Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cocking a break barrel

Jolly well done and 'thank you' Steyr for sorting this.
    We could do with more people like you to sort out issues like this. Nobody seems to want to accept resposibility / accountability these days but you seem to have scored gold. Maybe they saw sense over any impending litigation.
    But whatever ... well done.
    Phil

I have noticed some people whilst holding on to the cocking lever allow their lever
    Restraining hand to slide up the lever close to the fulcrum point this to my mind is nearly as bad as not holding the cocking lever at all!, not only will they get that hand squashed but if their fingers are in the loading port those as well please unless your built like The proverbial brick what’s it!, hold at the end giving you enough strength and time to react to a failure.
    Incidentally some have disabled the Anti-bear trap as well!, (TX).
    Keep safe,
    Dave.

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Absolutely not ... even rifles with anti-bear traps or auto safety. Always hold onto barrel or lever.
    I do not know of an HFT club that does not insist on this as part of the safety practice. But I have seen a few people cock, let barrel swing free while they load ... or maybe use little finger to steady the swing .... I have mentioned the error to them but generally get a 'grrrmph' as they carry on. I even saw a youngster doing it while his father (?) watched. On pointing out the safety implications I was greeted with words to the effect that 'I've always done it like this so what's the problem'.

Some people thank you for the advice mind ....
    Cheers, Phil

PS .. maybe a carefully worded e mail to the errant manufacturer should be sent ....
    We do at lea valley, someone doing that on the plinking or range would get pulled up real quick. Makes you shudder when you think what it would do to errant fingers. Still a real good way to learn the correct way to load a spring gun,only need to screw up once and a lesson learn for life. .
    HERX77 .
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.

Quote Originally Posted by Herx77 View Post
    We do at lea valley, someone doing that on the plinking or range would get pulled up real quick. Makes you shudder when you think what it would do to errant fingers. Still a real good way to learn the correct way to load a spring gun,only need to screw up once and a lesson learn for life. .
    HERX77 .
    Anyone doing that with a break barrel or an under lever esp with a sliding cover would get an immediate bollocking from me. Then shown HOW and the reasons why explained. I usually google thumb injuries and show them. That usually does the trick.

My other pet hate is pellet suckers. Peeps who put pellets in their lips to load. Bloody red rag to a bull
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    On a side lever, stick your right upper arm next to the cocked lever and hold the body of the gun with your right hand. If it goes off, you'll get a bruised arm but the chances of losing a finger should be much lower (I reckon, haven't tried it!). It also ensures the non-loading hand is away from the trigger.

BB
    I deliberately tried releasing the mechanism on my '52 into my tricep with all the safety mechanisms disabled. Result is that a firm grip on the body of the rifle will allow you to hold the lever back. If the lever is a long way from your upper arm it would probably hurt a lot. Up close gave no bruises. If your arm isn't there or the grip is not positive then the gun will just close the breech on any fingers. Your friends can call you stumpy.

BB