Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lockdown fever

Lockdown fever

Just bought the below on an auction site:

Friedrich Heym 4.5mm cal

From what I can research on the excellent VAG, it's an early version of the HW50, made by Weihrauch. Sadly, it's a bit of a dog, and I'll be on the lookout for open sights (when will Protek open??)

Think you must have a fever to have bought that

Very nice indeed.

The other 1950s Heym has, to my eye, and only from a few photos on the net, a possible air of BSF to it.

Another snap:

Small money but it could keep me busy....

What auction site did you use ?

Cheers

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SCW22 View Post
    What auction site did you use ?

Cheers

Steve
    Catawiki

Ok thank you.

Steve

Well, posted from Germany on Monday and delivered Thursday lunchtime, not too shabby at all. Wish I could say the same for the rifle, but I knew that before purchase. Well, I doubt the old girl has been apart too much. The cocking lever pivot screw had been sheered before I attempted to undo it (the one half just turned too easy) and I managed to get the remaining bit out by drilling it out on a pillar drill. Breech bolt and retainer came out, as did the detent. The bugger currently is one of the front stock bolts, which is currently having a WD40 bath (just freed it now!). In its' delivered state, she cocked and de-cocked nicely enough, with no alarming noises, but from what limited information there is available to me, I'm struggling to find a similar model. I'm guessing pre-1951 as it's a smooth bore and size wise, it's close to an Original 27. However, cocking arm is not articulated and no adjustment to the trigger.
    Unwrapped

The stripdown starts

All to bits now. Serial No.51, although, tbh I'm not sure on any traceability. For sure the bluing needs a good tidy up, but I'm not too sure about a total re-black, I may try rust bluing again.

A bit of rust bluing

Spent a few hours this afternoon rust bluing the action. Too many marks and dents in the barrel to get too precious, but it's come out okay:

Well done, I eat my words

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    That's a lovely bit of rust bluing.

What did you use to accelerate the rusting process, and how many passes did it take? I have always used ammonium chloride, but this gives a slightly bronzy, dark grey finish, which is great for restoring very old antique guns but not so good for pre-war vintage guns.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    That's a lovely bit of rust bluing.

What did you use to accelerate the rusting process, and how many passes did it take? I have always used ammonium chloride, but this gives a slightly bronzy, dark grey finish, which is great for restoring very old antique guns but not so good for pre-war vintage guns.
    I used hydrogen peroxide and salt. I'd tried a few before, but took extra care with this one to card it between each cycle. I took 7 passes to get this finish, about 2 hrs in total with the last 20 mins boiling the parts for the last time. The only thing I'll do now is leave it for a few days to allow the finish to age harden. Not allowing this time cost me some unsightly marks on the finish when I did my first full rifle, an Original mod 27.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Spent a few hours this afternoon rust bluing the action. Too many marks and dents in the barrel to get too precious, but it's come out okay:

hello, that is some nice work CB

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    I used hydrogen peroxide and salt. I'd tried a few before, but took extra care with this one to card it between each cycle. I took 7 passes to get this finish, about 2 hrs in total with the last 20 mins boiling the parts for the last time. The only thing I'll do now is leave it for a few days to allow the finish to age harden. Not allowing this time cost me some unsightly marks on the finish when I did my first full rifle, an Original mod 27.
    Many thanks for the info'. I have never come across the use of hydrogen peroxide before and it's not mentioned in Angier's bible of bluing, so I will give it a try. Also your comment about age hardening was interesting.

ATB
    John