Thread: Spring Powered Rifle With the Worst Trigger

I quite like my Fwb sport trigger
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Old Gamo trigger
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by joffy View Post
    I quite like my Fwb sport trigger
    I don't mind mine either. It normally takes me a dozen shots to get in the groove when I have a session with it, but set right, not too bad. Bad triggers that stay in my mind: bsa meteor mk5 was awful, really stiff and some of the cheap Gamo clone triggers had that much creep, but at least you could remedy that.

I would have thought the 'Wobbly Mk 3' would have got more mentions. Bog door latch springs to my mind on such a iconic gun. Once again rose tinted glasses ( and a pink trigger finger.)
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I would have thought the 'Wobbly Mk 3' would have got more mentions. Bog door latch springs to my mind on such a iconic gun. Once again rose tinted glasses ( and a pink trigger finger.)
    It's 30 years since I fired off one of those muskets. There was a model with a good trigger wasn't there? And then the standard one... how bad is it Ian?

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    It's 30 years since I fired off one of those muskets. There was a model with a good trigger wasn't there? And then the standard one... how bad is it Ian?
    It’s just a fairly heavy single stage trigger. Not dissimilar to the trigger pull you’d get from a Vulcan, or a BSA Standard or, well, almost any single-stage springer trigger.

The first few thousand made had a Diana-style double pull trigger that is supposed to have been rather good. Word is they are a bit fragile. They were definitely expensive to make.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    It’s just a fairly heavy single stage trigger. Not dissimilar to the trigger pull you’d get from a Vulcan, or a BSA Standard or, well, almost any single-stage springer trigger.

The first few thousand made had a Diana-style double pull trigger that is supposed to have been rather good. Word is they are a bit fragile. They were definitely expensive to make.
    These two words should not be in the same sentence or paragraph.

Yes there was/is. One of the strangest things that happened to me since I started collecting happened regarding the Webley Mk 3 double pull trigger variant. I have read about them (Dennis Hiller in his book writes ' .... if you have one of these triggers and it works DON'T USE IT ...') ) but never actually seen one in the flesh in 40 years of collecting.
    One day, on my rounds, I called into a gun shop in The Lakes and beggar me, what should I see in the second hand rack but a Mk3 with the double pull trigger. Needless to say I bought it.
    I was talking about this to one of the club members a few days later and he said 'Ive got one of those for sale!' I replied 'No. Its not the normal run of the mill early Mk 3 but the double pull trigger version.'
    "Yes I know and the one Ive got is!" So nothing for 40 years and then TWO within the space of a week.

With regards to the standard,later Mk 3 trigger theres no comparison.
    Last edited by I. J.; 04-04-2020 at 03:51 PM.

Quite a few air rifles I've used had awful triggers but the late Airsporters stand out as particularly bad.

I've always found the FWB Sport trigger pretty decent, especially with a Macarri allloy replacement (particularly the early type with the broad blade). But I agree the design is poor considering the generally excellent quality of the other parts (excluding the ball bearing lock-up) and on some rifles is a real let down.

I particularly dislike the FWB's safety slide arrangement and have rarely found it effective for long. But I don't really approve of safeties anyway because I think they breed complacency, so it's never been a deal breaker for me.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

I particularly dislike the FWB's safety slide arrangement and have rarely found it effective for long. But I don't really approve of safeties anyway because I think they breed complacency, so it's never been a deal breaker for me.
    Snap ! I never trust a safety catch because Ive seen so many faulty (Webley Hawk ) and as we all know, the only safe gun is an empty gun.

IF a safety catch is fitted I do like one that you can resettable so if you dont take the shot you can put it back on.
    Also the FWB Sport catch can be changed from auto to manual just by removing the front part of the slide (so the piston doesn't push it on.)

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Yes there was/is. One of the strangest things that happened to me since I started collecting happened regarding the Webley Mk 3 double pull trigger variant. I have read about them (Dennis Hiller in his book writes ' .... if you have one of these triggers and it works DON'T USE IT ...') ) but never actually seen one in the flesh in 40 years of collecting.
    One day, on my rounds, I called into a gun shop in The Lakes and beggar me, what should I see in the second hand rack but a Mk3 with the double pull trigger. Needless to say I bought it.
    I was talking about this to one of the club members a few days later and he said 'Ive got one of those for sale!' I replied 'No. Its not the normal run of the mill early Mk 3 but the double pull trigger version.'
    "Yes I know and the one Ive got is!" So nothing for 40 years and then TWO within the space of a week.

With regards to the standard,later Mk 3 trigger theres no comparison.
    That is 'two' weird.

The chances against that are a coincidence. Unless two friends bought the same type of rifle to shoot in a 2 person league, and when they died the rifles worked out a passive method of reuniting. They are Webleys and therefore only safe in a pack.

That is 'two' weird.

The chances against that are a coincidence. Unless two friends bought the same type of rifle to shoot in a 2 person league, and when they died the rifles worked out a passive method of reuniting. They are Webleys and therefore only safe in a pack.
    The rifles sourced were 70+ miles apart.

Burnley and District Air Rifle League.

I read earlier in this post that someone referred to the SMK S2. I have not encountered many of these inexpensive pistols. We were given the one we have in the club. However it has the sweetest trigger. Could be it is pot luck on build quality.
    Warren.

Talking

hhhh, scary almost

That is 'two' weird.

Perhaps adopting an alternative way of looking at it, I have both rifles you mention, tornado not too bad - DB4 best trigger I have ever used (on a rifle that cost £20 new just before the mail-order ban came in) it's still working and accurate to 30 yards many years later, in fact in hindsight I would have bought a few to sell on. The same principle applies qualifying to dive (lake distrinct in December), when I got to Mauritius it was so much pleasanterer!