Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sherdian vs. Benjamin

Sherdian vs. Benjamin

Hi, I've been comparing my pumpers lately.
    Lots of shot strings, of which I cannot share a few on here: some of these older guns need a release valve
    In short, out of Blue Streak, Super Grade, Benjamin 347, Heirinkan Mod A, Innova, Victory,
    my Innova's seem to be the most efficient, followed by the Super Grade and Heirinkan. My Crosman Town & Country 107 will have to be tested soon; some parts are with ped atm (thank you ped!), as the pump arm link hole was almost chewed open and it has had some other work done.

The Benji is the least efficient (power per pump, maximum power).
    It is a very crisp example and pumps well. The trigger was quite bad, miles of creep and very heavy, but I have solved that by polishing, removing the safety plate and not
    pulling the bolt 100% backwards. Just to where the sears engage, then the sears engagement is perfect, whereas you get the creeps again if you pull it right back.
    Anyway. I was actually going to ask you opinions on Sheridan vs. Benjamin.

Although I like my 347, I have more feeling for my Sheridans. Also as a brand.
    I think Benjamin was the first to produce a pump airgun?
    But after that, I don't know if they did much in terms of innovations? And that the Sheridan's are probably a better gun, in terms of power, trigger, handling?
    I hope I don't offend anyone, but it would be interesting to read your opinions.
    Benjamins are beautiful guns of course, I would love to have a tootsie roll 312 one day. But when I go out for a plinking session, I usually leave the 347 on the rack, just to look at.

Last edited by jirushi; 13-04-2020 at 05:46 AM.

I always have difficulty in deciding which of my American pumpers (Benjiman 312 and 347, Sheridan Blue Streak and a Crosman 147) I like best.

I'm only a plinker so power is not all that important as they all make tin cans bounce!

Really, for me, much of it boils down to looks and to be honest I think the Crosman 147 is the most elegant although it is not my first choice for a plinking session -- that has to be the tootsie roll 312, 60 years old and still going strong, easy to pump and decent sights.

Sheridan for me too, there’s just something special about them.

Ace i'd say would be the most efficent
    the benji's were not as good as the sheridans and many will say that the sheridans after being bought out were not as good
    personally i like the crosman 101's having never tried a supergrade which i would like to get but can't justify the cost of one
    i did start making a pumper based on xs78 sheridan and custom parts and need to go back to finishing it off

I went and bought one of Airgunaids 347's when Eddie first imported them, really liked it at first, liked the lack of recoil, liked the 2 shots for 8 pumps.
    I had it crono'd at Airgun Centre @ 840 and 800 for the 2 shots. I fitted a scope and silencer and thought I had a good little package.
    Then Phoenix Arms started importing them, and I got hold of a original hammer spring in the quest for power, and I must admit went off the gun.
    Still got it, it's a project gun now as it takes 10 pumps to make 800fps.

Having worked in a airgun shop have shot the Setra and Sheridan, didn't think there was much to choose between the 3. The Sharp Ace and Innova imho were much better but more fragile.....

sorry but a 347 wont do two full power shots on 8 pumps
    a good sheridan with an adjustable piston will do two 602fps (14.3gr)shots on 10 pumps with the correctly set up hammer spring

Busted pumper

Reading this interesting thread has reminded me of a Sheridan blue streak I have that used to belong to my dad.
    I remember shooting it in the garden with a couple of pumps as a kid,
    About twenty years ago I found it didn't hold air, I didn't use it so it went to the back of a long to do list.
    It never got done and I kept it for sentimental reasons
    If there's anyone with the skills to bring it back to life (I'll pay obviously) and could have a look it would be nice to use it again.

Thanks Martin

Interesting comments gents.

@Allan, how is the trigger on your 312?
    And do you recognise the creepiness of my 347?
    I agree, for plinking power isn't important.
    In fact I can only use my 20 feet garden now, and find myself turning my pcp's down to about 8 ft/lbs. Could probably go lower.
    With full power I am destroying my targets too fast (empty shotgun cartridges, bottle lids etc), and I think the neighbours will get annoyed sooner .

@Baz, that's interesting. I have read about Setra's but never really longed for one tbh. I always thought they were just a Spanish copy of the Blue Streak.

@Ped, interesting, I have never owned an Ace. Even though I definitely love Sharp, I find the Ace quite heavy. Should go and find one at some point. So the valve is different in the Ace? And perhaps also longer pump stroke?
    What do you think of the Benji triggers?
    If I ever sell my S.G. then it will be yours.

@Archer24, I would like to scope my 347 too but I know it will be awkward to pump. With my Blue Streak, I am even afraid of barrel separation - this could happen in the Benji too. With the "dans" I have decided that they are just meant to be shot with opens. I do have a rear sight mount for my Super Grade though, will have to test. The front sight mount I had to order from the US, it is in Holland atm.

@Martin, I can help you if you want. I've got a Sheridan repair tool kit from ped and like working on these. If you want me to reseal your gun then just drop me a pm.

Cheers

pumpers

Many years ago a friend and I imported a bundle of Setras-from the UK.They had a power adjuster and were,of course,sub 12ft lb. Stocks were box-wood and splintered.Triggers were mostly plastic.All in all,a load of rubbish. My mate was the Sheridan agent.Never came across a dud rifle of this brand. The arrival of the CO2 Sheridans presented a problem.THe valve to CO2 Powerlet head seals, used to come adrift. But hey,an 'E' pistol cost but $35! I always found the Blue Streak to be a very reliable hunter.Knocking over possum at short distances.Tootsie roll Benjis had an attraction but they were very primitive. The pumper I carried in my car boot for years was the Crosman 1400. Well cared for,it was a stylish accurate carbine. The cheap pumper(I'd call ALL these pumpers inexpensive(cheap) was the Sharp INNOVA.It would take a magpie at 40 yards(and they could 'hear' a pellet coming!"900fps and very flat trajectory. Nothing's perfect,the Sharp trigger was a bugger to squeeze;-)Trev

Louis : As a plinker, not a target shooter, the trigger on my 312 is perfectly OK for what I need.
    I am a big fan of the 312/317/342/347's (your 347 is very tasty!). They are lovely little carbines, not too onerous to pump and the sights are adequate although the addition of a Williams peep sight is a vast improvement.

I have a Setra and have often heard it referred to as a "poor man's Sheridan". I disagree.
    True, there is some plastic -- the red button thumb safety is awful -- but overall I like the streamlined look of the rifle especially the trigger guard (even if it is plastic) and the way the forearm sits flush with the rest of the stock like the early Blue Streaks.

Your Sheridan Model F looks good -- my favourite CO2 rifle.

I had a Setra with the metal trigger block which had been resealed by Lawrie Amatruda. It was the most impressive performer of all the pumpers I have owned, should never have sold it. The only thing I could fault was the plastic trigger guard, but they are easy to mould in pewter. Below is another one that was for sale at Kempton Park.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by cinedux View Post
    Many years ago a friend and I imported a bundle of Setras-from the UK.They had a power adjuster and were,of course,sub 12ft lb. Stocks were box-wood and splintered.Triggers were mostly plastic.All in all,a load of rubbish. My mate was the Sheridan agent.Never came across a dud rifle of this brand. The arrival of the CO2 Sheridans presented a problem.THe valve to CO2 Powerlet head seals, used to come adrift. But hey,an 'E' pistol cost but $35! I always found the Blue Streak to be a very reliable hunter.Knocking over possum at short distances.Tootsie roll Benjis had an attraction but they were very primitive. The pumper I carried in my car boot for years was the Crosman 1400. Well cared for,it was a stylish accurate carbine. The cheap pumper(I'd call ALL these pumpers inexpensive(cheap) was the Sharp INNOVA.It would take a magpie at 40 yards(and they could 'hear' a pellet coming!"900fps and very flat trajectory. Nothing's perfect,the Sharp trigger was a bugger to squeeze;-)Trev
    The original Setras were of superb quality all round and much like a .22" version of a Sheridan Blue Streak but heftier. Later a batch were commissioned by the boss of Sussex Armoury but made down to a price. These are terrible qualiity and performance wise and should be avoided at all costs. Anyone wanting a Setra should check out which version is being offered as there is a world of diffence. I had an early Setra and that had a proper bleed valve in a stub brazed onto the reservoir tube by the factory. Hidden inside the stock just in front of the trigger.

[QUOTEsorry but a 347 wont do two full power shots on 8 pumps
    a good sheridan with an adjustable piston will do two 602fps (14.3gr)shots on 10 pumps with the correctly set up hammer spring][/QUOTE]
    You’re not telling me the nice man (John Stevens?) might have made a mistake?
    Or I could have remembered incorrectly.........cannot remember what they were advertised at in Airgun World?

he may well have or it could have been a 342
    my setra has the crappy red safety (direct copy of the thumb safety streak which was the best look streak)and the soldered safety valve-a previous owner painted the wood black and polished it which showed it was the steel breeched model
    the 312 has a nicer trigger than the 347 and i made a new trigger torsion spring for mine in a lighter gauge piano wire
    the ace is the same internally as the innova but has a longer barrel and better air flow into the barrel with a propper tp
    one thing i've never checked is the check valve tube as it may have had a bigger one in the ace

love to buy a setra. i owned a innove 20yrs ago and boy the trigger was crap. owned a benjamin as a youngster for 4hrs. bought it new and went up the woods. 4hrs later after using it i traded it for a hw80. lost a fair bit of money but to pump the bitch up to 10 pumps was just to dam hard.