Thread: Browning solution

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Thanks, the slow brown solution will give the same results as used when the gun was built, to brown or blue a barrel will take anywhere from 3 to 6 passes, maybe more depending on the composition of the steel or iron, each pass creates a layer of loose rust that has to be removed or carded off, a soft brass wire brush or grey scotchbrite pad, more solution then hang up to rust again,usually overnight is good enough then repeat until the desired depth of colour is acheived. Proper degreasing is the absolute key!
    I am surprised this stuff is still available really as its proper poisonous, gloves goggles & mask definately a must!

Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
    Thanks, the slow brown solution will give the same results as used when the gun was built, to brown or blue a barrel will take anywhere from 3 to 6 passes, maybe more depending on the composition of the steel or iron, each pass creates a layer of loose rust that has to be removed or carded off, a soft brass wire brush or grey scotchbrite pad, more solution then hang up to rust again,usually overnight is good enough then repeat until the desired depth of colour is acheived. Proper degreasing is the absolute key!
    I am surprised this stuff is still available really as its proper poisonous, gloves goggles & mask definately a must!
    It sounds like the solution is the same as Ammonium Chloride and Copper Sulphate that is used in the method mentioned. The procedure also sounds the same.
    I have tried chemical browning agents in the past and they don't cause rusting. They stain the metal and each coat darkens it a bit more, but it is not hard wearing.

Yes, in Angiers book there are many recipies, Ammonium Chloride, Mercuric Chloride, Ferric chloride are all common ingredients, they promote rusting with a vengeance, Other ingredients can & have been used. Its the old slow rusting process. Not worth making your own as some of the chemicals will be hard to obtain. Ferric chloride was often used in schools for PCB etching, We had a big tub of the granules where i used to work, should have had some!

Yes, in Angiers book there are many recipies, Ammonium Chloride, Mercuric Chloride, Ferric chloride are all common ingredients, they promote rusting with a vengeance, Other ingredients can & have been used. Its the old slow rusting process. Not worth making your own as some of the chemicals will be hard to obtain. Ferric chloride was often used in schools for PCB etching, We had a big tub of the granules where i used to work, should have had some!
    Ammonium Chloride is readily available and so it Copper Sulphate which is all I used to re-brown my gun barrel.

I know what you mean about some chemicals being hard or impossible to obtain. Years ago you could by dilute Hydrochloric acid from the chemist that was strong enough for etching. But I doubt you would manage to get any these days.

You could still still buy hydrochloric acid in old fashioned ironmongers until recently under the name "spirits of salts", law tightened up on it a few years back following the rise in acid attacks. But you can still buy the stuff online, I bought a 25kg sack of ammonium sulphamate last year for weed killing & got it from Mistral chemicals in Northern Ireland, they do a big range of chemicals, just looked & quite a few bluing & browning chemicals are on their list.

You could still still buy hydrochloric acid in old fashioned ironmongers until recently under the name "spirits of salts", law tightened up on it a few years back following the rise in acid attacks. But you can still buy the stuff online, I bought a 25kg sack of ammonium sulphamate last year for weed killing & got it from Mistral chemicals in Northern Ireland, they do a big range of chemicals, just looked & quite a few bluing & browning chemicals are on their list.
    That is interesting, thanks. I have made a note of the details.

Atb

Thanks for the input everyone, I've been happy using Gunguard Slow Brown, I've always found that a decent finish can be achieved in a week or so. I was just wondering if any other products had appeared in the years since I first started. It looks as though I'll be placing an order for a new bottle soon.
    Mel.