Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cocking a break barrel

People still use break barrels?

Weak hand cocking is best because it saves clumsy gun juggling that I have seen some shooters doing. Not easy with some guns, though.

Sidelever: I use the edge of the bench or tabletop or my elbow to block the lever when loading. Takes getting used to.

I was always taught as a kid to hold on to the barrel

Update

I had a reply from the manufacturer. Apparently you can let your barrel swing around loke a haddock in a sea breeze as they have an anti bear trap that isolates the trigger and their product literature covers off safe handling element too.

I have asked them to confirm that the gun is 100% guaranteed safe and no matter what, will not discharge under any circumstances ever and that not trusting an ABT device means that holding the barrel when cocking and loading is a waste of ones personal security time.

I have also asked for a copy of their handling manual for this rifle so we can all learn where the basic safety techniques we were taught are fundamentally flawed.

I am looking forward to the confirmation that they have developed a mechanical system that will always be perfect and will never.... ever.... fail.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol p View Post
    People still use break barrels?
    Only the connoisseurs.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    I had a reply from the manufacturer. Apparently you can let your barrel swing around loke a haddock in a sea breeze as they have an anti bear trap that isolates the trigger and their product literature covers off safe handling element too.

I have asked them to confirm that the gun is 100% guaranteed safe and no matter what, will not discharge under any circumstances ever and that not trusting an ABT device means that holding the barrel when cocking and loading is a waste of ones personal security time.

I have also asked for a copy of their handling manual for this rifle so we can all learn where the basic safety techniques we were taught are fundamentally flawed.

I am looking forward to the confirmation that they have developed a mechanical system that will always be perfect and will never.... ever.... fail.
    That'll be a non-sensical and ill-informed reply then.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Do you have their comments in writing? Preferably signed by someone of note in the company.
    Sounds to me like they do not want to be seen as having made a mistake and could well be digging a hole for themselves.

It will be interesting to see the published information ...
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Do you have their comments in writing? Preferably signed by someone of note in the company.
    Sounds to me like they do not want to be seen as having made a mistake and could well be digging a hole for themselves.

It will be interesting to see the published information ...
    Cheers, Phil
    Yes I do. Otherwise I wouldnt comment. I am waiting for the original correspondent to reply to my initial response. A colleague has acknowledged and passed it on as the person didnt use hos personal email for reasons unknown. He is UK sales director

I am summarising their responses at the moment and will consider making the full discussion visible if they insist its OK to cock an underlever and let the operator load withought rigidly holding onto the barrel.

It might need some additional comments from the people they are encouraging to put themselves in harms way to reconsider their stance. Or maybe the training arms of the NSRA and NRA may want to comment....

The are running the vid on their UK website too.
    Last edited by Steyr; 21-02-2020 at 03:40 PM.

I like my fingers, HOLD ON.

Ora

Smack the front sight, yank the barrel down , let go the barrel and transfer pellel to breech via mouth. Seen it done

Smack the front sight, yank the barrel down , let go the barrel and transfer pellel to breech via mouth. Another 20 or so still in the gob, it's a repeaters Seen it done

On a side lever, stick your right upper arm next to the cocked lever and hold the body of the gun with your right hand. If it goes off, you'll get a bruised arm but the chances of losing a finger should be much lower (I reckon, haven't tried it!). It also ensures the non-loading hand is away from the trigger.

BB

That nearly sounded rude, Seth.

FINAL UPDATE

after being ignored and requiring 2 additional chasers, I just had an email from the poor bloke who was having to front this whilst the sapes/marketing director gave orders from behind the front line.

Apparently, the Managing Director no less has pulled the plug on this video as presumably, the sales director wasnt able to get the engineering side to support or vaildate his belief in a 100 % guaranteed ABT or that the operators manual gave adequate instruction assuring that the non holding of a break barrel was perfectly safe.

It seems that the video has been pulled.

I thanked them and said a right decision. I also said it was a shame that the original sales director didnt have the cahoonies to deal with the matter himself and he needed a bit of a kick up the arse. That isnt verbatim but the essential message.

Now just brexit and corona to sort out.....😎😎

Now that you're on a roll, sorting those last two items on the agenda should be easy.

Eh?