Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Britannia youtube vid is finally up!

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Hi Matt

Thanks for posting the link to your video.
    That's some good shooting there.
    Your Britannia looks absolutely superb - is that the original finish?
    The other question I have concerns your pellet loader...what is that gizmo?
    Hi,
    I think it’s probably a very old re-finish, but there’s no wear and looks and feels like it was made yesterday.

I understand it may have spent a large portion of its life on display in a big country house alongside a shotgun collection, so I like to think maybe it got sent off for refurbishing along with the shotguns at some point, but it doesn’t really matter.
    Crazy condition for something that old really, I’m just happy to have it.

The Gizmo is a Diana Pellet pen. I bought it specifically for that rifle so I could load it with gloves on. Turns out they are perfect for breakbarrels and tap loaders too so I always use them for vintage rifles.

https://shootingsports.edgarbrothers...ellet-Pen.aspx

Cheers,
    Matt

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Hi,
    I think it’s probably a very old re-finish, but there’s no wear and looks and feels like it was made yesterday.

I understand it may have spent a large portion of its life on display in a big country house alongside a shotgun collection, so I like to think maybe it got sent off for refurbishing along with the shotguns at some point, but it doesn’t really matter.
    Crazy condition for something that old really, I’m just happy to have it.

The Gizmo is a Diana Pellet pen. I bought it specifically for that rifle so I could load it with gloves on. Turns out they are perfect for breakbarrels and tap loaders too so I always use them for vintage rifles.

https://shootingsports.edgarbrothers...ellet-Pen.aspx

Cheers,
    Matt
    Oh, it wasn't a criticism, I think it looks fantastic as it is... It was more general interest on the level of finish they would have achieved when it was made.
    By this time, most of the guns we see have what it referred to as 'patina', but no one is old enough to remember what they looked like when they were new I guess unless we happen across one that's been in a posh gun rack for 80 years

Cheers for pen info too...

excellent!

Love'd that vidio' you should think about a career change! Was very interesting & educational , thank you Al.

Great pleasure to watch, well done and thank you.

If Carlsberg made airgun videos .......

they wouldn't have made one as good as this.

I can't add anything to the praise that's gone before. Perfect.

ATB, Mick

I'd have liked an assurance that no bowler hats were harmed during the making of this video. Mustn't upset the snowflakes.
    Last edited by walnutfarmmick; 17-05-2020 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Additional material
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    In the end I’m not sure it was a good thing looking at this Utube? It has now put me on a near impossible quest here in the US! Darn you British and your Airgun ways.
    You wanted your independence, mate. Blame George Washington.

Perhaps a bit of taxation without representation wouldn't have been so bad, after all.

Incidentally we only shoot at bowler hats (Darbies to you ) when they've been passed from father to son at least 3 times.

Only kidding. Without you lot we'd have had to finish all our own world wars.

ATB, Mick

Thumbs up

There is no more that I could add to the accolades and praise both for this air rifle and for this video presentation. Thank you so much Matt.

My homebrew video recording on the Zealandia is crude and embarrassing in comparison

Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    You wanted your independence, mate. Blame George Washington.

Perhaps a bit of taxation without representation wouldn't have been so bad, after all.

Incidentally we only shoot at bowler hats (Darbies to you ) when they've been passed from father to son at least 3 times.

Only kidding. Without you lot we'd have had to finish all our own world wars.

ATB, Mick
    Have done that Ancestry DNA test and it looks like most of me came from Wales. I’m sure that’s where I picked up the Airgun gene?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Have done that Ancestry DNA test and it looks like most of me came from Wales. I’m sure that’s where I picked up the Airgun gene?
    Easily tested. How much do you like sheep?

Inspired by this video I got inside my Britannia to fix a dangerously light trigger caused by wear on the piston where it engages with the sear. I think with the exception of a tell2 it’s the easiest airgun I ever worked on.

In case of interest I found the butt plug, as it were, also has the serial number stamped on it, and my trigger Weight adjuster is different (and an inferior arrangement)to the one in the vid, the grub screw is set at an angle and had to be accessed, awkwardly from the side, with the trigger assembly to the rear in the fully cocked position. (This is on gun 1101). This does give an incentive not to go too far with the screw, unless you want to trigger the sear while the gun is open and get a smack in the chops!

Having had the piston out I can see why the trigger weight cannot easily be set for both power settings: the slots in the piston that the sear engages with are not necessarily the same depth or profile. For mine with the trigger set nicely for full power it is very heavy for half power. That makes sense because the rear (half power) slot seemed to be the deeper set, no doubt so that when the gun is fired at full power the piston passes easily over the withdrawn sear without re-engaging. Presumably if set nicely for half power then full power would be dangerously light, and I wonder if that is why they have the stop screw so that you can set it up so that it will not cock to full power when your trigger is set for half power use. ?
    Morally flawed

Quote,

Having had the piston out I can see why the trigger weight cannot easily be set for both power settings: the slots in the piston that the sear engages with are not necessarily the same depth or profile. For mine with the trigger set nicely for full power it is very heavy for half power. That makes sense because the rear (half power) slot seemed to be the deeper set, no doubt so that when the gun is fired at full power the piston passes easily over the withdrawn sear without re-engaging. Presumably if set nicely for half power then full power would be dangerously light, and I wonder if that is why they have the stop screw so that you can set it up so that it will not cock to full power when your trigger is set for half power use. ?.

Fully agree with above, having worked on one where it had either had a lot of use or, used on high power with low power trigger set wearing the sear contact edge to a radius making it dangerous, fortunately the sear is fully hardened and I was able to reface it.
    Well made, air rifle, very well made video, thanks Matt.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Well Brian, the BSA book is finally done. Just need to find a publisher now as the draft has been completed.

Britannia text has also been completed with just pics to go.

Kind regards,

John
    Ooh, what BSA book is this John?

I have a record of 137 Britannia air rifles!

I suspect the final tally to be around the 4000 mark and possibly just under, as you suggest.

3332 is an interesting example - it has fitted sling swivels and was featured in Airgun World in 2002.

Kind regards,

John

Hi John,

I can't remember if I gave you mine - 2771, .177 and rifled.

ATB, Mick

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    There is no more that I could add to the accolades and praise both for this air rifle and for this video presentation. Thank you so much Matt.

My homebrew video recording on the Zealandia is crude and embarrassing in comparison
    Hi,

I've just emailed you on an unrelated matter?

Mick

Well Brian, the BSA book is finally done. Just need to find a publisher now as the draft has been completed.

Kind regards,

John
    What's the scope of it please? if it's within my pre 1939 remit I would be willing to pre order a couple if that facility is available.

I watched the video twice and it's wondrous how much didn't sink in the first time. A very nice gun and some good shooting there. I've saved the link to view again if I come across a Brittania in my travels.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Ooh, what BSA book is this John?
    I've spent almost 10 years researching and writing up an account of all BSA air rifles that were made between 1905 and 1939, their accessories, use, various sighting systems, etc. It started out as an aide memoir for myself and expanded in what is fast becoming a lifetime's work!

Kind regards,

John