Thread: Casting metal spare parts

Casting metal spare parts

I first tried casting using flexible moulds a couple of years ago, making a front sight for the Umarex Colt Custom Shop model which has none. Lost interest, for a while then me and Lawrie both had Crosman 766 rifles to reseal, and Lawrie needs a trigger. So while mine was in bits I made a mould and cast one in pewter. This pewter alloy is very hard and makes good castings. The first one I did below, I forgot to vibrate the mould so has a rough edge to the pin hole, although the bore is OK. The silicone rubber mould is supposed to be good for 100 pours of molten metal. Just an idea for interested guys to try during lockdown.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Nice job Barry...

Mmmmmm, I have a BSA mod B in need of a trigger guard.
    Between roughing out a rear sight block, making the elevation screw & a rear sight blade for it I was contemplating how to go about sorting out the trigger guard. The lengths of steel in the corner looked like one possibility by building it up in sections; major portion of the guard, under cylinder lug & probably two fillet pieces, but this might offer an alternative. Certainly easier than making a sand mould for aluminium, especially with that lug on the front of the pre war guards than fits the underside of the cylinder. Silicone would cope better with that........

Something to ponder,

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Nice job Barry...
    Thanks Peter, not suitable for some things but ideal for some rare hard to get items, as long as you have an original to copy. Very easy to do if one side of the item is flat. Odd shapes, such as Rods trigger guard he mentioned you have to make the mould in two parts, just a bit more work involved.

Baz

casting's

Hi, one of my son's has just started a small foundry business, only aluminium & brass/bronze [hope i am not breaking any rules?] but as my mother often said there's " no harm in asking" kind regards Al.

Found my Umarex foresight from Baz.

It does make a real difference to the Colt
    Without it 2 yard tin can hit unlikely!
    With it 10 yards is on

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Found my Umarex foresight from Baz.

It does make a real difference to the Colt
    Without it 2 yard tin can hit unlikely!
    With it 10 yards is on
    I think the Colt Custom Shop is one of the neatest looking .45 Colt S.A. with that shorty barrel, as long as it has a front sight. Think they did produce an aftermarket
    plastic sight, but was very shiny. Sylvester Stallone prefers it with the plain compensator slots.

Indeed
    But he's shooting big baddies four feet away

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Interesting - thanks for sharing.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL