Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ,177 exploding pellets.

Sadly dangerous isn't the issue, any air weapon is classed in law as a non lethal firearm so any infringment is automaticly a firearms offence, and now days to many do gooders about all to ready to report you.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Are those still available?
    I have no idea

John

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by wezil View Post
    Sadly dangerous isn't the issue, any air weapon is classed in law as a non lethal firearm so any infringment is automaticly a firearms offence, and now days to many do gooders about all to ready to report you.

Totally wrong. According to guidance an Me of 1 joule or more is considered lethal. That's about 0.7 ft-lb and there are few airguns which do not exceed that so nearly all of them are lethal firearms.

There are exceptions covering airsoft guns.

Then there are those air rifles which fall into S1 because they produce more than 12 ft-lb and of course those air pistols which become s5 if they exceed 6 ft-lb.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Totally wrong. According to guidance an Me of 1 joule or more is considered lethal. That's about 0.7 ft-lb and there are few airguns which do not exceed that so nearly all of them are lethal firearms.

There are exceptions covering airsoft guns.

Then there are those air rifles which fall into S1 because they produce more than 12 ft-lb and of course those air pistols which become s5 if they exceed 6 ft-lb.
    Hi, sort of according to the CPS website only a court can decide what makes a weapon "lethal" rather than causing a "trifiling or trivial injury" An over limit air weapon becomes specially dangerous so is section 1. I feel lethality falls into bit of a grey area really. So who's right or wrong is pretty subjective. However the use of exploding ammo is covered under "weapons subject to general prohibition" F25(c). No statement of lethality given, so illegal regardless

Hi, sort of according to the CPS website only a court can decide what makes a weapon "lethal" rather than causing a "trifiling or trivial injury" An over limit air weapon becomes specially dangerous so is section 1. I feel lethality falls into bit of a grey area really. So who's right or wrong is pretty subjective. However the use of exploding ammo is covered under "weapons subject to general prohibition" F25(c). No statement of lethality given, so illegal regardless

Yes but HO guidance to police remains as I stated and your claim that "any air weapon is classed in law as a non lethal firearm" is plainly wrong and you should not be making such misleading statements - somebody might believe you!
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Takes me back to the days of my mis-spent youth supergluing Ely Shotgun primers to the top of .22 H&N hollow points to shoot out of my Webley. Happy days!

Yes but HO guidance to police remains as I stated and your claim that "any air weapon is classed in law as a non lethal firearm" is plainly wrong and you should not be making such misleading statements - somebody might believe you!
    It would seem on my reading of the info that yes any weapon with more than 1j of energy is to be "considered a lethal weapon" however as I stated only a court can actually make that decsion not the police,they would merely bring the case to court for a descion to be made. Im not disagreeing with you but "advice" is not law. It is likely to come down to an individual courts decsion on the facts of the case before them and might come down to intent to cause harm, rather than actual statute law. Again as I said a bit of a legal grey area.

The criminal law as opposed to civil law is based on the premise of what a reasonable person would make of the offence IE: is a 1.5j air weapon a lethal weapon compared to .357 magnum. Again it would seem unlikely but its possible. Civil law IE: murder, does not allow this premise any reasonable person would regard it as wrong,however the law might allow the reasonable clause under the guise of man slaughter depending on circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Hard to see these pellets being any more dangerous than the cuttings of Swan Vestas we used to pack into holes carved into diabolo pellets as kids?

Or bangers we bought around Bonfire Night?

This is not to say they won't be banned in this 'elf'n'safety obsessed age we live in now...
    We filled the back end and fired them forward for tracer and backward for a bang on the target.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Going back to the pellets (rather than definitions of what's classed as lethal), I see t'b@y seems to have a UK seller...

exploding pellets

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Hard to see these pellets being any more dangerous than the cuttings of Swan Vestas we used to pack into holes carved into diabolo pellets as kids?

Or bangers we bought around Bonfire Night?

This is not to say they won't be banned in this 'elf'n'safety obsessed age we live in now...
    I just seen them for sale on Amazon

It would seem on my reading of the info that yes any weapon with more than 1j of energy is to be "considered a lethal weapon" however as I stated only a court can actually make that decsion not the police,they would merely bring the case to court for a descion to be made. Im not disagreeing with you but "advice" is not law. It is likely to come down to an individual courts decsion on the facts of the case before them and might come down to intent to cause harm, rather than actual statute law. Again as I said a bit of a legal grey area.
    This is a spurious distinction. Only a court can decide on any matter of criminality, from speeding all the way up to murder or treason or acts of terrorism. The police do not even decide
    if a prosecution is merited except for the lesser offences where the offender admits to the offence - this is the job of the CPS.

There have been instances of death from sub 12 airguns, so any prosecutor will have no problem in making the case. Remember we started with the assertion that airguns are considered non-lethal and this is plainly wrong.
    TANSTAAFL