Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The problem with clubs

The problem with clubs

I'm a returning shooter in the Peterborough area and am looking to start 10m air pistol.
    I have contacted two clubs twice through their contact pages and neither have replied.
    If anyone in my area belongs to a target club I'd appreciate your help
    Its very frustrating.

Try again.

I try to reply to club enquiries within 24 hours (I do have a life away from the computer and guns - although some members think I shouldn't ). If its a club inquiry via e-mail, personally, I will not open it if it has no subject title. Im not that computer savi and dont want to download a virus. We are involved with nasty nasty guns after all.

Like I say - try again or contact your local gun shops they may be able to re-direct you to a present member.

The vast majority of club inquires I respond to and supply a multi page info pack (dates, times, prices, maps, directions etc.) never bother to attend for their first visit. Perhaps they just get fed up of reading the cornflakes packet at breakfast.

Good luck.

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 17-02-2020 at 05:49 PM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

to the OP

To the op mate you should try phoning if they have a contact number we found that the best way when we moved to a new area , I had already scoped out the clubs and a soon as we hit the new house we hit the ground running .
    If you know where the club is and it is not to far take a drive over during their opening times may be pick up a form to join while there , sorry but if I am honest when you are looking at joining a new club you have to put in the leg work , it is not them looking for you but you looking for them , once you join you may well see a chattier side to the club but like someone said we are after all nasty gun people that shoot anything that moves .
    Good luck mate

Yes OK but if the only way to get in touch with the club is through their contact page what choice do I have. In the subject field I put "membership enquiry"
    If email enquiries are going to be ignored as a nuisance then one wonders how shooting as a sport hasn't gone down the plug hole.

You have done everything correct but maybe it would be worth your while to visit your local gun shop. The club and its members will get there supplies from somewhere, probably local, and they may have other contact details.
    A vast majority of our club enquiries originate from our local gun shops.

HTH
    Ian

wellhouse0 Guest

clubs

sometimes it's quicker to just go down there one evening or when it says the club is open. Got to remember that most clubs are run with volunteers, they are rarely paid jobs. Answering emails may not be top of their things to do - frustrating but understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by wellhouse0 View Post
    sometimes it's quicker to just go down there one evening or when it says the club is open. Got to remember that most clubs are run with volunteers, they are rarely paid jobs. Answering emails may not be top of their things to do - frustrating but understandable.
    Paid ??? We dont even get appreciated.

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Paid ??? We don't even get appreciated.
    In your case with good reason; whinging about lack or quality of continuously demanded cups of coffee.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Paid ??? We dont even get appreciated.
    As a long-suffering secretary, I agree with you. Naebody at our club gets paid; they all do it for love! However, I do try to respond to emails within a week or so.(unless untitled & they go to the junk folder).
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    In your case with good reason; whinging about lack or quality of continuously demanded cups of coffee.
    The worst in my opinion is when club members speak to you like you are paid staff. Their reaction when I ‘gently’ correct their mistake is often found humorous to bystanders!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Which are FREE for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    As a long-suffering secretary, I agree with you. Naebody at our club gets paid; they all do it for love! However, I do try to respond to emails within a week or so.(unless untitled & they go to the junk folder).
    Agreed. If an emailer cant be bothered to put subject - I cant be bothered to reply.

Our club is the same; I had that exact one.

"Why isn't there any DECENT coffee here?" (only bog standard Nescafe instant) My answer...……………. "BECAUSE YOU NEVER EFFIN BROUGHT ANY"!!!

I also "Look after " the games courts in the village; last year I had some Canadian toorists saying to me, they were impressed with the facilities but the balls we leave out for everyone's use, could have been better quality.???? FFS!! They're FREE for every Tom, Dick & Canuck to use & abuse! I suppose the toilet paper in the hotel they were staying in was not soft enough either!! Can't please em all!
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Which are FREE for everyone.

i drink tea and there's no "tongue in cheek" emoji on here Ian.

The membership secretary gets abuse too.......
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    Our club is the same; I had that exact one.

"Why isn't there any DECENT coffee here?" (only bog standard Nescafe instant) My answer...……………. "BECAUSE YOU NEVER EFFIN BROUGHT ANY"!!!

I love it when someone uses the last of summat (tea, sugar, coffee etc.) and doesn't say anything to anyone .

The membership secretary gets abuse too.......
    And so you should- you let Ron re-join.

And so you should- you let Ron re-join.
    You really do know how to spoil someone's day don't you???

Next time you see Ron, ask him to advise "Chuckles" about treatment/medication for kidney stones...... light blue touchpaper and retire to safe distance...