Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perfectionism can take you places maybe you shouldn’t go? Opinions from the sane

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    I have to say the coin looks very good, bet cutting it in was a hard job?
    The butt pad is hollow so I didn’t want to inlet more than was already there. I ground the coin very thin and that enabled me to bend it to the contours of the plate. Just used epoxy to fasten it on.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Nothing was under the replacement Butt Pad. You could see that the original screw holes were filled and redrilled given the holes of the replacement were slightly different.

I think part of the reasoning for using the coin is that it is the year the gun was made and it had the national crest on it, the same crest is found on earlier versions of the VZ35 but is absent on the last version which is mine. My theory on why the crest was removed is that in the last year of manufacture Germany occupied the country?

Spot on - proper reasoned idea and a great job to boot. Nicely done

One of the best looking engravements I have seen on production guns, love it. Unfortunate that it is omitted on yours! the coin makes up for it indeed (would be even better if it was blued IMO)
    Collection: vintage air pistols & air rifles / vintage air gun accessories
    Facebook groups: vintage air guns 1. Webley, 2 BSA, 3. Haenel, 4. Weihrauch, 5. Diana

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    (would be even better if it was blued IMO)
    I have to agree I’m afraid, nice idea but just looks a bit new and shiny. A tiny bit of ageing on the coin would finish it off nicely.

Beautiful rifle either way.

Cheers,
    Matt

Yes I am looking to age it not sure bluing would be best, think Birchwood Brass Black? Will try on a few coins and see what works best.

Bluing did nothing but Birchwood Aluminum Black did the trick. Matched the old patina on the “white” steel of the bolt and rear sight. New slotted screws are on the way.

Last edited by 45flint; 11-04-2020 at 10:09 PM.

Hi Steve,
    Excellent job as we have come to expect from your modifications / restorations. Not at all over done or fussy in my opinion.
    Brian

Brilliantly done sir, matches the existing metalwork perfectly 👍

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Nice one Steve. Don't forget to show us the final result when you get the slotted screws in place.

It is finished, took me far too long to do such a simple thing but wanted to match the original screws on the gun. Got two early style Winchester butt plate screws off the bay. Perfect match finally feel right about this special rifle. Also sanded and polished some ruff spots on the fitting of this butt plate as it meets the wood. I swear it shoots better. Lol. I have looked for any other prewar example of a carved custom stock and have found none? Curious if there are any out there? Seems carved stocks were reserved for firearms?

I guess there is always a bit of imperfection in any project? The rifle was actually made in 1939 but the last coin minted without a Swastika was 1938, sometimes history makes choices for you.

Last edited by 45flint; 16-04-2020 at 05:45 PM.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    You've nailed it Steve! Great result.

You can never spend too much time on a project if it gets you what you want.