Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entry level Target Pistol

Entry level Target Pistol

Hi all,

I'm keen to be giving this a go, and am wondering which pistols forum members would recommend for a beginner. And I mean beginner[I[/I]………..some people say they are beginners, and they will knock the socks off my abilities......

Cost is obviously an issue, as I don't want to invest too much in something I may not be doing regularly and my pockets are far from deep, and so I would be looking sub £450 or less if I can get away with it.

So.…..any recommendations??????

Regards,

Louie

Louie,

Like many things, it is 'how long is a piece of string'.

Many chappies would recommend a 'modern' PCP pistol straight off the bat - some of the earlier pistols from ca. 2000 can be had for the monies you suggest.

These pistols have the 'correct' ergonomics and adjustability needed. Also check the test dating on the older cylinders, which most likely have expired by now.

Have a look at models from Pardini, Walther, Feinwerkbau, and Steyr.

Have you charging equipments for PCPs ? if not, it can get expensive if added to the purchase of the pistol

Next up are single stroke pneumatic pistols from the 'golden age' of SSPs - Feinwerkbau 100 series, Walther LPM2 etc. Beautiful shooters these. Bargains are getting thin on the ground, particularly the FWB103, which can go for silly monies. Re-sealing may be needed.

The Walther LP2 & 3 are older SSPs pistols, which may be worth a look.

A 'modern' SSP pistol such as the Baikal MP46M is an alternative, though the days of these being attractively priced are over

For beginner pistols, the HW40 and Gamo Compact SSPs can be surprisingly good.

Some chappies will suggest a CO2 match pistol, again from the 1980s & 1990s - many good models from Walther & Feinwerkbau. These shoot very nicely indeed

Bulk loading of CO2 will need something like an old CO2 fire-extinguisher .

Next we have the classic recoiless springers - FWB 65, 80, & 90, Diana/Original Model 10 - lovely shooters, that still have the accuracy to bring home the bacon - they just do not have the adjustability of modern PCP pistols - you can get a bargain here - £250 - £350 will get you an example in fine fettle.

The more knowledgeable chappies will soon be on, and offer you sage advice.

Have fun & a good Bank Holiday weekend

Best regards

Russ

As a taster for starters you won't go far wrong if you opt for something like a Gamo Compact. Accurate, cheap to buy and run and if you don't take to it can be moved on with very little loss. A good starter base to try the sport without breaking the bank. You should be able to pick up a mint S/H one for less than £150 and sell it for similar money later.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Join a club first would be my suggestion...
    This has the advantage that you'll get some excellent tips to start with and you can use the club guns to start with and members are usually happy for you to try out their own guns if you show an interest.
    Quite often someone will have or know of something for sale as well that will never see the open market.
    This will save you a lot of money to start with.

If you don't want to wait until post lock down however, then I wouldn't spend a lot as :
    A) you'll either get into it and quickly want something better or
    B) you won't and you don't want a lot invested.

Something like a Gamo Compact has the all important target grips (almost worth the price of the gun alone) and with some very basic fettling to the trigger (good threads on that here), is a very capable gun and easy to sell on again when you want to upgrade.

Good luck whatever you decide...
    Harvey

Hi I have 2 X Walther co2 pistols,these can be found for not much more than a compact there's a cp2 on guntrader for £250....a brand new fire extinguisher is about £23 delivered not too expensive ,they usually come with the filler cap but they are about £30 on e gun.
    The grips are better on the later ones (cpm1 my fav) also have an early CP 2 and the diff is the grips,
    Not used a fwb yet so can't comment on them..my next step is to join a club and if I get as far as comps then I might treat myself to a new one...
    Try an ask on here if something takes your fancy,that's worked for me !
    Cheers ian

Tau 7. Very hard to beat.Theyre still made so you can buy them new too if you want. So than you dont have to mess with overhauling like you do with old FWB/Walther etc stuff.
    Also, fixed cilinder so its never out of date
    ATB,
    yana

Louie,

+1 on the Tau 7.

My Tau 7 Match is (for me) a superb pistol.

60 - 70 shots from a 12g CO2 caplet.

Spares are easily obtained either from Sureshot here in the UK (https://sureshot-airguns.co.uk/), or direct from the factory.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Thank you all for the input, it is seriously appreciated.

Now got to try and find a club near me

And take it from there.

Another for the Tau7

Superbly accurate, Good trigger when set up properly, spares are ridiculously cheap and readily available and they are a nicely balanced pistol,

Earlier CO2 are also good but some are put off by bulk fill (although his is very easy) Spares are getting scarcer for some models however,

Baikal 46m- great pistol but hard to get at a good price now and spares becoming an issue,

Gamo compact - for £100 used an accurate pistol that will certainly get you started,

For £450 you'll not find many PCP's of match quality (but for £250 you'll find a very nice example of a Tau7 that will serve you well and still be worth the same if you later decide to go PCP cos you got hooked ,

Nige
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Baikals are good, but practically a non-starter as spares are unobtainable and the price is far too high for something you can't repair.

Tau 7's are very good, I own one myself... But I cannot remember the last time I saw a secondhand one, which means you'd probably be looking at a new one which is around £440.

BUT, before spending all that (which you won't get back selling on) - I'd join a club first and see if the sport is for you - because if it is, for just a little more you start to get into secondhand high end pistols and that's where you'll want to be anyway.
    Last edited by harvey_s; 12-05-2020 at 09:09 AM.

So.………..

Get a Tau 7...…………. if I can find one...……

Join a club...…..when I can...…….

Look for SH bargains.

Sorted!!!!!!!

Hi

Pm sent,
    J.
    ok, I admit it, I've got a problem.
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.uk/[url]

Tau 7 or Gamo Compact then think about needing an upgrade when your average is over 90.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

FWB 65 or 80.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Finding these pistols seems like finding rocking horse dung...…….Especially with the lockdown...……..