Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .303 light load

just quickloaded your load
    had to use a 150gn norma fmj as no ppu bullets on file
    presume a .303 mk4 as a 25 inch barrel
    again i assume a .303 as 49000 psi rating
    with 27 gns of vhit 140 you fill half the case , only burn 80% of your powder and achieve 1700 fps with a chamber pressure of around 13700 psi
    33 gns gives you 68% case fill, 89 % powder burn with a speed of 2000 fps and pressure around 2000 psi
    this is theory so take with a pinch of salt....personally i would not use your load.
    i reduced my load on my .308 for my partner to try a big centrefire as an upgrade from my .223
    the load i used which i wont publish as its not on hand but its verified by the manufacturers as safe so its not guess work
    i used a 168gn bullet with X amount of trailboss powder.....rifle shot lovely with no recoil and subsonic i believe but scope had to be altered by around 70 clicks at 110 yds.....accuracy around 40mm
    perfectly safe but we moved up in stages with that powder the limit.....we then moved on to hodgdon 4895 powder and increased velocity to around 2000 fps but she didnt want to go further as its now acting like a .308 but around 5-600 fps slower than normal
    if you want me to quickload data for you then please get in touch

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    When I was searching for a low load for my schmidt rubin I joined the Swiss rifles forum, they were the only ones who didn't say "I uses this load" (a rearly hot load) then say "why do you want to download it?" the advice I was given by the Swiss rifles gang was 16 grains of 2400, they said it was the standad starter load for WW2 rifles. I checked it using quick load and the pressures were well under the limit
    -swiss-chamber-
    Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    just quickloaded your load
    had to use a 150gn norma fmj as no ppu bullets on file
    presume a .303 mk4 as a 25 inch barrel
    again i assume a .303 as 49000 psi rating
    with 27 gns of vhit 140 you fill half the case , only burn 80% of your powder and achieve 1700 fps with a chamber pressure of around 13700 psi
    33 gns gives you 68% case fill, 89 % powder burn with a speed of 2000 fps and pressure around 2000 psi
    this is theory so take with a pinch of salt....personally i would not use your load.
    i reduced my load on my .308 for my partner to try a big centrefire as an upgrade from my .223
    the load i used which i wont publish as its not on hand but its verified by the manufacturers as safe so its not guess work
    i used a 168gn bullet with X amount of trailboss powder.....rifle shot lovely with no recoil and subsonic i believe but scope had to be altered by around 70 clicks at 110 yds.....accuracy around 40mm
    perfectly safe but we moved up in stages with that powder the limit.....we then moved on to hodgdon 4895 powder and increased velocity to around 2000 fps but she didnt want to go further as its now acting like a .308 but around 5-600 fps slower than normal
    if you want me to quickload data for you then please get in touch
    Thanks for the input The 30gn and 33gn loads seemed to burn all the powder it was only the 27gn load that had a little unburnt powder left in the barrel ( and a smokey case neck ) The accuracy bit is still to be determined as I only had 5 rnds of each load but I was getting around 4MOA @ 100yds with iron sights. I'm sure we can improve on that. At the moment I don't shoot this rifle very often and when I do it is normally at 100 Yards. It's an old girl and I'm an old guy so it's kinder to both of us. It may well be coming out of the safe more often now. Thankyou for the quickload offer but I have a coupe of .308s with extremely accurate loads I've developed so won't be changing anything there in the near future.
    Big Ears AKA BE.

Quote Originally Posted by junkyard dog View Post
    Thanks for that.

Thanks for the input The 30gn and 33gn loads seemed to burn all the powder it was only the 27gn load that had a little unburnt powder left in the barrel ( and a smokey case neck ) The accuracy bit is still to be determined as I only had 5 rnds of each load but I was getting around 4MOA @ 100yds with iron sights. I'm sure we can improve on that. At the moment I don't shoot this rifle very often and when I do it is normally at 100 Yards. It's an old girl and I'm an old guy so it's kinder to both of us. It may well be coming out of the safe more often now. Thankyou for the quickload offer but I have a coupe of .308s with extremely accurate loads I've developed so won't be changing anything there in the near future.
    Your gun isn't that old, according to the serial number of my schmidt rubin its over 118 years old (and is still capable of out shooting alot of modern guns)
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Thanks for that.

offer is there.....
    unique is a fast pistol powder and for shotguns so its properties are different and he is using cast bullets
    i would use trailboss if you have it or use plated cast bullets with ce harris load data.
    i had issues with my 8mm with cast loads and the above data . i couldnt hit a barn door if i was stood next to it.
    i was using cast bullets gas checked at .323
    the only way i could gas checked the bullets was to size them in my lyman lubrisizer which made the .323.
    you need to use a couple of thou more in cast bullets so i needed .325/6
    in the end shell house reloading made them gas checked at .325 and everything fell into place..... 2 thou made all the distance plus i had to adjust the rear sight to around 600 yds.
    your rifle will take full power loads as my 1904 /39 verguiero will spit out 198gn bullets all day without any issues apart from oil leeching out of the stock lol
    my shoulder wont take it though...... i use 175gn sierras in it now but still full loads

found this for you
    180grs. S&B FMJBT, CCI large rifle primers, 37,8grs VV N140, OAL 77,8mm works greatwith all 3 LE´s i have

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    found this for you
    180grs. S&B FMJBT, CCI large rifle primers, 37,8grs VV N140, OAL 77,8mm works greatwith all 3 LE´s i have
    That looks like an interesting load I've put it in the book to give it a go. I ruled out the cast bullets as my No4 is the 5 grooved barrel and I could see potential leading problems.
    My No4 is a bit of fun so I'm not too bothered about accuracy
    Big Ears AKA BE.

That looks like an interesting load I've put it in the book to give it a go. I ruled out the cast bullets as my No4 is the 5 grooved barrel and I could see potential leading problems.
    My No4 is a bit of fun so I'm not too bothered about accuracy
    If the lead is hard enough, its gas checked and its kicking out about 1000 foot pounds muzzle energy then home cast should be hard enough, I'm using home cast but the lead I used was nearly pure (fore my muzzle Loaders) the barrels of mt mosan nagant and my schmidt rubin leaded up, but now I have antimony I can cast hard lead which age hardens
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill

If the lead is hard enough, its gas checked and its kicking out about 1000 foot pounds muzzle energy then home cast should be hard enough, I'm using home cast but the lead I used was nearly pure (fore my muzzle Loaders) the barrels of mt mosan nagant and my schmidt rubin leaded up, but now I have antimony I can cast hard lead which age hardens
    I hear what your saying and I'm sure you're right but I really don't have the space or the inclination to home cast As I said the No4 is predominately used for plinking fun and if I do have a more serious shoot I can always use factory PPU which it seems to like
    Big Ears AKA BE.

as above...https://www.shellhousebulletcompany....st+Rifle+Heads
    a good lube can take easily 2000 fps and more.
    one of lads i know uses .314 and shoots brilliantly
    above sells them gas checked , lubed and 3 sizes

I hear what your saying and I'm sure you're right but I really don't have the space or the inclination to home cast As I said the No4 is predominately used for plinking fun and if I do have a more serious shoot I can always use factory PPU which it seems to like
    i use my schmidt rubin and mosin nagant only for plinking as my range only has a 25m and a 50m range