Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Britannia youtube vid is finally up!

What a lucky airgun!

Beautifully presented at YT. One's interest doesn't stray for a second during this gem of a half hour!Thank you. Trev

Excellent documentary! Your best so far. Would actually be a great on the Discovery History channel.
    Collection: vintage air pistols & air rifles / vintage air gun accessories
    Facebook groups: vintage air guns 1. Webley, 2 BSA, 3. Haenel, 4. Weihrauch, 5. Diana

Well worth the wait. Many thanks.

I don’t usually do the vintage/collectable stuff however, I’ve been a subscriber on your channel for quite some time and hand on heart this latest video is the best thing I’ve seen on YouTube for quite sometime.

Thoroughly enjoyed it that much, I’m going to watch it again

Britannia fan

Great presentation of the Britannia story. Thank you for taking the time to research and make, it's a really fabulous piece of work. As Britannia fan, owning three of these beauties, it was a pleasure to watch and especially see your excellent marksmanship with this old rifle. Yes, the balance of them makes them so good to shoot, my favourite rifle.

Just one small detail, I don't think the British army lost the Boer war. The average marksmanship may well have been poor and we got a few good hidings.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew64 View Post

Just one small detail, I don't think the British army lost the Boer war. The average marksmanship may well have been poor and we got a few good hidings.
    Ah, you’re quite right, Britain lost the first Boer war but forced the Boers into a settlement on the second Boer war.
    I’m sure the Boers won’t mind if I credit them with a second win 😊

Cheers,
    Matt

Thanks for the kind words chaps,
    Much appreciated.

Cheers Trevor, the article on your Scrapbook website started my interest in the Britannia’s history, and you’ve been very helpful putting me in touch with your knowledgeable mates.

Cheers,
    Matt

Most interesting and very well presented.

The piece about the bowler hat at 50 yards (from 'The Rifleman?) was particularly interesting because there is a similar or indeed the same story written about in A.G.Banks ...... "AG's Book of the Rifle", Page 197, which extends the range somewhat, so:

".....and its maker said that it would do good work up to 80 yards. Indeed, he told the story of a gentleman who disbelieving entirely that any air weapon could carry so far, put his hat on his walking stick, stuck it in the ground 80 yards away, and challenged the Bonehill expert to hit it.

The air-man accepted the challenge, set his sights, and fired a number of shots (.22 cal) without spotting and, as observed at that distance, without apparent effect.

However, on walking up to the "target", the disgruntled critic found his hat neatly pierced with holes corresponding to the shots; and not only that, but the head of his expensive cane completely smashed up by them! "

So the same story apart from the extra 30 yards of range and the target being a cane as opposed to an umbrella!

Could it be done? First of all the rifle was apparently in .22, virtually unheard of, but if correct a more efficient calibre. The Britannia had a long 'Cylinder' so 12 ft lbs if everything working in sync would have been entirely feasible. I have seen a 1920's BSA Standard shoot consistently at 15 ft lbs for example.

To hit the cane at 80 yards would have required a very good pellet, perhaps one of the contemporary 'Adder' BSA waisted pellets?

It is the accuracy which would have been the limiting factor as opposed to the power I think?

The Sporting Goods Review magazine also has interesting details of the rifle from the time. One edition states that just over 4000 examples were produced - across the Empire, so how many remained in the UK?

To me one of the most interesting facts was the size of the hole in a bell target was supposed to be the size of a man’s head at 100 yards? Did all you Englishmen know that? That’s is such a hoot if true? Or is it Urban legend?

Great video I thoroughly enjoyed it and moments after I had watched it I inexplicably found myself on Protek's website....

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    So the same story apart from the extra 30 yards of range and the target being a cane as opposed to an umbrella!
    Hi,
    I'd read the account in AG's Book of the rifle too, but I later read an excellent article by Jon Milewski (AGW Aug 2016) in which he discovered that AG Banks was retelling a story from 30 years earlier, written in the 1907 monthly issue of the SMRC/NSRA monthly newsletter by Matthew Hirst.
    In the original story it was 50 yards instead of 80, and an umbrella as apposed to a walking cane.

Johns article here, although you might not be able to read all of it:

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/airgu...82587377337772

Seems there was a little elaboration in the retelling.

Not sure I would have attempted it at 80yds! I had to give about 6 inches of holdover at 50 yards.

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    To me one of the most interesting facts was the size of the hole in a bell target was supposed to be the size of a man’s head at 100 yards? Did all you Englishmen know that? That’s is such a hoot if true? Or is it Urban legend?
    I love that idea too, read it in a few different places.

I was planning to film a shot looking down the sights to the bell target, then fade to another shot looking down the sights to someone 100yds down range, giving a bit of a wave, never got round to it though. Might try it one day.

Cheers,
    Matt

Guilty

I have been skipping past this thread as I don't do youtube. Glad I clicked on it now, what a great mini-programme and I watched it twice. Off I go now to get mine out and put it through its paces.
    Bring your camera to the next KP fair and put my F/B videos to shame

Well done and thank you Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    It's taken a year to finish but I'm really happy with it.

Wanted to share my enthusiasm for this Vintage classic, and hopefully introduce it to a few people who've never heard of it.
    Quite the labour of love...it's 36 mins long so get comfy!
    Enjoy:

https://youtu.be/hVYnb4fDzU4

Matt
    Hello Matt,
    Well worth taking the time to produce such an excellent video review not only of the Brittania itself, but also of the social and industrial conditions in this country at the time of its manufacture.
    I do have a Gem in my collection which I only acquired as a token of the light competition to the BSAs and others that I considered to be serious attempts at producing quality air gun products at the time. I have examined a few Brittania air rifles and although the overall quality and build standard is obviously far superior to the Gems, I couldn't really embrace the bullpup concept. I have definitely changed my mind as a direct result of your video which will no doubt be reflected in my bank balance once the Kempton Park Fair resumes.

Thanks for taking the not inconsiderable time and effort needed to produce this extremely valuable addition to our collective vintage air gun resources.

Brian