Thread: Introduction and BSA Lincoln Jeffries Air Rifle

Introduction and BSA Lincoln Jeffries Air Rifle

Hi All,
    Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this forum. I知 hoping to learn a CB lot here from you all.
    My specific interest is gathering information on the BSA Lincoln Jeffries Air Rifle, particularly the ones used in the Irish Rebellion during the Easter Rising of 1916.
    I知 part of a living history group and would like to collect a few to educate the public on the variety of weaponry the Irish Volunteers used at the Rising and before. Any research books you may know of that are available would be appreciated as well. Thanks you and glad to be here,
    Michael Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by mboyd View Post
    Hi All,
    Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this forum. I知 hoping to learn a CB lot here from you all.
    My specific interest is gathering information on the BSA Lincoln Jeffries Air Rifle, particularly the ones used in the Irish Rebellion during the Easter Rising of 1916.
    I知 part of a living history group and would like to collect a few to educate the public on the variety of weaponry the Irish Volunteers used at the Rising and before. Any research books you may know of that are available would be appreciated as well. Thanks you and glad to be here,
    Michael Boyd
    Welcome, Michael.

Was the BSA used in the Easter Rising? I've never heard that! What for, for training in the use of firearms?

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi All,
    Michael Boyd
    Hi and welcome to the BBS, l have never heard about the BSA air rifle being used in the Irish rebellion. so l await to be educated.

Hi All,
    Michael Boyd
    Hello Michael

Interesting subject, as said on another thread i have seen a Gem type air rifle with the UVF logo stamp, and seen others advertised for sale over the years, these i assume were amongst the arms imported from Germany.
    I have never heard of BSA's being used but it would make sense that air rifles were used as trainers during that period.

Hi All,
    Michael Boyd
    What is a CB lot ?

Hello Michael,

Welcome to the BBS and what an interesting subject.

I have not heard of the Lincoln Jeffries/BSA being used during the Irish Rebellion but some of the retailers that originally sold the rifles in Ireland may have had some involvement.

I believe a Belfast based importer by the name of R J Adgey had some involvement with gun running and have been trying to unearth the whole story for some time. Adgey was not involved with BSAs to any great degree as far as I know but his markings can be found on Belgian Jean Marck/Marck Brothers produced 'Gem' type airguns. He also had his name and Belfast stamped on some adjustable aperture sights that I have known to have been fitted to the Gem types.

Please let us know if you know anything more of Adgey.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hello Michael,

Welcome to the BBS and what an interesting subject.

I have not heard of the Lincoln Jeffries/BSA being used during the Irish Rebellion but some of the retailers that originally sold the rifles in Ireland may have had some involvement.

I believe a Belfast based importer by the name of R J Adgey had some involvement with gun running and have been trying to unearth the whole story for some time. Adgey was not involved with BSAs to any great degree as far as I know but his markings can be found on Belgian Jean Marck/Marck Brothers produced 'Gem' type airguns. He also had his name and Belfast stamped on some adjustable aperture sights that I have known to have been fitted to the Gem types.

Please let us know if you know anything more of Adgey.

Kind regards,

John
    Hi John

I am not old enough to have know R J Adgey but remenber his family pawn shop on the Shankill road in Belfast, and as a youth in the early 60's, used to buy my slugs and pellets there, never remember any guns on view .

He did write a book about arming the 'Ulster Volunteers' so very unlikely as a loyalist to have had any dealings with providing arms for the Irish Rebellion.

All the best

Bob

Interesting thread,

I have a BSA improved model D, that I picked up last year, straight hand stock, Ser. No. 41766 (According to Knibbs book manufactured May/July 1911. Despatched May 1911 / January 1914).

Marked with a retailers stamp (or I assume it is) over the piled arms logo of Hunter and Sons, Belfast.

If that is any help?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Hi John

I am not old enough to have know R J Adgey but remenber his family pawn shop on the Shankill road in Belfast, and as a youth in the early 60's, used to buy my slugs and pellets there, never remember any guns on view .

He did write a book about arming the 'Ulster Volunteers' so very unlikely as a loyalist to have had any dealings with providing arms for the Irish Rebellion.

All the best

Bob
    Hi Bob,

Thank you for that most interesting post. Do you happen to know what the R J stands for?

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Bob,

Thank you for that most interesting post. Do you happen to know what the R J stands for?

Kind regards,

John
    Yes, my name also Robert James

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Yes, my name also Robert James
    Thank you very much Bob.

Kind regards,

John