Thread: Hello from a new member.

Wink Hello from a new member.

Hi all, l have recently started shooting, borrowing a friend's bsa r10 and a pard nv007.
    We’ve been out on several occasions bagging around 50 rats around a grain store ( with owners permission of course)and a few rabbits in the surrounding fields(same agreed permission).
    I am interested in picking up my own equipment and have been looking at a number of different pcp air rifles however the choice and cost is making my head spin like a bunny in the lights. Any ideas on the best bang for buck pcp would be greatly appreciated. New for budget or used for quality.
    Cheers in advance Rob.

Welcome aboard can't reallly help with pfft gun choices I'm afraid but plenty of members on here who can and will be able to help .
    If you liked your mates R10 try looking for one of those maybe?

something like a hw100,AA s410/s510. depends on what you need. a carbine so nice and short for the ratting. id buy secondhand as you will get a much beter deal. fir is everything with guns so go to your local gunshop and try a few out he has and then look at secondhand prices for full kit. welcome to the forum also. chris

I recommend the Air Arms S410 / S510 series, if they fall within your budget. I exclusively use the AA S510 Ultimate Sporter with ATN 4K night vision.

At the risk of hijacking your thread with an age old debate, I use .177 for the flat trajectory and I consistently achieve clean kills against rats and rabbits.

…...and welcome!

Thanks for the reply’s I will have a look at the air arms s series as a starter

You could do a lot worse than a BSA Scorpion, I recently got hold of one in .25 & I really am impressed with it.
    The thing about buying used is what choice is actually available to you.

Given the current situation who knows what's going to happen to prices, or looking at it from the other way are you sure your own situation is going to allow you to buy ?

Welcome to the forum, Rob.

Like Bluefan, I'm far from expert in matters relating to PCPs, but it looks like you're already receiving some excellent advice.

Enjoy.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Welcome

Many choices but, for me you could do a lot than an AA410 or AA510 second hand.

welcome to the forum mate

Welcome to the forum, Rob

Sorry but what others recommend is a bit of a red herring.

The gun you REALLY need is the one that fits you best and 'feels" right.

You wont know that till you try.

The R10 is a good balanced rifle. Decent benchmark to go by.

Next is use.... is it a paper puncher, HFT or hunter or combination.

Mag fed is better for hunting. If so, does it offer a single shot adapter if you want to do comp work

Mag systems. Best is HW100. If they stick out, you may get saddle clash with the scope body and the mag or some NV is mono rail so wont work with some mag systems. The HW100 single shot is also the best and I cannot see any difference in group size between mag or single. Some systems may open group size typically when using a mag. Also HW100 is 14 shot in .177 and no mechanism to gunk up. Just a rubber band to hold pellets in place and I think in all my years I have only had 1 failure. I Have 6 mags for hunting. Thats 84 shots ready to roll.

Shot count Vs refilling when out.

Balance of the rifle and is it vehicle in which case a carbine or proper bullpup would be good probably at the expense of shot count so a buddy bottle bullpup is a good feature.

Budget. PCPs usually carry a price tag plus additional equip like bottle. Access to refilling means you may want to go big bottle or small.

The Pard 008 is the better option imho as it isnt an add one and forcing your head back.

Look at 2nd hand for better value for money but caveat emptor applies. Some trustworthy sellers on BBS especially bigger post count and period on site. Make sure all of the posts are not just sales related.

Join a club to practise. If your new to shooting your taking on things that blink a bit quick possibly. Your shout.

Try HFT - it pushes you to take shots you shouldnt take at live quarry but it improves your skills very rapidly and better than any club range can
    Last edited by Steyr; 20-03-2020 at 10:59 AM.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Just an update I’ve now purchased myself a brocock compatto .177 popped a sight on it and will be using it for a bit of target shooting to get to grips with distancing then rats and rabbits. The good weather can’t be far away now so looking forward to a few evenings out.