Thread: Walther LP Mod 2 needs TLC & repair?

Walther LP Mod 2 needs TLC & repair?

Greetings all.

I browsed the forums looking for current information about this topic - but I couldn't find any recent posts about it so here goes:

I've come into possession of a Walther LP Model 2 - but working the piston produces no result. My guess - based on what I've read - is the piston seals are kaput. While my dad was a gunsmith, I've inherited none of his talents so I was hoping for a referral to a reputable person who might be able to help.

Thanks in advance for any potential leads,

PC

Quote Originally Posted by PlagueChicken View Post
    Greetings all.

I browsed the forums looking for current information about this topic - but I couldn't find any recent posts about it so here goes:

I've come into possession of a Walther LP Model 2 - but working the piston produces no result. My guess - based on what I've read - is the piston seals are kaput. While my dad was a gunsmith, I've inherited none of his talents so I was hoping for a referral to a reputable person who might be able to help.

Thanks in advance for any potential leads,

PC
    PC here is a link to previous enquiry, I have repaired two, but Lawrie Amatruda is a resident expert on these . Baz

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....P2-repair-HELP
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Many thanks

I appreciate the help received so far.

Got a quote of about $100 just to have it looked at by a fellow named Pilkington.
    Lawrie reached out (thanks very much!) - but overseas shipping seems tough to justify just to have a working plinker.

Might just invest in a new gun...path of least resistance and $ at this point.

PC

PC, these guns are known as finicky so many repairers don't want to tackle them. Mostly I think people here in the U.S. work on 'em them as a DIY.
    I've done a couple and discovered two piston designs - the early one required a new piston head with O-ring seal to be made, the later has a replaceable seal. The exhaust valve seal is not so hard to replace. It's understandable that repair people would charge a lot.

You might try https://www.bakerairguns.com/repair-restoration/
    If they decline they may have a lead on someone else.

Just to be sure, are you opening the pump lever fully to set the valve (an audible 'click') before closing it?

Don R.
    Last edited by draitzer; 05-04-2020 at 04:29 PM.

The exhaust valve O ring size is quite critical. I tried 3 types that sealed but only one gave a good fps on firing. So long ago I would have to find notes I made.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Get a friend with a lath to machine a single grove in the piston carefully using the top of lip seal groove as the maximum height for the new O-ring groove, and use a O-ring in place of the standard lip seal is all that is probably needed.
    I have used this modification and it works very well, just be careful when you insert the piston into it bore as it is easy to damage the O-ring on the very sharp edges, use an oil that will not effect the O-ring material.
    If you require a exhaust valve seal John Knibbs does one.
    But the change to an O-ring as the piston ring will probably cure your problem.

Conversion to an O-ring works well for the piston style with a peripheral seal - although the seal is available in the USA from JGAirguns at only $17 so it may not be worth finagling the groove. The piston style with solid plastic head seal (which turns into something like dried varnish as it crumbles) needs a piston top to make up the ~ 6mm height of that destroyed seal, with an O-ring groove cut into that piece...not a big deal but more of a task.

Don R.