Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New FWB Sport - The good, the bad and the ugly - Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    you planning on knocking up a "new FWB sport MK4 Anorak's" web site ?
    Not likely

Just curious as to the highest number we have over here

I had a play with mine today, and made and fitted a delrin guide to replace the steel one I had made for it. Lovely now.

Then I whipped 3" off the barrel. Even better now.
    And power went up 0.5ftlb
    B.A.S.C. member

FWB Sport

I'm going for the 30mm glided option or 25mm depending on what plans VMach have for it. Or just blow the budget and buy another and get it rebarreled in .22 cal. Mach 1.5
    Last edited by Mach 1.5; 16-05-2020 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal1 View Post
    Delrin guides?

Put a scope on or you definitely won't hit anything.
    Actually I use acetal, it machines better

And yes you are probably right but will have to save up my pennies first
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Would you remember to add the serial number to the serial number thread ?
    Cheers
    Will do👍
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Will do👍
    Nice one thanks
    B.A.S.C. member

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

Then I whipped 3" off the barrel. Even better now.
    And power went up 0.5ftlb
    you shortened from the breech, or took the choke off ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    you shortened from the breech, or took the choke off ?
    Took the choke off Jon
    B.A.S.C. member

Took the choke off Jon
    Well that’s a shame. You are lucky enough to get number 124 of the model 124, make a massive fuss over it and you just cut the choke off? For me a beautifully choked barrel is FWB in a nutshell.

Not only that but you shorten the sight line of the open sights, binning the ‘back to basics’ philosophy of the entire project. I assume you re-machined the barrel to take a foresight?

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBuzz View Post
    Well that’s a shame. You are lucky enough to get number 124 of the model 124, make a massive fuss over it and you just cut the choke off? For me a beautifully choked barrel is FWB in a nutshell.

Not only that but you shorten the sight line of the open sights, binning the ‘back to basics’ philosophy of the entire project. I assume you re-machined the barrel to take a foresight?
    Hi Rich
    It was never the intention to use opens.

I thought my actions with this would make a few cringe.

Time will tell whether what I've done will affect accuracy, but I'm thinking it won't. I've certainly proved that either the barrel length or choke robs power.

I didn't buy this for any kind of homeage to the original Sport, neither did I buy it as a collectable. I bought it to use in the field.
    B.A.S.C. member

I did collect guns and then sold off the collection. The reason is because I like the shooting part more.

There are stamp collectors that like mint never used, and those that find the postal stamp been used just as appealing. The same goes for air rifle collectors and collections. Though a mint Airsporter S in box is a joy, most joy was done using them to such an extent they might have ended worn out and in the bin.
    I have a mint FWB Sport but also a user Sport still. One of the few collector grade rifles I still own. In truth factory air rifles were made in numbers so very few are rare. Mint ones can become rare, but even rarer to be any financial investment of merit if bough new and stuck in a safe. The return on investment is lousy though the ownership has some return.

Having a fully tuned new rifle with an interesting serial number is just fun. The serial number might have a touch of premium to a mint in box collectors but still just a bit of fun. How a stock rifle is customised really is up to how someone wants to take the process and what they want to try. The result is if the end result achieves expectations. Part of the enjoyment is the road to getting to meet those expectations and sometimes its a frustrating road. Thats a hobby in itself.

Frankly what people do with their consumer property is up to them. Air rifles are consumables. Not every Faberge Egg will survive and no Air Rifle is an egg!
    I wouldn't have chosen this route but whatever floats someone's boat. I've started a good few projects and wished I'd never started. Some have come off great though. Its all fun.
    Last edited by Muskett; 18-05-2020 at 03:37 PM.

Hi Rich
    It was never the intention to use opens.

I thought my actions with this would make a few cringe.

Time will tell whether what I've done will affect accuracy, but I'm thinking it won't. I've certainly proved that either the barrel length or choke robs power.

I didn't buy this for any kind of homeage to the original Sport, neither did I buy it as a collectable. I bought it to use in the field.
    You should have swapped it for another number Rob.

I like a custom rifle, I really do, but some things are just beyond alteration for the sake of it.

A rifle like that deserves more respect. Neil young has a guitar owned by Hank Williams, he says, much more eloquently than this, that he doesn’t own it, he’s just keeping it a while...

Sorry man(channeling my inner mr young), but, like I said, it’s a real shame.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBuzz View Post
    You should have swapped it for another number Rob.

I like a custom rifle, I really do, but some things are just beyond alteration for the sake of it.

A rifle like that deserves more respect. Neil young has a guitar owned by Hank Williams, he says, much more eloquently than this, that he doesn’t own it, he’s just keeping it a while...

Sorry man(channeling my inner mr young), but, like I said, it’s a real shame.
    Its only a shame if I'd have shagged the barrel.
    Which incidentally shoots just as well as before I "ruined" it.

The value of this rifle has always been irrelevant. I bought it for me.
    B.A.S.C. member

I think, it's your rifle and what you do with it its your business. You bought it for shooting and you have made it more enjoyable for this. My two cents.

Madness! My 2 cents worth!

I get the "that's not original with my 1970's motorbikes. I had the stripes airbrushed on my 1977 CB750k7 Honda fuel tank after a repair & repaint, originally they were decals. . My 1978 Kawasaki KZ650 is Orange, Im being told it's not a Kwak 650 colour, so what but, it's an USA model & Kawasaki 1000 came in the same Orange. The U.S. owner must have had it sprayed Orange & Orange is part of the bikes history now. To me History of an item more important to me than history of a model.

When my 2006 1200 K6 Suzuki Bandit has a Turbo fitted no one will comment on originality for another 36yrs I don't expect.

Doesn't matter if YOU want to cut 3" off the barrel Rob, it's your rifle. Different peoples views that's all.
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!