Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .303 light load

.303 light load

I have an elderly No4 Mk1 which is normally only shot at 100y so I am going to try to find a lightish load for the old girl. (It will be beneficial to both of us) I've got some 150gn SPMJ PPU bullets and as I use N140 for three rifles am looking to keep it simple and use this rather than a different powder. I was planning to use around 22gn as a starting load but if anyone has tried this with success I would be grateful for any info.
    Big Ears AKA BE.

39 grains is suggested starting load for 150 gr bullets. Gut feeling is too low but that is just me.

I realize it's a very low load but that's the idea. It's not like it's not going to make it out of the barrel, it just depends if it's going to be accurate at 100 yds.
    Big Ears AKA BE.

Light loads 303

For 100 yds, reduced loads several of my pals use shotgun powders...Maxam PSB2 11gns or GM3 10gns.. with the H and N plated bullet.. or cast..
    Pretty accurate.

amc577

I still use 174FMJ and SMK bullets but use Reloder7, it is a much lighter load and more pleasant to shoot.
    I'll find the charge weight I use when I get to the workshop later if you want it.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

you could try using cast lead bullets and a fast powder such as Unique ,2400, etc should be possible to get a very accurate load for 100 yds that costs a lot less to shoot and is easier on the rifle

CAST BULLET LOADS FOR MILITARY RIFLES

Cast bullets can make shooting that surplus rifle easy and economical.
    And basic data works for many different guns.

BY C.E. Harris

Cast bullet loads usually give a more useful zero at practical field ranges with military battle sights than do full power loads. Nothing is more frustrating than a military rifle that shoots a foot high at 100 yards with surplus ammo when the sight is as low as it will go! Do not use inert fillers (Dacron or kapok) to take up excess empty space in the case. This was once common practice, but it raises chamber pressure and under certain conditions contributes to chamber ringing. If a particular load will not work well without a filler, the powder is not suitable for those conditions of loading. Four load classifications from Mattern (1932) cover all uses for the cast bullet military rifle. I worked up equivalent charges to obtain the desired velocity ranges with modern powders, which provide a sound basis for loading cast bullets in any post-1898 military rifle from 7mm to 8mm:

1. 125 grain plain based "small game/gallery" 900-1000 f.p.s., 5 grains of Bullseye or equivalent.

2. 150 grain plain based "100-yard target/small game", 1050-1250 f.p.s., 7 grains of Bullseye or equivalent.

3. 170-180 grain gas checked "200 yard target", 1500-1600 f.p.s., 16 grains of Hercules #2400 or equivalent.

4. 180-200 grain gas-checked "deer/600 yard target", 1750-1850 f.p.s., 26 grains of RL-7 or equivalent.
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

I use 4.5 grains of bullseye with a 120 grain .32 cast pistol bullet (.312) - a truncated bullet intended for the .32-20 is good, though all the .32 bullets of a similar weight that I have tried have given good results. I do not use any packing.

I've used Bullseye and Unique to good effect in my Martini Enfield with cast lead bullets. With open sights (rear/middle sight) , I'm not able to vouch for accuracy but it was very pleasant to shoot and appeared to be accurate enough. And have used .32 bullets as well which were fun.

Andy Allwood in Bracknell is very knowledge over these matters and sells cast lead bullets. That is where I've bought all mine from. http://www.tfsa.co.uk/reloading.htm

DANGER WARNING. If you are using reduced loads, please be very, very careful that you know what you're doing as there are all sorts of risks that are possible with the wrong powder and reduced loads. Bulky powders are a good starting point.

And, if you are using very small loads of fast powders, it is critical that you have some foolproof way of charging the cases and seating the bullets that rules out ANY possibility of double charging. (ie it is physically possible to double or treble charge a case unlike in 'normal' reloading where you would end up with powder overflowing all over the reloading bench.

A Hugh thank-you to everyone for taking the time to reply to this thread I considered the cast lead and Gm3 route but decided against it as my No4 has the five grooved barrel and could be susceptible to leading. To Big Duncs thank-you for your concern sir but I can assure you I am probably the most anal person when it comes to reloading
    Big Ears AKA BE.

Quote Originally Posted by junkyard dog View Post
    A Hugh thank-you to everyone for taking the time to reply to this thread I considered the cast lead and Gm3 route but decided against it as my No4 has the five grooved barrel and could be susceptible to leading. To Big Duncs thank-you for your concern sir but I can assure you I am probably the most anal person when it comes to reloading
    TBH, the safety warning wasn't aimed at you but when any light loads are discussed, this always needs to be mentioned due to the possibility of inexperienced people reading it, as the results can be catastrophic. (I've seen a club closed down due to this happening and a neighbouring shooter (to the reloader) sustaining significant injuries.)

There is no doubt being anal is good in this context. Very good.

C.E. Harris also developed "The Load" using 13gr of Red Dot. It is very pleasant to shoot and works for 303...

This video describes and tests the load..... the latter part discusses group size and the elevation adjustment required for "The Load".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM4k0oOl2DU

Information about "The Load" is posted on a number of reloading websites if you are interested in finding out more.

Regards...

...Titan
    Ego didici ex doctrina

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    C.E. Harris also developed "The Load" using 13gr of Red Dot. It is very pleasant to shoot and works for 303...

This video describes and tests the load..... the latter part discusses group size and the elevation adjustment required for "The Load".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM4k0oOl2DU

Information about "The Load" is posted on a number of reloading websites if you are interested in finding out more.

Regards...

...Titan
    Interesting, Thanks for that.
    Big Ears AKA BE.

I wouldn't jump down to a low load. Work down to it from a known load. Stop if it does anything weird happens. Getting a bullet stuck in the barrel is a pain (particularly if the bolt is locked in place by the retained pressure in the case).

Small charges of N140 would be difficult as it is too slow. The coatings on the outside of the powder will make ignition and so pressures unreliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    I wouldn't jump down to a low load. Work down to it from a known load. Stop if it does anything weird happens. Getting a bullet stuck in the barrel is a pain (particularly if the bolt is locked in place by the retained pressure in the case).

Small charges of N140 would be difficult as it is too slow. The coatings on the outside of the powder will make ignition and so pressures unreliable.
    Fair comment Thanks for the input.
    Big Ears AKA BE.

Quote Originally Posted by junkyard dog View Post
    My No.4 Mk1 has a five groove barrel and I pretty much only shoot powder coated cast through it, I did have issues with leading until I got the lubes right, and in the case of the powder coating, allowing it to harden for a week or so after coating before shooting.

16gn of 2400 gives a lovely soft shooting round that you could send down range all day, a box of 50 costs about the same as a semi decent box of .22lr and the brass lasts forever.