Thread: Rem 260 .264/6.5mm 120gr Speer spitzer bullets with VhitN160 39.6 grs powder, Nosler

Rem 260 .264/6.5mm 120gr Speer spitzer bullets with VhitN160 39.6 grs powder, Nosler

Hi, advice please guys, I went to buy Speer 120gr spitzer bullets for the above , I was told they were not available any more use Sierra Pt. No 1720 Spitzer and Pt No1725 hpbt target. Use same load data for Speer as same weight for the S No1720. ie I was using Vhit N160 39.6 grs. for the Speer120gr

I am a bit concerned as after loading 35 rounds to zero rifle and shoot deer I have now found data on various bullet websites that some have a starting load of considerably more for a 120gr bullet than this 39.6gr load. Is it advisable to use the 39.6 gr load or is this going to be only a 100yd bullet because of the drop due to low velocity?

Should I pull them and load to a higher load of VhitN160?
    I have approx. 1lb left of VhitN160 to use up.
    Is there a better powder now to use in a Rem 260/6.5 rifle than the N160?
    The Sierra website says it is advisable not to use Sierra Matchking 1725. 120gr Bullets for hunting. Has anybody tried them and with what results please?
    Sierra do not suggest a powder for their bullets.
    Many thanks in advance guys for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnybasher9 View Post
    Hi, advice please guys, I went to buy Speer 120gr spitzer bullets for the above , I was told they were not available any more use Sierra Pt. No 1720 Spitzer and Pt No1725 hpbt target. Use same load data for Speer as same weight for the S No1720. ie I was using Vhit N160 39.6 grs. for the Speer120gr

I am a bit concerned as after loading 35 rounds to zero rifle and shoot deer I have now found data on various bullet websites that some have a starting load of considerably more for a 120gr bullet than this 39.6gr load. Is it advisable to use the 39.6 gr load or is this going to be only a 100yd bullet because of the drop due to low velocity?

Should I pull them and load to a higher load of VhitN160?
    I have approx. 1lb left of VhitN160 to use up.
    Is there a better powder now to use in a Rem 260/6.5 rifle than the N160?
    The Sierra website says it is advisable not to use Sierra Matchking 1725. 120gr Bullets for hunting. Has anybody tried them and with what results please?
    Sierra do not suggest a powder for their bullets.
    Many thanks in advance guys for your help.
    MatchKings are not designed to expand so really is it a wise choice for hunting? GameKings, Varminter, Pro-Hunter are the Sierra bullets designed for expansion and hunting.

If the rounds you load are not showing any adverse pressure signs and are shooting consistently and accurately in your rifle then crack on, I'd say. The load data are not absolute limits only what the company concerned has tested and found to be safe. Each tester will have started and stopped at a different point and then publish their own findings. Use them as a guide.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Hi Sarge many thanks for your reply my main concern was that the Seer load was too light ie lower than the minimum starting load of the other companies and would cause a problem. I could not understand why the Speer starting load was so low compared to the others of the same weight bullet. I will risk firing a few and check the cases and impact patterns. regards Bb9

N160 is a great powder for 260.
    I also use N150 with 108gn scenars.
    I don't hunt but believe you have to use an expanding bullet.
    HPBT target type bullets weren't designed for this purpose AFAIK.
    39.0 gns does sound low.
    What does Vihtavouri suggest?

Hi The Vihtvitori latest electronic website data is as follows-

Scenar-L Lapua Bullet 120gr Start load 41.8gr Max load 45.4gr.
    SP Speer Bullet 120gr Start load 38.2gr Max load 43.2gr.
    Berger BT Target Bullet 120gr Start load 42.1gr Max load 45.8gr

Sierra Bullet 120gr are not listed at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnybasher9 View Post
    Hi The Vihtvitori latest electronic website data is as follows-

Scenar-L Lapua Bullet 120gr Start load 41.8gr Max load 45.4gr.
    SP Speer Bullet 120gr Start load 38.2gr Max load 43.2gr.
    Berger BT Target Bullet 120gr Start load 42.1gr Max load 45.8gr

Sierra Bullet 120gr are not listed at all.
    I would use the SP Speer data as that is an expanding type bullet.
    That would make your 39gn starting load realistic.

Cheers mag, I will try them and gradually increase the load towards the Speer maximum.

Hi Guys many thanks for your replays thought I would update you all. Zeroed rifle and as it was a dry day yesterday arranged to go out for a stalk. Was dropped off at a high seat and on the road to it saw approximately 20 fallow out in the field feeding I thought no fallow today then. Sat out in the high seat for an hour freezing, facing a north wind when along came a muntjac quartering in from behind me, Dropped him, He only took a few steps before he dropped so that bullet was fine. At 5:30pm received a call on the mobile there are 30 odd fallow in front of you I will be down in a few minutes come down from the high seat and be ready. I got out my binoculars and looked for the deer but could not see any only some cattle I thought a half a mile away passed three fields with tree lined hedges. Then the manager arrived grab your rifle and sticks we have got to go, I thought he has not brought the truck where? Off we went almost running, and me almost frozen. Down to the end of the field I knew that was 275 yards, through the gate through the next field with 6 ins of mud and the most deer slots I have ever seen to the next field and he stopped to say they are in the next field a herd of 37 of them 140 yards away. Don't take the matriarch but take at least 3 lone ones, I had to walk a narrow bridge with a gate at the end of it. Don't use the sticks use the top of the gate. I looked, chose one but my chest was panting for air, tried to aim and fired, saw it drop and the rest scatter. Reload take another, saw one stopped so aimed again and saw that one drop. Reload quick, with panic set in the herd ran around saw another one stop so aimed and fired. This one ran away then turned in an arc back towards me luckily and dropped within 10 yards of me. By this time panic had set in and they all ran away into the field and forest to my right out of sight.
    So 4 shots and 3 fallow deer and a muntjac, the cartridges with that above load were capable of dropping deer. With my chest still heaving for air, I would not like to do that again. Then we had the job of dragging the deer over the mud, bridge and back to the truck half a mile away. I was knackered but happy.