Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The problem with clubs

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    You will get used to me - I dislike everyone equally. nobody will ever get used to you

With regards to friendliness. Ive visited many local airgun clubs (and shops) over the years in this area and, even when they know what to expect from me Ive always been treated friendly. Even ZOOMA has a warm welcome and look at the stick I give him !

ATB
    Ian
    You are always welcomed (with a grimace) when you turn up at RMTC - but if you gave us some warning that you planned another "visit" we wouldn't take the risk. We would close the club that night and stay (hide) at home

....thats not to say that you are not welcome.....we enjoy the opportunity to test our resilience to abuse (and hopefully our anti-pest "humane" traps will work better next time!)
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    You are always welcomed (with a grimace) when you turn up at RMTC - but if you gave us some warning that you planned another "visit" we wouldn't take the risk. We would close the club that night and stay (hide) at home

....thats not to say that you are not welcome.....we enjoy the opportunity to test our resilience to abuse (and hopefully our anti-pest "humane" traps will work better next time!)
    See ! I told ya - he luvs me.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Maybe the details are out of date, try www.shootingclubdirectory.com
    or phone the NRA NSRA ask if they have details for the club(s) they gave me totally different phone & email to those on the local club web page, which didn't seem to have been updated since 2012.
    I'm not sure when that Directory was compiled, but it seems to have been a compile-and-abandon. It's missing several clubs (some founded as recently as the 1880s!) whilst continues to list clubs which have folded.

It also lists the cost of an FAC Grant as £50 on it's "Getting Started" page, which dates it pre-2015!

As you say, the best bet is to ask the NRA/NSRA directly and get the current Secretary's contact details. I can point to clubs with no fewer than 3 websites, at least two of which are presumably abandoned and the most recent of which doesn't always look very current/maintained! Directories tend to be even worse. People compile them with the best of intentions but then lose interest and don't keep them updated, meaning the web is awash with stale and contradictory information.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by andyals View Post
    As I stated, I used the words membership enquiry in my emails.
    I'm sensing a certain amount of hostility towards new shooters in this thread.
    Aren't you supposed to be promoting shooting as a sport and attracting new members.
    All club secretaries are crabby bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    Our hostility is legendary.

We do go out of our way to encourage new members, however the frustration arises from the "tyre kickers" who either don't bother to turn up or those who do take a membership form and are never seen again.
    I guess I must be a serial emailer as I've contacted two clubs three times now over a period of six weeks.
    So that explains why they're not bothering to reply.
    Thanks
    That clears it up.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
    Correct !

It follows being rang at home on a Saturday night at 11.30pm from a club inquiry who wants to come and shoot the next day. The clubs been going 35+ years - why the sudden rush?

How about receiving several emails over a period of weeks asking not just basic info about the club (which was willingly provided) but many, many questions about airguns and airgunning for the inquirer never bothering to attend the club.

Or someone ringing/e-mailing you out of the blue asking if you would like to buy their Relum.

Yes, speaking personally, we are crabby bar stewards when mugged upon. Otherwise I'm a bungle of fun. (Ask our club Gladys. )

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Quote Originally Posted by andyals View Post
    I guess I must be a serial emailer as I've contacted two clubs three times now over a period of six weeks.
    So that explains why they're not bothering to reply.
    Thanks
    That clears it up.
    As your home town is shown as Plymouth and you have recently returned to Peterborough, are you confused and have sent your membership enquiries to a boxing club or some other organisation?
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
    Maybe not that bad, I'm just a generally grumpy ol b'stid.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    As your home town is shown as Plymouth and you have recently returned to Peterborough, are you confused and have sent your membership enquiries to a boxing club or some other organisation?
    No
    My home town is plymouth but I'm now living in Peterborough caring for my dad for the foreseeable future.
    No confusion

Cant find a club? Theres no need to sell your pistol. http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....4-March-pistol

Start your own club. I did (twice. Rivington Riflemen and Blackburn Outdoor Airgun Club). Both clubs are still thriving and have provided and providing safe shooting for hundreds of airgunners.

ATB
    Ian

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Club peterborough

Andy

I suggest you contact www.tenrings.co.uk , the contact is John Marchant, John is an active pistol shooter and coach in that area and active with the Eastern Region Shooting squads, I'm sure he would help, and advise you if, and where you can shoot.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?