Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Britannia youtube vid is finally up!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Britannia youtube vid is finally up!

It's taken a year to finish but I'm really happy with it.

Wanted to share my enthusiasm for this Vintage classic, and hopefully introduce it to a few people who've never heard of it.
    Quite the labour of love...it's 36 mins long so get comfy!
    Enjoy:

https://youtu.be/hVYnb4fDzU4

Matt

Excellent stuff, thanks for making the video and sharing it with us

...but the Britannia is a fancy Gem pattern, it certainly owes its origin to the humble Gem pattern...
    blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    Excellent stuff, thanks for making the video and sharing it with us

...but the Britannia is a fancy Gem pattern, it certainly owes its origin to the humble Gem pattern...
    I know.... but it’s like a Rolls Royce compared to a Robin Reliant 😊

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    I know.... but it’s like a Rolls Royce compared to a Robin Reliant 😊

Cheers
    Except the RR came long before the rr...so your analogy is, at best, back to front....
    blah blah

...And I used to be able to quite regularly hit the 50yard bell at the old SDFTC club grounds up at the old Bincombe range, with a nice old smooth bored JM No2 that was putting out about half the power that your does...so there!

....that is lovely though...I'm jealous...damn!
    blah blah

Wow, Matt! What can I say? Outstanding piece of film making. I really enjoyed it and it was a timely treat for all us 'Covid-19 lockdown' victims! More than half an hour long, no less. Very nice research and good to see it used so expertly.

I particularly enjoyed the mock 1900s film when you tested the Britannia against the BSA Light. Amazing work. Well done and thank you.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

That is a fantastic video in every way many thanks.
    Morally flawed

Wow. Simply the best Vintage Airgun review I have even seen. Great research and put together masterfully. Makes me want to own one but what are the chances. I love that at those early times 7.5 FPE was consider powerful. I think still ideal for target shooting. I wish more people would take the time to share their treasures with a UTube. Pictures are great but this shows what the rifles were really like. Keep it up!

They are nice rifles the Britannia's. I used to own number 926 but swapped it for a Martini Henry Carbine last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

I particularly enjoyed the mock 1900s film when you tested the Britannia against the BSA Light.

Thanks Danny, I thought it’d give it a little flavour of the time, glad you liked it 😊

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I wish more people would take the time to share their treasures with a UTube. Pictures are great but this shows what the rifles were really like. Keep it up!
    I agree, for future projects I’m thinking ‘what would I like to see?’ I find the Britannia story particularly interesting so I got a bit carried away with this one. I think history of classic target rifles would be a good one.

Thanks for your kind comments,
    Matt

Britannia youtube vid is finally up!

Wow. Simply the best Vintage Airgun review I have even seen. Great research and put together masterfully. Makes me want to own one but what are the chances. I love that at those early times 7.5 FPE was consider powerful. I think still ideal for target shooting. I wish more people would take the time to share their treasures with a UTube. Pictures are great but this shows what the rifles were really like. Keep it up!
    i think they probably nade a bit more than that when brand new. I'd guess that one is still on it's original mainspring.Wonderful video & fantastic design though.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    It's taken a year to finish but I'm really happy with it.

Wanted to share my enthusiasm for this Vintage classic, and hopefully introduce it to a few people who've never heard of it.
    Quite the labour of love...it's 36 mins long so get comfy!
    Enjoy:

https://youtu.be/hVYnb4fDzU4

Matt
    Hello Matt,
    Well worth taking the time to produce such an excellent video review not only of the Brittania itself, but also of the social and industrial conditions in this country at the time of its manufacture.
    I do have a Gem in my collection which I only acquired as a token of the light competition to the BSAs and others that I considered to be serious attempts at producing quality air gun products at the time. I have examined a few Brittania air rifles and although the overall quality and build standard is obviously far superior to the Gems, I couldn't really embrace the bullpup concept. I have definitely changed my mind as a direct result of your video which will no doubt be reflected in my bank balance once the Kempton Park Fair resumes.

Thanks for taking the not inconsiderable time and effort needed to produce this extremely valuable addition to our collective vintage air gun resources.

Brian

In the end I’m not sure it was a good thing looking at this Utube? It has now put me on a near impossible quest here in the US! Darn you British and your Airgun ways.

In the end I’m not sure it was a good thing looking at this Utube? It has now put me on a near impossible quest here in the US! Darn you British and your Airgun ways.
    Larry H may be able to point you in the right direction Steve?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

A very well produced review Matt.

I enjoyed the period feel of the review and good to see you were dressed for the part.

I also liked the way you kept the viewer interested with your voice overs whilst demonstrating the accuracy of the old Britannia.

Your shooting wasn't bad either!

The 50 yard shooting that grew into the mythical 80 yards was originally done with a .25 Britannia, which is seriously impressive.

After watching the review, I want to go out and shoot my .25 at 50 yards just to see what it can do. However, notwithstanding the lockdown, my friend Paul O'Donnell has had that rifle on loan for around a year as he was looking to replicate the see-saw sight. I'll need to get it back when we can all go out shooting again.

Incidentally, my .25 has the highest serial number known at 3403, unless anyone reading this knows of a higher number?

Well done Matt - a great piece of production and a welcome change from all those unboxing videos that seem to litter YouTube.

John M