Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12g BLACK POWDER

12g BLACK POWDER

Just loaded myself a couple of boxes of black powder to whang at the clays.
    Anyone else get the pleasure I do with a foot of flame a big bang and lots of smoke?
    Surprised at the number of folk who "want ago" and the smile it brings to shoot my old Wild hammergun which is only proofed for black powder.

If only the black powder was easier to obtain.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dunkley View Post
    Just loaded myself a couple of boxes of black powder to whang at the clays.
    Anyone else get the pleasure I do with a foot of flame a big bang and lots of smoke?
    Surprised at the number of folk who "want ago" and the smile it brings to shoot my old Wild hammergun which is only proofed for black powder.

If only the black powder was easier to obtain.
    I luv blackpowder! I've loaded lots of 12b just for fun. It has a totally different feel to firing nitro. Most clay ranges don't allow them though. They claim the smoke cloud puts off the next shooter! I don't have a problem getting the black stuff though. I had a couple of kilos at the gun show last week and Kranks and Swiss are easy enough to get down here in deepest Wales.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Black powder

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    I luv blackpowder! I've loaded lots of 12b just for fun. It has a totally different feel to firing nitro. Most clay ranges don't allow them though. They claim the smoke cloud puts off the next shooter! I don't have a problem getting the black stuff though. I had a couple of kilos at the gun show last week and Kranks and Swiss are easy enough to get down here in deepest Wales.

Who was it selling at the show? I asked Clay and Game and they said they were not allowed to take it to the show!
    I can get it from Kranks but it's a long ride.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Who was it selling at the show? I asked Clay and Game and they said they were not allowed to take it to the show!
    I can get it from Kranks but it's a long ride.
    Westlander. From west Yorkshire I think. He sells loads of ammo each year and Lovex powder galore. I had it there last year as well, £48 a kilo. It's a make I've not heard of before- vesuvit, but it goes bang well enough.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

markreid is offline Happy to be fishing and shooting
    find it hard to get around the north west Lancashire , either a trip to kranks or Skipton gun room these days about hour and half each way minimum argh
    There is no such thing as a dangerous gun, there are dangeruous people though

I shoot BP at my local clay club and no one minds- always have two or three people wanting to try a 160
    Year old sxs! It’s the only gun I know that when people miss a clay they still smile when they hand it back!

anything B.P is fun I do enjoy clays if I can get to shoot with someone who owns a shotgun but I also love my revolver. It always draws a group of people from the side ranges wondering what the noise and smoke is and you could easily blast off all your powder and caps by letting people have a go, they always hand it back with that wide grin after firing a .44 B.P
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil

Another of my bp boxes went this morning so lots of people are getting into it.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    Another of my bp boxes went this morning so lots of people are getting into it.
    Hi would you mind sharing your standard black powder load formula,

I put together BP clay loads for my 20g SxS and use the on the grouse set up.
    Way too much fun.
    I have found that an equal volume 21g load does not pattern as well as the square 24g load.
    This is annoying because i can get a star crimp on the 21g but need to roll the 24g.
    (I like to use a length of wad that exceeds the diameter of the bore).

Hi would you mind sharing your standard black powder load formula,
    1 dram of black to each half ounce of shot is a fairly standard rule of thumb.
    Robin

This may help. Obviously, safe reloading is the responsibility of the individual.

Scroll down the pages to see the loads.

http://www.traditionalmuzzleloader.c...smoothbore-gun

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    This may help. Obviously, safe reloading is the responsibility of the individual.

Scroll down the pages to see the loads.

http://www.traditionalmuzzleloader.c...smoothbore-gun
    I note your point and thanks for the link. I had not seen that one.
    The data is aimed at muzzle loading which I do not do. I was asking about cartridge loads but the data seem very similar.

I note your point and thanks for the link. I had not seen that one.
    The data is aimed at muzzle loading which I do not do. I was asking about cartridge loads but the data seem very similar.
    I think the only difference between the loads for muzzleloaders and cartridge loads would be the resistance caused by the crimp or rolled turnover. Perhaps reducing the load by 10% would compensate for this?

For 20g cartridge clay loads I use the 4.0cc Lee dipper.
    This gives me 24g of 7.5 lead shot and I use an equal volume of FFFG.
    An exceedingly pleasant load.