Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The problem with clubs

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Which are FREE

Agreed. If an emailer cant be bothered to put subject - I cant be bothered to reply.
    As I stated, I used the words membership enquiry in my emails.
    I'm sensing a certain amount of hostility towards new shooters in this thread.
    Aren't you supposed to be promoting shooting as a sport and attracting new members.

Quote Originally Posted by andyals View Post
    Aren't you supposed to be promoting shooting as a sport and attracting new members.
    I don't see any hostility, just an explanation of why club secretaries may not have replied sooner. Some of us have day jobs and families too.

Sometimes emails get lost in the ether, so it won't hurt to ask again.

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Our hostility is legendary.

That's why we offer a free visit (usually with the use of one of our members' equipment) free pistol coaching from qualified coaches, free coaching for HFT and FT from National champions - we really try to discourage anyone who makes an enquiry and makes arrangements to visit our club.

What we object to are the serial e-mailers who don't turn up; those who go to our outdoor range when specifically asked not to as it is on private land and subject to a restriction on number of shooting days when competitions take priority, then complain that the indoor range is in fact several miles away, the directions to which are detailed in the membership enquiry pack our Secretary sends out.

We do go out of our way to encourage new members, however the frustration arises from the "tyre kickers" who either don't bother to turn up or those who do take a membership form and are never seen again.

As Ian said, try another email, sickness, holidays or working away from home may cause a delayed reply; speak to local gun shops for further informaation.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    Our hostility is legendary.

That's why we offer a free visit (usually with the use of one of our members' equipment) free pistol coaching from qualified coaches, free coaching for HFT and FT from National champions - we really try to discourage anyone who makes an enquiry and makes arrangements to visit our club.

What we object to are the serial e-mailers who don't turn up; those who go to our outdoor range when specifically asked not to as it is on private land and subject to a restriction on number of shooting days when competitions take priority, then complain that the indoor range is in fact several miles away, the directions to which are detailed in the membership enquiry pack our Secretary sends out.

We do go out of our way to encourage new members, however the frustration arises from the "tyre kickers" who either don't bother to turn up or those who do take a membership form and are never seen again.
    Free tea and coffee. Free paper targets (pistol & rifle) Free use of the clubs rifle and pistol (pcp). Free air refills. Free memberships to anyone under 18 years of age. Free range fees - just one annual membership fee.
    Nail on the heed Mike - or is that hostility?
    Ive had people contact me by e-mail for the multi page info pack which I willing send. This includes step by step, speed bump by speed bump, almost yard by yard directions, very detailed map with O/S ref., Latt & Long. and post code. They then contact me, several times further, asking questions that can be answered by reading the info already sent. Then some come wandering around a private residence in all their cammo gear with guns slung over their shoulder and when challenged by the elderly land owner they says 'Ive just come to find the place'. This is stated, THREE times in the info sheets to be strictly against club rules and possibly endangers their future membership. Yet still they come.

If you think thats hostile you should see my attitude to the club 'Gladys' The pipe smoking, bearded octogenarian (amongst other names). Our social area has been likened to the Star Wars bar.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Free tea and coffee. Free paper targets (pistol & rifle) Free use of the clubs rifle and pistol (pcp). Free air refills. Free memberships to anyone under 18 years of age. Free range fees - just one annual membership fee.
    Nail on the heed Mike - or is that hostility?
    Ive had people contact me by e-mail for the multi page info pack which I willing send. This includes step by step, speed bump by speed bump, almost yard by yard directions, very detailed map with O/S ref., Latt & Long. and post code. They then contact me, several times further, asking questions that can be answered by reading the info already sent. Then some come wandering around a private residence in all their cammo gear with guns slung over their shoulder and when challenged by the elderly land owner they says 'Ive just come to find the place'. This is stated, THREE times in the info sheets to be strictly against club rules and possibly endangers their future membership. Yet still they come.

If you think thats hostile you should see my attitude to the club 'Gladys' The pipe smoking, bearded octogenarian (amongst other names). Our social area has been likened to the Star Wars bar.

ATB
    Ian
    Yup, ours is similar! Though we do have an honesty box for tea/coffee/pies/bacon rolls/Air etc.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    Yup, ours is similar! Though we do have an honesty box for tea/coffee/pies/bacon rolls/Air etc.
    We did ......

... but someone nicked it.

If it was anything like our kettle, it would be hidden, the lid would get glued on, it would get chained and locked to the fire grate (away from the plug), the spoons would be hidden and the one remaining have a big hole drilled into it

We have some very sick members.

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    If it was anything like our kettle, it would be hidden, the lid would get glued on, it would get chained and locked to the fire grate (away from the plug), the spoons would be hidden and the one remaining have a big hole drilled into it We have some very sick members.
    Hang on a bit - didn't you do that, normally when you go away for the weekend to a WWII re-enactment??
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    Hang on a bit - didn't you do that, normally when you go away for the weekend to a WWII re-enactment??
    WWII re-enactment??? I may tell you I was a war baby.
    As soon as my mum and dad saw me they started fighting.

Ah wish this thread had cropped up before I became club secretary

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefan View Post
    Ah wish this thread had cropped up before I became club secretary
    Club secretary aka Kindergarten Cop.
    Only last night we found out one of our members (quite an apt description) hadn't closed the air bottle properly on Wednesday and ALL the air leaked out overnight.
    Last week we found a have full cup of tea resting on the main very live fuse box.

Dont you just love em.

Club secretary aka Kindergarten Cop.
    Only last night we found out one of our members (quite an apt description) hadn't closed the air bottle properly on Wednesday and ALL the air leaked out overnight.
    Last week we found a have full cup of tea resting on the main very live fuse box.

Dont you just love em.
    Oh the joy
    Last time I work away at the weekend

As an outsider from the club guys talking above, I have read this thread with an open mind and do not see any hostility to anyone. I don't see them aimed at you so I think you are being a bit touchy.
    I don't remember going to any club for HFT and FT or indoor range where I have not been made welcome over the many years that I have shot .

Being part of a club is about mixing with people having a bit of give and take, and not expecting everything to be run like a business.

What you will find is safety is put before anything in all of the clubs that have visited.
    keep trying as the other posts have said, and things will happen.
    BASC

Hi Andyals

Peterborough area is quite a large one but I'll try to help. I used to be a member of two of the local clubs and was Chairman of the County Association for a short while but still live in the area and use the outdoor range for rimfire shooting as an individual.

There's one club based at the local outdoor range (close to the A1) that is primarily rimfire.

There's a second based there that concentrates on Field target but has a few benchrest air shooters.

There's a third based at Alconbury. Again primarily rimfire but a few years ago, they absorbed the now defunct St Ives club which was mainly air. I'm led to believe that the majority of St Ives air shooters gave up after the assimilation. Politics!!!!

There's a fourth club based at an indoor range at Whittlesey that caters for all disciplines including black powder . This is a fairly small range and gets quite busy.

The next nearest range, to the best of my knowledge, is an indoor facility close to the centre of Cambridge. I know that this range has a fairly large, dedicated 10m air range used by several clubs and this would appear to be your best bet.

If you like, I can put you in touch with the relevant people. Just drop me a PM.

Catweasel

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
    As an outsider from the club guys talking above, I have read this thread with an open mind and do not see any hostility to anyone. I don't see them aimed at you so I think you are being a bit touchy.
    I don't remember going to any club for HFT and FT or indoor range where I have not been made welcome over the many years that I have shot .

Being part of a club is about mixing with people having a bit of give and take, and not expecting everything to be run like a business.

What you will find is safety is put before anything in all of the clubs that have visited.
    keep trying as the other posts have said, and things will happen.
    Im sorry if you thought my comments were hostile in any way ANDYALS. You will get used to me - I dislike everyone equally.
    With regards to friendliness. Ive visited many local airgun clubs (and shops) over the years in this area and, even when they know what to expect from me Ive always been treated friendly. Even ZOOMA has a warm welcome and look at the stick I give him !

With regards to safety. No matter what childish pranks we get up to, what jokes we play on our fellow members, one thing always take priority above everything and all things - SAFETY. Its also an unwritten ruling that 'you do not touch anyone elses equipment without their permission'.
    Mind you - there has been a couple of occasions when a scope has been swapped on the wrong rifle in error and the wrong gun has gone home.

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 22-02-2020 at 10:06 AM.

Yes OK but if the only way to get in touch with the club is through their contact page what choice do I have. In the subject field I put "membership enquiry"
    If email enquiries are going to be ignored as a nuisance then one wonders how shooting as a sport hasn't gone down the plug hole.
    Maybe the details are out of date, try www.shootingclubdirectory.com
    or phone the NRA NSRA ask if they have details for the club(s) they gave me totally different phone & email to those on the local club web page, which didn't seem to have been updated since 2012.