Thread: Nitro in a BP revolver.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    [/COLOR]

tac, can you support these two claims? Seems to me that nitro proof testing a gun which already has BP proof marks is no more risk than nitro proof testing a gun which has no proof marks. And exactly what law is broken here? Just trying to learn.

Completely understood

Be my guest, and take your BP proofed gun to London or Birmingham and ask for it to be proofed for nitro. The law is the CIP regulations, which are NOT advisory, but compulsory in those countries that have signed up to them. The UK is one such country and the rules are called the Proof Acts, which make them into law.

I'll just say it again - if your .44cal under-lever rifle or carbine has been proofed for nitro, as most, if not all, modern production are, then it will be safe to use the equivalent BP load.

But if your original .44cal under-lever rifle or carbine was proofed for a BP load, then it would be extremely unlikely to survive the nitro-proof load, typically 1.25 - 1.5 times the maximum load for a NITRO firearm. The words 'black powder only' on a firearm are not there for fun.
    Last edited by tacfoley; 08-04-2020 at 08:20 PM.