Thread: My Lockdown project

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I annealed the steel to glowing red. I then made a 6mm x 25mm flat steel plate with rounded ends and marked out the half way point on the rods and plate. I then clamped it in my vice and formed the rod around the steel plate using a big hammer and brass bar as a drift. I then made up a brass wire form and used it as a guide to bend up the last bit. As you say, getting the legs at the same length and angle was very tricky. Out of the whole build, I felt making these swivels was the most out of control and time consuming bit of the whole thing!

My workshop is nothing special, just the basic model engineering/modelling type stuff. Nothing too surprising to be found in it, all the normal stuff.

I bought the Fowler quite cheap and it had been messed with and dressed up (poorly in my opinion) to make it more presentable. The gun does/did have a Belgian proof on it and a club member did suggested I just shoot it. However, due the price I paid and it's overall condition, I felt it would be a very good use of £90 to simply reproof it for piece of mind. Those that know me in my club know I don't do anything by half. I value the bits on my body quite highly and wouldn't want to see them splashed all over the range if I took a chance :-0

Barrel is 16g (0.670", 17mm)

One must always remember safety first with firearms!
    Money can't buy new body parts.

Now I have full confidence in the barrel, so will my club and any future owner :-)
    Last edited by MrChipShoulder; 15-05-2020 at 09:11 PM.