Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Britannia youtube vid is finally up!

Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    Hi John,

I can't remember if I gave you mine - 2771, .177 and rifled.

ATB, Mick
    Hi Mick,

Yes, got that one - that's the Britannia with the additional peep element, if my records are correct?

Kind regards,

John

Making progress found someone with 2 that wouldn’t sell me one? Is that progress?

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I've spent almost 10 years researching and writing up an account of all BSA air rifles that were made between 1905 and 1939, their accessories, use, various sighting systems, etc. It started out as an aide memoir for myself and expanded in what is fast becoming a lifetime's work!

Kind regards,

John
    This book promises to be another classic in the story of vintage airguns. Good though John Knibbs' efforts were, the earlier book is not exactly comprehensive by modern standards and the later book has airguns all mixed up with powder burners, which makes it difficult to extract the information, which is frustratingly limited in any case.

We are lucky to be living in something of a 'golden age' of vintage airguns, with several great writers and researchers willing to devote their time to this pursuit.

I for one can't wait to get my copy!

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hi Mick,

Yes, got that one - that's the Britannia with the additional peep element, if my records are correct?

Kind regards,

John
    Hi John,

That's the one, peepsight and all.

ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    Having had the piston out I can see why the trigger weight cannot easily be set for both power settings: the slots in the piston that the sear engages with are not necessarily the same depth or profile. For mine with the trigger set nicely for full power it is very heavy for half power. That makes sense because the rear (half power) slot seemed to be the deeper set, no doubt so that when the gun is fired at full power the piston passes easily over the withdrawn sear without re-engaging. Presumably if set nicely for half power then full power would be dangerously light, and I wonder if that is why they have the stop screw so that you can set it up so that it will not cock to full power when your trigger is set for half power use. ?
    Thats funny, it’s normally the opposite: with both piston slots the same depth it’s usually a much lighter trigger pull on low power.
    Maybe someone made your rifles low power slot deeper, to counteract the usual problem, and this reversed it and ended up with the trigger pull heavier on low power instead.

I read someone flipped the piston over and machined fresh slots on the other side of theirs, not sure if they fitted a hardened plate though.

I’ve shot the one DEVALI worked on and it shoots really nicely.

Worn cocking slots seem to be the main issue with surviving Britannia’s. I say just use them on full power. Duel power feature seems a bit of a gimmick to me.

Always worth trying to get them shooting well, I’m sure they appreciate it. 😊

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    Easily tested. How much do you like sheep?
    Having had the piston out I can see why the trigger weight cannot easily be set for both power settings: the slots in the piston that the sear engages with are not necessarily the same depth or profile. For mine with the trigger set nicely for full power it is very heavy for half power. That makes sense because the rear (half power) slot seemed to be the deeper set, no doubt so that when the gun is fired at full power the piston passes easily over the withdrawn sear without re-engaging. Presumably if set nicely for half power then full power would be dangerously light, and I wonder if that is why they have the stop screw so that you can set it up so that it will not cock to full power when your trigger is set for half power use. ?
    By the time a person has pulled, and well before releasing the trigger, the piston is fully home and waiting for the next cocking cycle.
    There is no opportunity for the sear to foul the piston
    From the little that I know of the Brittania, the trigger sear screw sets the let off. The stop screw is to fix the cocking arc and eliminate passing on to full power when shooting inside or bell or such.

That your example is very heavy on low power may have more to do with the 'locking' angle of the sear and the piston slot face and that there is barely discernible wear on the high power slot?

About sheep. They are best enjoyed on the plate with mint sauce, veges and mashed spuds.
    Or, as I have heard it, out the back field wearing gumboots. The gumboots slow them down and make them easier to catch
    Last edited by slow_runner; 19-05-2020 at 11:54 AM.

Maybe someone made your rifles low power slot deeper, to counteract the usual problem, and this reversed it and ended up with the trigger pull heavier on low power instead.
    I suspect that may be it. It looked as if it had seen a file. But then as I was tickling the slots myself with a needle file to correct the spontaneous discharge I may just have got a slight angle on full power that’s not there on half.

Anyway it’s running nicely now and as you say, I’m just going to use it on full power and not mess about unduly
    Morally flawed

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I've spent almost 10 years researching and writing up an account of all BSA air rifles that were made between 1905 and 1939, their accessories, use, various sighting systems, etc. It started out as an aide memoir for myself and expanded in what is fast becoming a lifetime's work!

Kind regards,

John
    This sounds right up my strasse... Put me down for a copy please

Britannia youtube vid is finally up!

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Wow. Simply the best Vintage Airgun review I have even seen. Great research and put together masterfully. Makes me want to own one but what are the chances. I love that at those early times 7.5 FPE was consider powerful. I think still ideal for target shooting. I wish more people would take the time to share their treasures with a UTube. Pictures are great but this shows what the rifles were really like. Keep it up!
    i think they probably nade a bit more than that when brand new. I'd guess that one is still on it's original mainspring.Wonderful video & fantastic design though.

If you are interested in vintage air rifles I think this is definately worth viewing. Well worth a look.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I think with a port sleave and a basic tune, 9-10 FP should be possible... I feel a project coming on...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Late to the party here but I'd like to thank you ptdunk for taking the time to make that superb video and share it with us. You can tell a lot of work went into it.

Just curious, but are the leather gloves to protect the finish of the rifle, or to protect your fingers from the somewhat scary beartrap between the trigger and cylinder?

Like many others on this thread I'm now dreaming of obtaining, or making, my own Brittania...
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post

Just curious, but are the leather gloves to protect the finish of the rifle, or to protect your fingers from the somewhat scary beartrap between the trigger and the cylinder?
    Hi,

When I first got it someone told me to wear cotton gloves to protect the finish but I found they slid around a bit on the metal grip and made it difficult to exercise good trigger technique.
    I got some leather gloves and gave them a good coating in gun oil and found they really helped as they were quite grippy.

Scary bear trap looks scary but as long as you keep your fingers well clear it's fine.

Got the pellet pen as a result and found that a very useful accessory.

Glad you liked the vid.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Last edited by ptdunk; 30-05-2020 at 09:30 PM.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Hi,

When I first got it someone told me to wear cotton gloves to protect the finish but I found they slid around a bit on the metal grip and made it difficult to exercise good trigger technique.
    I got some leather gloves and gave them a good coating in gun oil and found they really helped as they were quite grippy.
    Given the choice between looking like Mickey Mouse, or The Terminator....
    Good deals with these members

Great video very knowlegable