Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post war seniors.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Both of mine have 'oil here'.
    As have both of my pre war slant grip seniors

Quote Originally Posted by archer24 View Post
    I suppose the other question is has anyone got a pre war with just “oil” on it? And what serial number did “oil here” stop?
    Bruce’s book would says that the “here” disappeared post war so there would be no serial number? Only question to me is, he says the “here“ was dropped by 1947? He implies that some post war guns were made with “here” but he doesn’t show any. I question that any were made. He probably didn’t have any examples? As stated most of the early post war pistols were exported for currency. Given he is writing in England he may be in a poor position to really know this small segment of the Senior’s history? No one here has shown me a earlier post war example than mine I obtained in the US.
    Last edited by 45flint; 12-05-2020 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Bruce’s book would says that the “here” disappeared post war so there would be no serial number? Only question to me is, he says the “here“ was dropped by 1947? He implies that some post war guns were made with “here” but he doesn’t show any. I question that any were made. He probably didn’t have any examples? As stated most if not all? of the early post war pistols were exported for currency. Given he is writing in England he may be in a poor position to really know this small segment of the Senior’s history? No one here has shown me a earlier post war example than mine I obtained in the US.
    All text books are out of date almost as soon as they are published . As interested people study the tomes, they discover pieces that do not conform to what is written about . Learning the history is as much fun as owning and shooting them. I have an E series Premier, Batch no. 483 blued version with a mild steel barrel catch. It is dated 1 2 under the grip. I think Bruce states the earliest dated 1972 Premier he knew about before publication bore the date 2 72 and there appears to be an indistinctness as to when the date marking changed format.
    Last edited by WebleyWombler; 11-05-2020 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    All text books are out of date almost as soon as they are published . As interested people study the tomes, they discover pieces that do not conform to what is written about . Learning the history is as much fun as owning and shooting them. I have an E series Premier, Batch no. 483 blued version with a mild steel barrel catch. It is dated 1 2 under the grip. I think Bruce states the earliest dated 1972 Premier he knew about before publication bore the date 2 72 and there appears to be an indistinctness as to when the date marking changed format.
    Totally agree, to me the fun of a transitional pistol far outweighs its value as a shooter. Love finding little known facts about vintage guns that are probably totally meaningless to most. No book could cover everything about these pistols. To me it is a hoot holding a 1946 Senior, and its just a incredibly well made piece.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    This is true. The best books (eg Thrale and Bruce on Webleys) are great, but obsessive weirdos like us (I mean that in a nice way) are always finding odd things that add to the story.

‘Obsessive weirdo’ better than what the misses call me.......��
    There are quite a few errors in mr Bruce’s book, but still a great reference book.

Ok not a Senior but just got a 1969 Junior......according to the book from 1963 the barrel was extended to .234” protruding. Page 101. Mine hasn’t got this but my 1972 does.
    Did this come in 1970ish with the sprayed ones? Or I just get one with a old barrel on it?

Oil Here.

Further to my opening thread. Just found in my collection a 1935/6 Webley MK1 new model slant grip in .177 serial number 54152.with the OIL HERE and arrow stamped on the action, this is in superb condition having had a very professional refinish inside and out. I know a lot of people prefer original patina on guns etc. I prefer to have a nice refinish than a rusty relic.
    Finding near mint examples of pre war guns is not that easy. Enjoy the hunt.

Checked all slant grip prewar & early Seniors/mk1's, all as expected: pre-war 'oil here'; post war 'oil'; both with arrow. Also some of them with longer batch numbers use 2-3 digits abbreviations on several parts. This is also the case on the Service rifle.
    Collection: vintage air pistols & air rifles / vintage air gun accessories
    Facebook groups: vintage air guns 1. Webley, 2 BSA, 3. Haenel, 4. Weihrauch, 5. Diana