Thread: MTC connect or Hawke compact

MTC connect or Hawke compact

That is the question
    I have a FX verminator currently topped with a Hawk sidewinder 4/16x50 but i want to cut the weight down as my permission is huge and i can walk 10 miles on a good day out . I have had two MTC scopes and they where nowhere near as good as the hawke scopes i have used
    I am now looking between the two scopes mentioned what do the masses think also the eye relief of the connect is a bit scary coming from a full bore background

Funny. I had the opposite view re hawks optical quality being worse than MTC.

The main advantage was with MTC, Gary and Sammie would get things sorted. Hawke for me was 50/50 Russian roulette. ... either excellent or total shite.

Optically, MTC has become even better and hawke have upped their game too re my perceived quality.

The connect .... well I could never connect with it. My eyes found it weird.

I cant comment in the hawke as its not something I go out of my way to look at tbh.

As for eye relief.... if its on a PCP whats the issue. A .338 LM I get your point but it isnt an issue really is it.

Boils down to how your eye works with both and how the image works for you and your brain.

Personally I like the MTC scb ret and some of the variants.

You need to look through both... side by side if you can .... but thats not always possible. The BSS would have been a possible opportunity.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

I have two 4-16x50 Hawke sidewinders and love them. I find the glass is crystal clear in low light .

I've got an MTC Connect 2-12 x 24 and a Hawke Panorama 4-12 x 40 AO and both are excellent for the price in my view. As mentioned however, you really need to look through them, particularly the MTC Connect which doesn't suit everyone's eyes.

I prefer the MTC as the field of view is larger and you feel much more immersed in the view and it's quicker to acquire the target. Just don't put it on a springer! If you were buying unseen however, then unless you can return the scope, the Hawke is more conventional and would be the safer option.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    The Airmax compact is a good scope with decent glass and a lot less wieght but still side focus, I got one from here, give them a call as they had good prices:

Derwent Air Rifles and Accessories

Gun shop in Cockermouth, England

Address: 6 The Old Kings Arms Lane, Cockermouth CA13 9LS

Phone: 01900 825511

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Funny. I had the opposite view re hawks optical quality being worse than MTC.

The main advantage was with MTC, Gary and Sammie would get things sorted. Hawke for me was 50/50 Russian roulette. ... either excellent or total shite.

Optically, MTC has become even better and hawke have upped their game too re my perceived quality.

The connect .... well I could never connect with it. My eyes found it weird.

I cant comment in the hawke as its not something I go out of my way to look at tbh.

As for eye relief.... if its on a PCP whats the issue. A .338 LM I get your point but it isnt an issue really is it.

Boils down to how your eye works with both and how the image works for you and your brain.

Personally I like the MTC scb ret and some of the variants.

You need to look through both... side by side if you can .... but thats not always possible. The BSS would have been a possible opportunity.
    Thanks for all the replies No great hurry as its so wet its going to be a month at least until i get out much
    As for the Hawke MTC debate it may be the case indeed that it comes down to the individual eye

It's down to what your eye likes.
    The cheap Hawkes 10 years ago were pretty poor, today even the cheapest are much better, the Sidewinder has always been good quality I've got a 4-16x50 & love it.
    I've got 2 MTC (optisan) mamba-lites, which I love but they're not as good as the Sidewinder, I don't get on as well with new MTC scopes, but I'm very impressed with my Optisan EVX ffp.

The Sidewinder is a pretty big & heavy lump, so I can understand your wanting a lighter model but there's a lot of choice around that price level.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    It's down to what your eye likes.
    The cheap Hawkes 10 years ago were pretty poor, today even the cheapest are much better, the Sidewinder has always been good quality I've got a 4-16x50 & love it.
    I've got 2 MTC (optisan) mamba-lites, which I love but they're not as good as the Sidewinder, I don't get on as well with new MTC scopes, but I'm very impressed with my Optisan EVX ffp.

The Sidewinder is a pretty big & heavy lump, so I can understand your wanting a lighter model but there's a lot of choice around that price level.
    To be fair i bought the Verminator because i put a Bushnell elite on my Air ranger so had a spare scope
    I think the scope and laser designator weigh more than the gun !
    Next problem what do i put my spare sidewinder on !

I have a connect on my veminator and think it's great. But i've been shooting a SA80 with susat sight since 1986 so can't get on shooting long eye relief sights

https://gyazo.com/3f6ee2c4cc0d5fe66a6f70ba343e5671
    Cheers Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by fullbandit View Post
    I have a connect on my veminator and think it's great. But i've been shooting a SA80 with susat sight since 1986 so can't get on shooting long eye relief sights

https://gyazo.com/3f6ee2c4cc0d5fe66a6f70ba343e5671
    Thanks for the pic i was wondering how it would fit the verminator

I "customised" one of these type mounts to fit the connect just hacksaw and file needed

https://gyazo.com/d48520d563ddb567c2a49e6a35f5ce74 item number:293415583900
    Cheers Lloyd