Thread: Spotting Scope for Air Bench Rest !

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring

Spotting Scope for Air Bench Rest !

A bit of info please;
    Types/Makes
    Mag
    Quality
    Price

Shooting at 40 metres indoor and outdoor.
    Let me know if I’ve missed anything out, all advice most welcome !

And yes I could use the rifle mounted scope but I want to investigate a separate SS first and my scopes average 7 to 10 mag.

Thanks !
    “An airgun or two”………

Bench rest scop

Hi, if you are shooting seriously, you will need a higher power scope. I use a sightron, 36x, no problems with seeing holes at 100 yards! A seperate spotting scope just clutters up your bench, don't waste your money, get a decent rifle scope. HTH David

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragle Jnr View Post
    Hi, if you are shooting seriously, you will need a higher power scope. I use a sightron, 36x, no problems with seeing holes at 100 yards! A seperate spotting scope just clutters up your bench, don't waste your money, get a decent rifle scope. HTH David
    I've got to agree with David, I hear people defend low mag scopes for BR, but in all seriousness your looking at x20+, I use x24 on my springer and x50 dialed down to about 32 on my PCP, I only use a spotting scope for .22LR BR25 with diopter sights

x24 scopes are abundant and will make a big difference for this purpose while still being usable for lots of general stuff when dialed down.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Yup, fair point !
    Let me clarify a bit.
    I have a decent collection of spring air rifles which I’d like to use bench rested up to 40 metres both indoor and outdoor. All are presently scoped up with a selection of decent riflescopes ranging from maximum magnification from 5 to 16 mag.
    At present, I don’t want to change these rifle/scope combos.
    However out at 25m and beyond, spotting .177 cal. pellet fall isn’t easy to identify with the scopes mounted on these mags I’ve identified so a spotting scope at this point in time would be an advantage to me.
    NOW at some future point in time if I were seriously addicted to bench rest shooting on a competitive level or maybe even not quite at that standard, I may choose to acquire a suitable “long mag” rifle scope (and air rifle) but for now a relatively inexpensive but practically efficient spotting scope will suffice.
    “An airgun or two”………

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Okay, that's different, but TBH, they are so cheap to buy new you may as well just pick one up like this: https://www.jessops.com/p/jessops/sp...hoCWk4QAvD_BwE

You can sell it afterwards for half price and it's only cost you £20 - or in a beautiful part of the world like yours, keep it for wildlife
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Thanks, didn’t realise they could be had that cheaply but that would do the job !
    “An airgun or two”………