Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diana Pellet Tin finally arrives from Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    My instinct would be to agree with Jochen and say this tin was probably prewar or thereabouts, despite its great condition. 10-12 years would mean a re-issue and if so, why is it so scarce?

But if the Eberhard is Eberhard Groba, he's a major German collector and his view is not to be dismissed lightly. Is Eberhard a common name in Germany?
    Eberhard is German equivalent for Everard and Everett

I followed some of his other posts looks like a very knowledgeable fellow on German vintage guns, lots of posts?

Put a lot more posts on the site questioning age, lack of other examples, if Eberhard is our man doubt he can resist posting his knowledge?

Interesting that the nice fellow in Germany that sent me the tin is not responding to my emails? Seemed like a knowledgeable fellow as well.
    Last edited by 45flint; 04-04-2020 at 01:25 PM.

Got a dialog going with Mr Eberhard on the forum. The pic of the Diana Tin in the Vintage Gallery he says is the 1920’s. Asked him about a reissue? Bet he is our man? See where this goes? Another fellow posted wondering if it was a centennial reissue?
    Last edited by 45flint; 04-04-2020 at 02:12 PM.

Maybe we are going at this wrong. How about identifying the pellets inside the tin? They look like the current RWS SuperDomes in style but they are quite different. They certainly seem to match the pellet on the tin? If this tin is a reissue then the pellets should be modern? Here is a comparison of the SuperDomes on the right. Some of you may be able to age the pellet? Put the same pic on the German site for Eberhard!

Last edited by 45flint; 04-04-2020 at 04:34 PM.

Mr Eberhard will not yield says the pellets are no name diablos? Maybe Gamos. Has not commented about a commemorative tin?

aimless Guest
    The tread at the german site was started by myself (zielvier). I am not longer member there. (Zielvier is my nickname in the US-forum)

IMO the Eberhard does not seem to be the Mr. Groba. The German in this posts (air-fox) is full of mistakes and I assume / I guess Mr. Groba is in my age, will say: above 50. Probably.

I started the post with the Webley-pellets and cans and I think, the DIANA-pellets look like the pellets inside the Webley-paper-Bag #1.

Here is Eberhard’s explanation:

“ Unfortunately not from Diana, the company was always too sluggish for that.
    At the IWA in Nuremberg,
    An exciting dealer offered these cans and many other old labels for sale.
    Retail price for 1000 cans a little over 2500,
    when you order 10,000 cans, you can easily get over 11,000 euros
    The cans were always the same as the diabolos.
    You could also choose your own label.
    MSG Eberhard”

Just got an email from the German friend that gifted the tin to me, nice guy:

“ Hi Steve! The diana pellet tin is a little miracle for me too. I once got them to an old air rifle. don't know what for one anymore ..
    the pellets are the original ones or let's say they were in the box when I got them. If i would only know the tin from photos and would never have had it in my hand I would say pre war definitely. But i start to doubt a little every time i turn the tin i my hands. Looks a little bit to fresh.
    my opinion: i don't think it was built shortly after the war. either it is pre-war or its a reproduction / special edition from recent times. but then I ask myself, why have I never seen her before?
    watch out for the virus! Thoralf”

After weighting all the conversations I find myself in the same place as Thoralf, as you roll it around in your hands it just seems too good, that and clean pellets give me the impression of a good reproduction. Still very cool for display.

I live just off the M27 outside Southampton.

Diana tin

On a trip down through France 20 plus years ago I stopped for coffee at a smal village. It had a gun shop, most villages did in those days. I asked if they had any old air rifles , non. Any pellets, yes and I bought two tins exactly like the one in the picture. The pellets have a small flat head and two driving bands. Nothing like the ones in your picture. They are dark but not oxidised. Did Diana ever make such a pellet . Sorry no photos, the usual reason, poor computer skills.
    Cheers Pete

For comparison, not sure about its age but the tin in the pic is probably from the 1920s, according to the pellet images on the box. Your tin has a slim change to be pre war, but the content probably is not considering shape & condition of the pellets. Could easily have been a modern refill. There were a couple of larger German pellet suppliers before the war, most of them had some kind of ammunition or explosives background. I have not come across many Diana tins unfortunately.

Last edited by Dutch; 06-04-2020 at 01:53 PM.
    Collection: vintage air pistols & air rifles / vintage air gun accessories
    Facebook groups: vintage air guns 1. Webley, 2 BSA, 3. Haenel, 4. Weihrauch, 5. Diana

Vintage pellets

Lovely looking tin in nice condition. I've found that vintage pellets vary in condition and suspect it maybe to do with where they've been kept and temperature etc. About a year ago I came across some ICI Wasps from the early sixties. The pellets were as new and original. The packaging they came in was in great condition too.

Recently I acquired some tins of 80s Superdomes. All sealed in as new tins. They had gone grey with no shine as they usually are. Some tins had oxidised to a slight extent.
    Several tins of Hobby from the 80s but elsewhere were like brand new.
    Always on the look out for Brum / Venom - Webley Longbow / Tommie rifles and parts.