Thread: The problem with clubs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Quote Originally Posted by andyals View Post
    I'm sensing a certain amount of hostility towards new shooters in this thread.
    Our hostility is legendary.

That's why we offer a free visit (usually with the use of one of our members' equipment) free pistol coaching from qualified coaches, free coaching for HFT and FT from National champions - we really try to discourage anyone who makes an enquiry and makes arrangements to visit our club.

What we object to are the serial e-mailers who don't turn up; those who go to our outdoor range when specifically asked not to as it is on private land and subject to a restriction on number of shooting days when competitions take priority, then complain that the indoor range is in fact several miles away, the directions to which are detailed in the membership enquiry pack our Secretary sends out.

We do go out of our way to encourage new members, however the frustration arises from the "tyre kickers" who either don't bother to turn up or those who do take a membership form and are never seen again.

As Ian said, try another email, sickness, holidays or working away from home may cause a delayed reply; speak to local gun shops for further informaation.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post

That's why we offer a free visit (usually with the use of one of our members' equipment) free pistol coaching from qualified coaches, free coaching for HFT and FT from National champions - we really try to discourage anyone who makes an enquiry and makes arrangements to visit our club.

What we object to are the serial e-mailers who don't turn up; those who go to our outdoor range when specifically asked not to as it is on private land and subject to a restriction on number of shooting days when competitions take priority, then complain that the indoor range is in fact several miles away, the directions to which are detailed in the membership enquiry pack our Secretary sends out.

We do go out of our way to encourage new members, however the frustration arises from the "tyre kickers" who either don't bother to turn up or those who do take a membership form and are never seen again.
    Free tea and coffee. Free paper targets (pistol & rifle) Free use of the clubs rifle and pistol (pcp). Free air refills. Free memberships to anyone under 18 years of age. Free range fees - just one annual membership fee.
    Nail on the heed Mike - or is that hostility?
    Ive had people contact me by e-mail for the multi page info pack which I willing send. This includes step by step, speed bump by speed bump, almost yard by yard directions, very detailed map with O/S ref., Latt & Long. and post code. They then contact me, several times further, asking questions that can be answered by reading the info already sent. Then some come wandering around a private residence in all their cammo gear with guns slung over their shoulder and when challenged by the elderly land owner they says 'Ive just come to find the place'. This is stated, THREE times in the info sheets to be strictly against club rules and possibly endangers their future membership. Yet still they come.

If you think thats hostile you should see my attitude to the club 'Gladys' The pipe smoking, bearded octogenarian (amongst other names). Our social area has been likened to the Star Wars bar.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Free tea and coffee. Free paper targets (pistol & rifle) Free use of the clubs rifle and pistol (pcp). Free air refills. Free memberships to anyone under 18 years of age. Free range fees - just one annual membership fee.
    Nail on the heed Mike - or is that hostility?
    Ive had people contact me by e-mail for the multi page info pack which I willing send. This includes step by step, speed bump by speed bump, almost yard by yard directions, very detailed map with O/S ref., Latt & Long. and post code. They then contact me, several times further, asking questions that can be answered by reading the info already sent. Then some come wandering around a private residence in all their cammo gear with guns slung over their shoulder and when challenged by the elderly land owner they says 'Ive just come to find the place'. This is stated, THREE times in the info sheets to be strictly against club rules and possibly endangers their future membership. Yet still they come.

If you think thats hostile you should see my attitude to the club 'Gladys' The pipe smoking, bearded octogenarian (amongst other names). Our social area has been likened to the Star Wars bar.

ATB
    Ian
    Yup, ours is similar! Though we do have an honesty box for tea/coffee/pies/bacon rolls/Air etc.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    Yup, ours is similar! Though we do have an honesty box for tea/coffee/pies/bacon rolls/Air etc.
    We did ......

... but someone nicked it.

If it was anything like our kettle, it would be hidden, the lid would get glued on, it would get chained and locked to the fire grate (away from the plug), the spoons would be hidden and the one remaining have a big hole drilled into it

We have some very sick members.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    If it was anything like our kettle, it would be hidden, the lid would get glued on, it would get chained and locked to the fire grate (away from the plug), the spoons would be hidden and the one remaining have a big hole drilled into it We have some very sick members.
    Hang on a bit - didn't you do that, normally when you go away for the weekend to a WWII re-enactment??
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Hang on a bit - didn't you do that, normally when you go away for the weekend to a WWII re-enactment??
    WWII re-enactment??? I may tell you I was a war baby.
    As soon as my mum and dad saw me they started fighting.

Ah wish this thread had cropped up before I became club secretary

I guess I must be a serial emailer as I've contacted two clubs three times now over a period of six weeks.
    So that explains why they're not bothering to reply.
    Thanks
    That clears it up.

Quote Originally Posted by andyals View Post
    I guess I must be a serial emailer as I've contacted two clubs three times now over a period of six weeks.
    So that explains why they're not bothering to reply.
    Thanks
    That clears it up.
    As your home town is shown as Plymouth and you have recently returned to Peterborough, are you confused and have sent your membership enquiries to a boxing club or some other organisation?

As your home town is shown as Plymouth and you have recently returned to Peterborough, are you confused and have sent your membership enquiries to a boxing club or some other organisation?
    No
    My home town is plymouth but I'm now living in Peterborough caring for my dad for the foreseeable future.
    No confusion

Cant find a club? Theres no need to sell your pistol. http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....4-March-pistol

Start your own club. I did (twice. Rivington Riflemen and Blackburn Outdoor Airgun Club). Both clubs are still thriving and have provided and providing safe shooting for hundreds of airgunners.

ATB
    Ian

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Club peterborough

Andy

I suggest you contact www.tenrings.co.uk , the contact is John Marchant, John is an active pistol shooter and coach in that area and active with the Eastern Region Shooting squads, I'm sure he would help, and advise you if, and where you can shoot.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?