Quote Originally Posted by pothunter View Post
But given the strange quirks of our firearms laws, would it be classed as such?
When hand loading loading cast bullets in metallic reloading the hardness required is much more than pure lead, but with ML the speed isn't up at cartridge velocities, so what reasonable expansion of a .50 cal ball would be expected on thin skinned UK game.
Scenars and Amax expand but don't do it in a controlled manner, so aren't approved for deer. I guess most deer bullets mushroom to close to 2x calibre diameter, and in a quality bullet the shank stays around the calibre diameter, would a .50 cal ball expand and transfer energy to the same extent at the velocities that can be achieved?
Sorry Tac, no answers but certainly pertinent points to consider when trying to explain our UK laws.

I remember years ago someone I know asked for a ML conditioned for deer, can't remember the calibre, and was declined due to the inability to discharge a second shot in a timely manner if required.

I guess THAT would be the clincher, notwithstanding that upwards of a million Canadian and American sportsmen manage with just the 'one shot that counts' every year on thin-skinned game like whitetail.

Thanks.