Thread: Birmingham Proof House

Birmingham Proof House

Birmingham Proof House took delivery of my ML musket barrel right at the start of December 2019.
    I was told I should get it back before Christmas, hopefully.

Short story even shorter, it's still not here as of today.

I have been given two other dates that have come and gone and also they told me they haven't had the barrel as long as I say because they took 2 weeks off for Xmas and there have been loads of weekends since they had it. So the 'working days' they have had it are much lower than what I've suggested! I'm calling it about 13 weeks as of now in their possession, their estimation was to have it delivered back to me in about 3!

But surly now we are deep into March, I have a reason to be a little annoyed?
    Last edited by MrChipShoulder; 11-03-2020 at 02:39 PM.

So I sent this email to the Proof House last Wednesday at mid day:-

"Hello,

Do you have any updates since my barrel arrived with you at the beginning of December last year?

Yours,

Robert *******."

Absolutely no reply! Normally I get a same day reply.
    So does this mean they have given up talking to me out of boredom, should I just ask for it back and rely on the Leigi Proof the barrel already has?

Write to them. Confirm what you sent. Keep it to the point.

e-mails can go astray or get ignored. It is easy for them to slip down the list and get missed if they receive a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChipShoulder View Post
    So I sent this email to the Proof House last Wednesday at mid day:-

"Hello,

Do you have any updates since my barrel arrived with you at the beginning of December last year?

Yours,

Robert *******."

Absolutely no reply! Normally I get a same day reply.
    So does this mean they have given up talking to me out of boredom, should I just ask for it back and rely on the Leigi Proof the barrel already has?
    Does the law allow them to return a barrel that could possibly be out of proof?

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by mel h View Post
    Does the law allow them to return a barrel that could possibly be out of proof?
    Yes indeed, it is not illegal to own a barrel which is out of proof, or even not proofed, or one which has failed proof. It would be illegal to sell any of these though. Sometimes (particularly shotgun barrels) it is possible to repair them and then re-submit for proof.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Doubt I'll get my barrel back now with this Corona issue.
    Been with them now for 4 whole months!
    I could be restoring the gun in my WS while I self isolate !!

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I don't want to worry you, but my pistol was sent off for proofing in Birmingham in 1840, and I only got it in January!?

Stay safe
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Doubt I'll get my barrel back now with this Corona issue.
    Been with them now for 4 whole months!
    I could be restoring the gun in my WS while I self isolate !!
    Have you written to them? Send a letter by recorded delivery. If you let it fade away so will they.

There is no reason why it cannot be sent back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I don't want to worry you, but my pistol was sent off for proofing in Birmingham in 1840, and I only got it in January!?

Stay safe
    They obviously don't rush!
    In that case Mrchipshoulder has another 179 years and 8 months to wait before he gets it back.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    Have you written to them? Send a letter by recorded delivery. If you let it fade away so will they.

There is no reason why it cannot be sent back to you.
    They have replied to me twice in the past over this barrel via email, so it is clear to me they are just ignoring me as they have run out of excuses!
    I see no reason why they'd simply not just ignore a letter as well, but I'll then have wasted money sending a recorded letter.

At the end of the day, I can prove to the police why the gun is not in my cabinet if they ever need to see, and my club is fully shut, so I couldn't use it anyway.

It would just be nice to have it back so I can clean up and refinish the stock and refinish the barrel. It would have been a really nice way to spend some time in the workshop keeping busy at this time.

As it is now, I have no idea if the gun is viable, so not worth even looking at the parts I do have (lock and stock). If I knew the barrel had failed, I could start hunting for another flinter.

I know at this time it's all a bit inappropriate to be worrying about such matters.

They have replied to me twice in the past over this barrel via email, so it is clear to me they are just ignoring me as they have run out of excuses!
    I see no reason why they'd simply not just ignore a letter as well, but I'll then have wasted money sending a recorded letter.

At the end of the day, I can prove to the police why the gun is not in my cabinet if they ever need to see, and my club is fully shut, so I couldn't use it anyway.

It would just be nice to have it back so I can clean up and refinish the stock and refinish the barrel. It would have been a really nice way to spend some time in the workshop keeping busy at this time.

As it is now, I have no idea if the gun is viable, so not worth even looking at the parts I do have (lock and stock). If I knew the barrel had failed, I could start hunting for another flinter.

I know at this time it's all a bit inappropriate to be worrying about such matters.
    It does seem a bit odd that they have not done the barrel or told you anything about it. I hope it eventually comes to a satisfactory conclusion.

When you say "could start hunting for another flinter" do you mean a complete gun? The reason i ask is because it is possible to buy just a barrel from Arms fairs and you may be able to find one that fits. I would restore the lock and stock in case you can find something, or if you get your own barrel back.

I know at present Arms Fairs are not being done but this situation with the virus cannot, hopefully, last forever, and we can get back to normal.

There is no point in doing anything to the stock until I have the my barrel back as I have no idea if it will pass proof. I'd be very mad at myself if I got the stock back to a really nice finish, only to find the barrel is scrap. I'd never find another barrel that fits this stock perfectly with no adjusting of the finished wood.

If it fails, I'll simply buy a whole new gun, as trying to find a barrel only would be a nightmare and a huge waste of time and fuel travelling all around the country. I've been offered a nice Pedersoli BB for a fair price, and I've been told there are plenty of even cheaper options out there to buy.

I'm sure the proof house are ignoring me. I sent them another email yesterday, no reply again. I wish I'd sent it to London now, rather than Birmingham!

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Why not try calling them - they may not be work?

I did ring them in the end the other day, they said this week.
    Got a call today saying it's done and proofed.
    So it took some time (4 months), but all done in the end

I did ring them in the end the other day, they said this week.
    Got a call today saying it's done and proofed.
    So it took some time (4 months), but all done in the end
    A good result even if it did take a WHILE.