of '53 /'56 Enfield's over the years, but never got particularly involved with Sniders (they were still on FAC when I was in my collecting prime ), so, I've probably been under the impression that all of the made-as-a-breechloader's were fitted with the safety catch, my mistake.

One other thing, do any of your Sniders have the chained firing pin protector? I assume that it's a bit different to the old nipple protectors, I've looked at some photo's and it seems that they have a leather part incorporated. I do have a nice Volunteer Snider that's missing the protector and hope to make one when I get something to work from.
    Only the Québec Garrison Artillery Short rifle has such a protector. If you PM me I'll do a couple of pics for you to see how it looks. Peter Dyson makes a reasonable replication, BTW. The square section that fits over the nipple has a substantial leather pad inserted into it on which the hammer rests.

It's a crying shame that a cartridge-firing rifle of such a rare calibre has to be on an FAC to shoot the darn thing - it's not as though the average crim would even dream of using such a prehistoric firearm in a mugging of store-rob....Living where I do I don't have any of mine on FAC, although I've certainly shot them. The QGA rifle belonged to a fellow club member who gave it to me as a birthday gift - you can see it in action on tac's guns Snider [Youtube]. I even have a set of dies, not that I'll ever use them - a. because I can't, and b. because they fit in the large diameter press thread.

Only the Québec Garrison Artillery Short rifle has such a protector. If you PM me I'll do a couple of pics for you to see how it looks. Peter Dyson makes a reasonable replication, BTW. The square section that fits over the nipple has a substantial leather pad inserted into it on which the hammer rests.

It's a crying shame that a cartridge-firing rifle of such a rare calibre has to be on an FAC to shoot the darn thing - it's not as though the average crim would even dream of using such a prehistoric firearm in a mugging of store-rob....Living where I do I don't have any of mine on FAC, although I've certainly shot them. The QGA rifle belonged to a fellow club member who gave it to me as a birthday gift - you can see it in action on tac's guns Snider [Youtube]. I even have a set of dies, not that I'll ever use them - a. because I can't, and b. because they fit in the large diameter press thread.
    If the pin protector is the same as the one used with nipples it's no problem I have a friend that has some Percussion Enfield's with nipple protectors so measuring one up's not a problem, or getting a one from Peter Dyson, I would though, appreciate some more details of the leather part.
    Thanks for the link, I enjoyed seeing one in action. I've added a link to a picture of my Two band, it would make a lovely shooter.

https://ibb.co/DbdY7JZ

https://ibb.co/J2j5rZg

Thanks Mel.
    Last edited by mel h; 26-03-2020 at 02:15 PM.

If the pin protector is the same as the one used with nipples it's no problem I have a friend that has some Percussion Enfield's with nipple protectors so measuring one up's not a problem, or getting a one from Peter Dyson, I would though, appreciate some more details of the leather part.
    Thanks for the link, I enjoyed seeing one in action. I've added a link to a picture of my Two band, it would make a lovely shooter.

https://ibb.co/DbdY7JZ

https://ibb.co/J2j5rZg

Thanks Mel.
    Mel, it is exactly the same as the type used on the P53 in every respect. If you email me I'll send you a pic of the whole thing with an easy view of the leather part.

PS - loved your two-band!!!!! Droooooooooooooooooooool.

Mel, it is exactly the same as the type used on the P53 in every respect. If you email me I'll send you a pic of the whole thing with an easy view of the leather part.

PS - loved your two-band!!!!! Droooooooooooooooooooool.
    PM sent, thank you.

Look.

Look.
    Got it, thanks.
    Mel.

Keine Sorge.