Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lockdown fever

Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post
    Oh I like that! As someone else has already said, messing around for hours fuming with brick acid takes up a good day just waiting for rust to form, that salt and peroxide mix really does the business.
    A tip I picked up quickly is that the reaction is speeded up with heat, so as a final degrease, I boiled the parts for 15mins before commencing the first application of the rusting solution. From then on, you're only applying the solution to a hot component.

Well all back together now and fired a couple of test shots. Heavy trigger and haven't checked power but it's not too bad. (excuse the retaining screws not in as I need to get the barrel off again to shim the breech seal and I still need a rear sight)

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    protek do a very cheap (less than a tenner) rearsight that fits the meteor and has the same lateral dovetail fitment.. I can measure mine if you want ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    protek do a very cheap (less than a tenner) rearsight that fits the meteor and has the same lateral dovetail fitment.. I can measure mine if you want ?
    Yes please John

I'm waiting on Protek to open as they seem to be the best likely source.

Do you know if that process will work on stainless steel?

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    I used hydrogen peroxide and salt. I'd tried a few before, but took extra care with this one to card it between each cycle. I took 7 passes to get this finish, about 2 hrs in total with the last 20 mins boiling the parts for the last time. The only thing I'll do now is leave it for a few days to allow the finish to age harden. Not allowing this time cost me some unsightly marks on the finish when I did my first full rifle, an Original mod 27.
    Thats a great job, what did you use to heat and did you have larger containers to put everything in?

Awesome transformation mate, thoroughly enjoyed reading about it

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Do you know if that process will work on stainless steel?
    you and your bloody underlever..
    if you send me an offcut, I'll try it for you...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thats an astonishing transformation, very well done indeed

Quote Originally Posted by cozzamec View Post
    Thats a great job, what did you use to heat and did you have larger containers to put everything in?
    The periodic salt solution I keep mixed in a large glass jar. Boiling is done in an old turkey roasting tray on two gas rings (I have an understanding wife). I tended to use cotton make up pads to apply the solution and decant small amounts from the big jar to avoid contamination.
    Last edited by CapitalBee; 02-05-2020 at 08:49 PM.

Very nice ....did you need to much preparation?
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Quote Originally Posted by joffy View Post
    Very nice ....did you need to much preparation?
    Not really. The barrel was quite bad, so I couldn't have polished the dents and worst rust out. The cylinder just had the wire wool and oil treatment. As the original finish was so varied, I just aimed to standardize it really.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Not really. The barrel was quite bad, so I couldn't have polished the dents and worst rust out. The cylinder just had the wire wool and oil treatment. As the original finish was so varied, I just aimed to standardize it really.
    Well you did a great job
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

@CapitalBee

Just noticed the barrel screws are on the right side of the rifle?
    Are your pics of the refurbished rifle mirrored?
    The Heym rifles I have seen had the screws on the left side as did the Weihrauchs.

What size are your dovetail for the rearsight, maybe I have one that fits, but dont get your hopes up yet.

======================
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by frakor View Post
    @CapitalBee

Just noticed the barrel screws are on the right side of the rifle?
    Are your pics of the refurbished rifle mirrored?
    The Heym rifles I have seen had the screws on the left side as did the Weihrauchs.

What size are your dovetail for the rearsight, maybe I have one that fits, but dont get your hopes up yet.

======================
    Frank
    Hi Frank, no the barrel screws are on the right. There's a lot that confuses me as I looked at the photo library in VAGF and whilst there are so many similarities to the library images, this has a few differences. The dovetail width was 8mm x 3.8mm dp. Total width across the breech block 14.8mm