Thread: Weihrauch adjustable front sight

Weihrauch adjustable front sight

I thought I would try my HW99S in the MPL competition, however the front sight post is a bit thin and I wanted to better match the wider notch I had chosen on the rear sight. I'm not sure I should admit this, however, I've just found out (the hard way!) that the knurling on the HW99 front sight is only cosmetic and doesn't screw out to remove the foresight post, which I stupidly thought was reversible. I couldn't budge it by hand (obvious why now!) so tried to turn it in a vice and it's now more oval than round!

Does anyone therefore know where I can buy a reasonably priced foresight unit to fit the HW99S with the adjustable elements? I did see one on John Knibbs website but it was £40 + postage and I'm reluctant to pay that for something I just want to try out for a bit of fun. Also, if anyone has one for sale then please let me know.

I also have a selection of FWB300s foresight elements. Does anyone know if these would fit a Weihrauch front sight if I did manage to find one?

Lol i don't think you are on your own there, it caught me out as well !, trawl the sale adds on here & other sites as they come up 2nd hand. The 99 is a good choice for the MPL i had great success using mine.

Rob

Rob, thanks for the reply. I'll keep a lookout for one.

I'll also have a go in the MPL with the sight as it is now and see how I get on anyway. I just shot a round tonight with my FWB 300s so it'll be interesting to compare the score.

I've been working on this very problem recently - there is something in the pipeline and I will get back to it as soon as time allows.

I'm working with Russ (Phatman) to 3d print a whole new foresight including interchangeable elements - just some tweaking to do.

3d printing a sight is a good idea. Keep us posted.

Let me start with the caveat that I don’t have an HW 99, and am generally unfamiliar with newer Weihrauchs.

But older Anschutz front sights fit perfectly on my HW 55’s and other older HW’s. These are relatively easy to find, and a much greater range of metal inserts is available for them. The rear sleeve is an 18 mm thread which will take a lot of nice aftermarket accessories, too (the removable sleeve on older HW sights is 17 mm, for which new accessories are no longer made).

The threaded sleeves on German sights were made in just a few standardized sizes - 17, 18, and 22 mm - over the years, and will interchange between brands. But each maker’s metal inserts tend to be proprietary. I haven’t had much luck exchanging them between brands, though I was recently startled to learn that the inserts for older Diana match sights (17 mm thread) are identical to those for FWB sights (18 mm thread).

Don’t if they fit, but look here https://www.ant-supplies.uk/scopes-s...un-sights.html

Hello to All,

The front sight dovetails on the HWs are ca. 9 to 9.5 mm wide.

You can make some shims from 1mm steel sheet, and use these to fit current 11mm dovetail tunnels (I use Centra Score tunnels).

Very much looking forward the fruition of 1066's tunnels - these will allow rifles such as the TX200 / HW97 to have a foresight, and to be able to use rear aperture sights, as well as provide alternatives for the HW tunnel on the HW30S / HW99S

Have fun

regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Hello to All,

The front sight dovetails on the HWs are ca. 9 to 9.5 mm wide.

You can make some shims from 1mm steel sheet, and use these to fit current 11mm dovetail tunnels (I use Centra Score tunnels).

Very much looking forward the fruition of 1066's tunnels - these will allow rifles such as the TX200 / HW97 to have a foresight, and to be able to use rear aperture sights, as well as provide alternatives for the HW tunnel on the HW30S / HW99S

Have fun

regards

Russ
    Thanks Russ,

That is also very helpful information for those of us that would like to mount raiser blocks to our HW air rifles when shooting in the MPL postal competition with diopter sights - very useful if you prefer shooting "heads-up" - or just have a bad neck

Raiser blocks to fit the diopter sight on an HW air rifle are not a problem as the dovetail grooves are fairly standard at 11mm (ish), but as so few HW air rifles have barrel sleeves fitted, the front dovetails are (by necessity) narrower to fit the smaller diameter barrel width.

Bob.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.