Thread: Low power reload

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Low power reload

I want to make a really low power 38sp load for quietness. My question is how low can I go without encountering problems eg bullet stuck in barrel?

I've got Herco and Blue dot btw

Quote Originally Posted by harrysmith View Post
    I want to make a really low power 38sp load for quietness. My question is how low can I go without encountering problems eg bullet stuck in barrel?

have you tried the min powder charge for each powder?

you can't, minimum load or look forward to your gunsmith putting pictures of your sectioned barrel all over Facebook
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Guns go bang , it's in their very nature to do so.

It's when they go 'phut' that the problems begin.

You are NEVER going to get a 'quiet' revolver - way too many holes for the gas to escape from. Unless you have a Nagant...

might be a .357 underlever and he wants to use .38 specials etc

I download .44mag using Unique powder, 8.4gr with a 240gn gm head
    Sako A7.270,b14hmr 6.5cm,Weatherby vanguard.223,Browningt-bolt.17hmr,Ruger American.22l,M1903 30/06,Marlin.44 and a fireball throwing m44

I’ve been obsessed with silencers and quiet loads for years so I will base my answer on my own experience rather than folklaw. You need a really fast powder such as bullseye with around 2gn but be very careful that they are leaving the barrel. Until you get consistency with the loads you need to check the barrel every shot. Some of the cowboy action loads are about as low as you’re likely to get. I experimented with a mod on my 38 u/l many years back and got it down to around unmodded 22rf but really the hole is just too big. I’m shooting in the garden as we speak with my fully modded 22 little badger (open ticket, big garden) and the only sound is the bullet hitting the backstop.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    might be a .357 underlever and he wants to use .38 specials etc
    Ah, right. Forgot about them underlevers.... Still, the lowest load in the handbook is something that should NEVER be reduced any further, especially shooting such loads in a 16" barrel or similar...

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Ah, right. Forgot about them underlevers.... Still, the lowest load in the handbook is something that should NEVER be reduced any further, especially shooting such loads in a 16" barrel or similar...

Many many folk are shooting .38 spls at well below the manufacturers starting loads, both in underlevers and in a bygone age, revolvers. The only possible risk is that the bullet does not leave the barrel so reduced loads are not for rapid firing until the reloader has successfully discharged at least 100 rounds with 100% success. For my peace of mind I have reduced my loads below my chosen the optimum to establish that they still reliably leave the barrel, thus moving up a tad gives a good margin.

Alliant list the nominal load for Bullseye as 3.5 gn and suggest starting loads at 10% under, so that's a little over 3.1. The magic load for revolvers, used by many, was 2.7 gn.

Lovex D032 (Accurate #2) startin load is given as 3.6 gn, yet I have been happily using 2.4 - 2.8 gn for many years now.

The thoughtful reloader should recognise that many powder manufacturers do not provide low load data because of the concern that the bullet might not leave the barrel, but with care and understanding the light load regime can be safely explored.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

boff180 Guest

Try a high volume powder such as Viht N32C.

Minimum charge for Cowboy Action in a .38spl with a 158grn grain lead head is 3.3 grains of powder.

Quote Originally Posted by boff180 View Post
    Try a high volume powder such as Viht N32C.

Minimum charge for Cowboy Action in a .38spl with a 158grn grain lead head is 3.3 grains of powder.
    That won't be possible for a while as it's impossible to buy powder atm, hence I've got to use the powder I already have but thanks anyway.