Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martini Henry MKIV

Martini Henry MKIV

The other day I ordered a Martini Henry Mark IV rifle and it just arrived this morning.

Lovely looking rifle with plenty of its original bluing left and next to no pitting on the barrel (tiny bit on the wood line that is it). Bore is perfect to. The fore end has been repaired at some point in its past but that does not bother me too much. Overall a great gun and I am glad to have it!

It has both a Enfield cartouche and a Firozpur cartouche. It also sent to Kirkee arsenal in 1908 before being shipped to Nepal.

My only question with it is, what do the Nepalese markings mean? (I know the markings in the rectangle box on the stock is Chandra) but the other Nepalese markings on the stock and trigger guard I have no idea. I believe that the trigger guard marking is the regiment/unit markings but that is all I know. Anyone on here knowledgeable on these markings?

Thank you, here is a link to some pictures. If any more are needed, please let me know.

https://imgur.com/gallery/qHyRZeY
    Last edited by Huttles94; 07-05-2020 at 02:41 PM.

link not working

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    link not working
    Odd, I edited the link, does it work now?

Very nice rifle, I have been looking for a Carbine version for a bit now but they seem to be almost impossible to find in good condition, are you planning on shooting it or is it just a wall hanger?

I shot one a couple of years ago and it was great fun

working now
    are you sure its a c variant as most b versions have a barleycorn front sight and a letter b in front of the serial number on the knox form like yours does.
    obviously this is not set in stone but i cannot see your front sight which should be a ramp if a c version
    and they shouldnt be a wooden plug on the butt where they filled in to adapt to a longer lever

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    working now
    are you sure its a c variant as most b versions have a barleycorn front sight and a letter b in front of the serial number on the knox form like yours does.
    obviously this is not set in stone but i cannot see your front sight which should be a ramp if a c version
    and they shouldnt be a wooden plug on the butt where they filled in to adapt to a longer lever
    It does indeed have a ramp front sight, also the B pattern (according to Neil Aspinshaw's book) does not have the two sets of inspection marking. I also have been told that the serial numbers on the B variants are on the right side of the knox form and not the left though I dont know if this is true.

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    Very nice rifle, I have been looking for a Carbine version for a bit now but they seem to be almost impossible to find in good condition, are you planning on shooting it or is it just a wall hanger?

I shot one a couple of years ago and it was great fun
    I do not have an FAC so its a hanger for now but I do plan on getting one in the future and this is one I will most certainly plan on shooting when I do.

Also there are a few carbines in the upcoming Holts Auction. Though one is a kyber pass copy, another a commercial gun and the best one is a IC1 artillery carbine (wrongly listed as a cavalry carbine). I have an IC1 artillery carbine which is in shootable condition (mint bore but pitting under barrel but due to thickness I dont this this is an issue. Would still get it checked before I shoot it though) and a BSA commercial carbine which is in a sorry state (missing breech block and bore is fuzzy, but with some work it might be a shooter since there is less pitting on the underside of the barrel then the IC1).

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
    It does indeed have a ramp front sight, also the B pattern (according to Neil Aspinshaw's book) does not have the two sets of inspection marking. I also have been told that the serial numbers on the B variants are on the right side of the knox form and not the left though I dont know if this is true.
    not sure myself as my reading on it was ramp sight C version
    barley corn sight with b before serial was a b version and without b then its an A
    neil is the man on martini henrys so i would get in touch with him......username on martini henry forum is zulu neil
    makes no odds which version it is as they all shoot ok

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)

Nepalese gun marks

You might find this John Walters production useful

https://www.archivingindustry.com/Gu...s/gunmarks.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
    I do not have an FAC so its a hanger for now but I do plan on getting one in the future and this is one I will most certainly plan on shooting when I do.
    It's a crime not to use this rifle! Lovely buy

Quote Originally Posted by Ranyhyn View Post
    It's a crime not to use this rifle! Lovely buy
    its certainly an experience if you use a military load of 85gns of bp and a bullet around 480-500 gns
    most reloaders stick to around 65 - 70 gns for accuracy

MH Video

I don't know if this link will work, but this is me firing my Martini-Henry Mk1V on the zero range at Bisley about seven years ago. Let's see....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqeHwrAjxh4

I found that using coarse black powder is much more pleasant than using medium. This didn't kick too badly at all, quite mild actually, but using medium turns it into a spiteful *****. It's back off ticket now and I don't shoot it anymore, but it was a lot of fun for a few years.

85gr of 2Fg.

Makes a lasting impression - at both ends.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    85gr of 2Fg.

Makes a lasting impression - at both ends.
    that was the service load and not necessary the most accurate.
    i usually shoot mine between 60 - 70 gns of swiss n3

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    I made a few 80gr rounds when I started, I now only use 65gr. Too painful on my old joints
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)