Thread: Decent exploded diagram of Airsporter MK VI .22

Lightbulb Decent exploded diagram of Airsporter MK VI .22

I've had my fathers Airsporter returned to me in bits sadly.
    I'm trying to figure outs whats missing and hw to put her backtogether, I have the mechanical abilty of a slug, an idiots guide would be perfect.
    Please no one advise me on the reasons why you never loan a "freind" one of your guns
    The action is rusted but with no pitting, whats the best path to take, she's just a plinker I was going to teach my eldest to shoot with.
    Many thanks in advance.

Here's a starting point maybe :

https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24688/Mk6/

Vic Thompson

Thank you Vic, looks like I have all the main bits, just missing washers, pins and bolts.
    When is a rusted action too far gone?

That's a very difficult question to answer without seeing the item in question and knowing the owners expectations as a function of spend and effort. However, it's very easy to only need "a few spare parts" and spend a good proportion of the cost of buying a replacement gun in better condition.

If you don't mind spending £25 on parts and ending up with a gun that shoots ok but looks like it's been left in a shed all of its life, that's ok in my books, but if you need to spend £75 for the same end result but want better, it's possibly cost effective to buy a replacement gun in better cosmetic condition and build the two into a good shooter then sell the remaining parts as spares.

As an example I'd rate a vgc Airsporter 6 at around the £145 or so mark collected, hence my figures as above. Note however that if the sights are missing on an Airsporter they could be around the £35 to £45 mark to replace.

JMHO, Vic Thompson.

Red face

Thank you Sir, to be honest I'd be happy with a hammerite finish as log as she shoots straight!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSupermoto View Post
    The action is rusted but with no pitting, whats the best path to take
    A decent clean up can usually be achieved by using the finest grade of wire wool (normally 0000 grade) with oil added to it and give the action a good rub over with it.

This should remove a lot of the surface rust without damaging any bluing left intact. It won't look perfect but is a lot better than rust.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Theres very little blueing left on the action, apart from a reblue, any other options available to me?

I'm trying to figure outs whats missing and hw to put her backtogether, I have the mechanical abilty of a slug, an idiots guide would be perfect.
    Your wish is our command. Apart from an internet search ... look at posts 39 / 40 in Idiot's Guide sticky over in Collectibles. It will help.

Cheers, Phil

Theres very little blueing left on the action, apart from a reblue, any other options available to me?
    You could always spray paint it with Acrylic Satin Black from Halfords, but make sure the surface is clean and oil free and use the correct undercoat.
    The important thing is DON'T RUSH IT.
    Several light coats are much better than a couple of heavy coats.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I have a few exploded diagrams for various Airsporters, mainly the earlier models, but for some reason I have a manual and diagram for a Mk.7, so if you would like that I can email a scan to you.
    Last edited by Troubledshooter; 05-01-2021 at 05:03 PM.

The action is rusted but with no pitting, whats the best path to take, she's just a plinker I was going to teach my eldest to shoot with.
    Many thanks in advance.
    Of you dont have deep pits, theres a chance you can save a lot of the original finish if you work with the correct methods.
    This video shows you how to conserve and refurbish a rusted gun while still keeping as much as possible of the original finish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rShG_F85W1Y&t=302s

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    A decent clean up can usually be achieved by using the finest grade of wire wool (normally 0000 grade) with oil added to it and give the action a good rub over with it.

This should remove a lot of the surface rust without damaging any bluing left intact. It won't look perfect but is a lot better than rust.
    This. It can do surprisingly well.

I prefer to use kitchen roll. Save the wire wool for the worst bits. And use Ballistol, not 3-in-1.

Lending out your kit.

Please no one advise me on the reasons why you never loan a "freind" one of your guns
    Many thanks in advance.
    Lending out anything of ones own tools, guns etc is fatal in my book even to friends, I try never to do it unless its an emergency. A friend of mine wanted to borrow a .25 air rifle of mine to shoot rats on his small holding, i told him i could sell him a nice gun for the job (.22) but not to lend him one as i dont want my kit knocked about. Thats the last i heard of it.
    When in the motor trade i was always being asked for advice and to lend out tools for doing their own work on cars. Just as bad was lending special tools to other local garages i nearly always had to chase them up to get them back.I f i borrowed of a garage i always returned the tools.I even had one dealer who swore blind he had never borrowed the 34 mill. socket.
    As someone once said about car sales men. They are not so much liars as romancers. I will now get off my high horse.