Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post war seniors.

Post war seniors.

While on the subject of 1945/7 air guns. Just had a closer inspection of four Webley seniors post war models 1946/9. All with long knurled barrels,long curled triggers , oil with arrow etc.
    Two of these, batch number 111 and 653. Under left hand grip is stamped 4111 and 4653 on the other one, like serial nos. the other two are stamped batch 190 and 960, under grips are stamped just the 190 and 960 only.Interesting. I wonder if someone like John mil.picks this up and could throw some light on the above.

Have a read through this thread started by John, with contributions from quite a few others.

Webley Batch Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    While on the subject of 1945/7 air guns. Just had a closer inspection of four Webley seniors post war models 1946/9. All with long knurled barrels,long curled triggers , oil with arrow etc.
    Two of these, batch number 111 and 653. Under left hand grip is stamped 4111 and 4653 on the other one, like serial nos. the other two are stamped batch 190 and 960, under grips are stamped just the 190 and 960 only.Interesting. I wonder if someone like John mil.picks this up and could throw some light on the above.
    Hi Roly,

Webley used to stamp the last 3 digits of a 3 digit 'batch' number on the spring guide/front bung. Probably missed the leading number due to a lack of space.

Kind regards,

John

Yes
    I have 3 Juniors, 2 Premiers and a Senior with 4 No's under the grip and 3 on the front....it's lack of space.

Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    I thought from the other thread that you were saying you had them with “oil here”. So all yours have the later “oil”. Would like to see a pic of a “oil here” post war. Anyone have an example?

batch numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Roly,

Webley used to stamp the last 3 digits of a 3 digit 'batch' number on the spring guide/front bung. Probably missed the leading number due to a lack of space.

Kind regards,

John
    Thanks both troubleshooter and john for you expertise , i will go and have a glass of chardonnay on the strength of that.
    Regards Roly.

Well the challenge is out there........Post war Senior with ‘oil here’, photo!!

Quote Originally Posted by archer24 View Post
    Well the challenge is out there........Post war Senior with ‘oil here’, photo!!
    Well I can't meet that challenge. from the post WWII period I have 3 x pre Sept. 1949 seniors and 5 post Sept 1949. All are simply marked 'oil'. It's a similar story with the MKI models that I have.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Well I can't meet that challenge. from the post WWII period I have 3 x pre Sept. 1949 seniors and 5 post Sept 1949. All are simply marked 'oil'. It's a similar story with the MKI models that I have.
    Do all of your pre Sept. 1949 have curly trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Do all of your pre Sept. 1949 have curly trigger?

Yes, all 3

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Yes, all 3
    Does anyone else have a old style trigger like mine? Maybe you have to assume I’m looking in the wrong place? All the first pistols were exported for much needed currency at the time. Also mine being a 22 at a time when lead was not readily available in the UK?
    Last edited by 45flint; 09-05-2020 at 10:14 PM.

Just looked through all my Post War Seniors, 14 to be precise, and they all have curly triggers and just the word 'oil'.
    I have a few more somewhere that I can't access at present, but I suspect they will probably be the same.

Interesting to me how certain vintage Airguns are maybe easier to find here in the US than in the UK and the rest of Europe? Examples I have experienced;

1. Obviously the Stoeger Webley Pistols.
    2. The first transitional postwar Webley pistols, exported?
    3. Haenel 28-R
    4. Diana 58 second model. (I think because of Stoeger as well)

Hard to know how GI war bringbacks influence this. Certainly was prevalent.

I suppose the other question is has anyone got a pre war with just “oil” on it? And what serial number did “oil here” stop?

Quote Originally Posted by archer24 View Post
    I suppose the other question is has anyone got a pre war with just “oil” on it? And what serial number did “oil here” stop?
    Both of mine have 'oil here'.