Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lockdown fever

You have done a great job on that, totally transformed it.

That bench could do with a coat of varnish.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac View Post
    That bench could do with a coat of varnish.
    It's an old pew, It had a coat of clear lacquer but it faded faster than the chances of a Corbyn government.

Very strange the screws are on the opposite side as to the know Heyms and early Weihrauchs?
    The number on the rifle IS a serial number though, but doesn't it have a mark behind it?
    The very early ones had a gunmakers mark, know are the "Y" , "X" , ".." and a "--" on the one at the VAG.

This is the only rearsight I got that comes close in size.

================
    Frank

Thanks for the kind offer Frank, I think (hope) I may have one sorted.

The marks on the rifle were all photographed by me, so no additional marking. I didn't know much about Heym, but it has me scratching my head in comparison to other examples; so many similarities, but not quite the same.

Well, all back together and a bit of a disappointment. 3.5 ft/lb . I also found out why Weihrauch rolled two seals in the breech block, as there's an identifiable breech leak that comes out at the joint between the breech block and the cylinder. So, apart again and an attempt to seal the breech block and cylinder joint, along the lines of the HW35 fix.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    A couple of tips when I was asking about aging a pistol

One of the classic recipes for rust browning is just ammonium chloride (sal ammoniac) dissolved in water.
    Angier describes the recipe to have been used for refinishing battle worn military bolt action rifles after WW1:
    https://www.amazon.com/Firearm-Bluei.../dp/0811706109

Angier also describes it as suitable for both browning without boiling in a 0,5% solution, and suitable for brorwning with boiling in a 2% solution.

Best thing about it is that it is quite harmless, as it is an ingredient in salmiak candy:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrkisk_peber

I found a good source for ammonium chloride to be hobby stores for that sell soldering equipment, as the chemical is used for cleaning soldering irons:
    https://www.evilmadscientist.com/2014/tinning/

I bought a sal ammoniac "stone" for cleaning soldering irons, and shaved off bits with a knife, then crushed them into a fine powder, and dissolved in water.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Well, I had a further go at the old girl. I used the Loctite sealing fix (a la HW35) and made a new leather piston seal. All back together and doing 7ft/lb, so a result of sorts. The only thing now is the trigger as it resembles a bull worker for your index finger!