Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HW 45 Revisit ?

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Jon will be in a better position to advise, John, but I'd guess that it's down to too much of the wrong lube in the wrong place from the factory. That plus the shape of the seal offers no potential for scraping back any of that excess lube on the cocking stroke. However, as it's a diesel rather than detonation, I'd also guess that the longevity of the seal isn't adversely affected?

In the early days following its introduction, many advised to dry fire it a couple of times to "form" the seal, as some did with Webley Vulcans.
    Read about the “dry firing” thing, not something I’m comfortable with but I can see the logic.
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    That’s encouraging news. I suspect rightly or wrongly that a .22 will be a wee bit less violent and easier shooting so the dieseling may not be as pronounced ?
    As I recall it was a bit smoky for the first 100 shots or so then it has settled down and behaved itself ever since.

I also have a .177 HW45 and it is not as smooth shooting as my .22, but to be fair it may not have been used as much.

When I bought the .177 it had both .20 and .22 calibre spare barrels to fit but not tried the .20 on it yet.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    As I recall it was a bit smoky for the first 100 shots or so then it has settled down and behaved itself ever since.

I also have a .177 HW45 and it is not as smooth shooting as my .22, but to be fair it may not have been used as much.

When I bought the .177 it had both .20 and .22 calibre spare barrels to fit but not tried the .20 on it yet.
    What .22 pellets does it favour ?
    “An airgun or two”………

It is relatively un-fussy.

It liked the old 5.5mm Wasps but is equally at home with RWS Superdomes.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

It is relatively un-fussy.

It liked the old 5.5mm Wasps but is equally at home with RWS Superdomes.
    Thanks
    Probably F&TT as well !
    “An airgun or two”………

BigEars Guest
    The .177 Silver Star was nice but I fancy summat with a bit more “Bosh” !
    I always thought my 0.22 was a bit less snappy that the 0.177. Fabulous pistol, mine smoked like an old bus.

BigEars Guest
    Mine liked Hobbys

Quote Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
    I always thought my 0.22 was a bit less snappy that the 0.177. Fabulous pistol, mine smoked like an old bus.
    “Smoked like an old bus”.
    Love it !
    “An airgun or two”………

Probably a bit generously lubed at the factory.

Can't say I have experienced any issue with piston head burning.

I have a .22 version that I have owned since 1986 and it still shoots around 420fps with 14.5 gr pellets on original spring and piston head, only breech seal changed.

No dieselling at all now,just smooth and accurate.
    That’s encouraging news. I suspect rightly or wrongly that a .22 will be a wee bit less violent and easier shooting so the dieseling may not be as pronounced ?
    Encouraging news indeed! And maybe a hint (subject to internal inspection for the definitive verdict) that, like the vast majority of Weihrauchs, they're "built for the long term"? The lack of dieselling now will be down to it having burned most of its "fuel" off and it also drying up with age. Must admit, I've never stripped mine, but maybe due a refresh now and careful, sparing re-lube?

.22s, as you well know, John, generally will give a softer firing cycle (tune dependant) in most springers. I wouldn't have said that a .22 would be any less likely to diesel. That'll be down more to pellets with a higher release pressure will start to move later in the cycle and the resulting higher pressure and temperature will promote the dieselling.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Read about the “dry firing” thing, not something I’m comfortable with but I can see the logic.
    I can see the logic but am still reluctant myself, John.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
    Mine liked Hobbys
    My .22 likes the Hobby. As do most of my rifles also.

The other one that I'd be very tempted to try (and I have some, just need to give them a go) would be the lightest variety of the JSB Jumbo at, I think, 13.4 grains? Think it's the RS. Should result in comparitively low release pressure, even nicer shot cycle and higher velocity than the heavier .22s. The Falcon Accuracy Plus is probably the same pellet???

My .22 likes the Hobby. As do most of my rifles also.

The other one that I'd be very tempted to try (and I have some, just need to give them a go) would be the lightest variety of the JSB Jumbo at, I think, 13.4 grains? Think it's the RS. Should result in comparitively low release pressure, even nicer shot cycle and higher velocity than the heavier .22s. The Falcon Accuracy Plus is probably the same pellet???
    Well I have a fair old armoury of pellets so it’ll be fun finding out !
    Could be a while before I get the pistol though as there ain’t too many airgun shops in Scotland. I tend to travel about a bit and see if any are in my immediate vicinity !
    “An airgun or two”………

Do the internals still have the same dimensions, springs etc regardless of calibre?

Is it only the barrel diameter that is different?

Do all HW45s now have half cock and full cock?

I'm also thinking of getting another one - probably .177 again.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

As far as I'm aware the internals will be the same for all calibres.

Both the .177 and the .22 have dual power settings. In the early days I think it was just the .177 that offered this feature. I'm not sure when the dual power facility became available on the .22, but my 2010 .22 is certainly dual power.

I can't really see any real world advantage with the dual power facility. It may seem to offer a little more flexibility on paper, but the points of impact differ that much that you really have to adjust the sights for one power setting and shoot it at that setting.

Go get another; you'll love it all over again!

Have you got yours yet, John?

As far as I'm aware the internals will be the same for all calibres.

Both the .177 and the .22 have dual power settings. In the early days I think it was just the .177 that offered this feature. I'm not sure when the dual power facility became available on the .22, but my 2010 .22 is certainly dual power.

I can't really see any real world advantage with the dual power facility. It may seem to offer a little more flexibility on paper, but the points of impact differ that much that you really have to adjust the sights for one power setting and shoot it at that setting.

Go get another; you'll love it all over again!

Have you got yours yet, John?
    What distance are we talking about here Tony ? And no, I haven’t taken the plunge yet.
    “An airgun or two”………