Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro Sport - .177 or .22?

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Pro Sport - .177 or .22?

It's about time I treated myself to a new rifle, for a long time I've wanted some kind of Air Arms and some kind of underlever for the collection - not massively keen on the looks of the TX200 but I've always though the Pro Sport was a beautiful rifle.
    Definitely going for the walnut stock on this one, but the question is do I go for .177 or .22?

I tend to prefer .177 for its ballistics, but is there a noticeable difference in the firing cycle between the PS in .177 and .22? Is it at all fiddly to load and does caliber make a difference?
    I know some springers run much better in .22 and it would be handy to know if the PS is one of them.
    Good deals with these members

I've got a .22 and it's a very refined rifle. By this i mean when firing it seems under power, which it's not, no jumping and spot on in the accuracy stakes, as long as you do your bit.
    It also looks good.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Can't really say if they run any better in .22 but my .177 is pretty docile compared to other .177 rifles I have, I think the weight of the rifle absorbs a lot of the recoil. I know mine is a mk1 so is the short stroke version and it's been tuned (so have also got rid of the large piston weight) so not sure if that helps either.

Which ever calibre you get, you won't be disappointed.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Can't really say if they run any better in .22 but my .177 is pretty docile compared to other .177 rifles I have, I think the weight of the rifle absorbs a lot of the recoil. I know mine is a mk1 so is the short stroke version and it's been tuned (so have also got rid of the large piston weight) so not sure if that helps either.

Which ever calibre you get, you won't be disappointed.

Pete
    Hi

Mines a 5 year old .177 - first new rifle I've owned in 44 years... but I have plenty of pre-owned hardware.
    It shoots superbly well and is extremely accurate - 10mm groups at 50m - bench rested - when I do my bit......
    Again I've 'lost' the large steel top hat - replaced with a Delrin item - but apart from that its Bog Standard
    You wont be disappointed...Superb Rifle
    Cheers Steve

Good to hear guys, thank you.
    What are they like to strip down and work on? Are they as straightforward as the TX2000 is meant to be?

I have both .177 and .22 Pro Sports and I wouldn’t part with either.

Naturally, the .177 is more fiddly to load.

If you can’t decide, follow my example, flip a coin and buy either one, then save-up and buy the other calibre!

.177 is Fairly docile to shoot not quite as docile as the lgu but not too far off. personally if you're used to 177 then I would stick with that. I hate the pellet drop on.22 personally

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    What are they like to strip down and work on? Are they as straightforward as the TX2000 is meant to be?
    Straightforward to strip. Sold my walnut stocked .177 years ago and regretted it ever since - why did I do that?!?!?. From memory the only difference in stripping is due to the different underlever arrangement?

So easy, you only need one spanner to strip down a Pro Sport!

Ah now you've really sold me on it.
    I'm extremely tempted to get one on HP from Pellpax, like, this afternoon...

ive had them in bothe cal I used the 177 mostly target shooting ,the 22 for hunting bothe nice guns

Ah now you've really sold me on it.
    I'm extremely tempted to get one on HP from Pellpax, like, this afternoon...
    If you buy it from pellpax don't expect to get it anytime within the next few months

Quote Originally Posted by Darker View Post
    If you buy it from pellpax don't expect to get it anytime within the next few months
    Looking at Ronnie Sunshines now. Not in a huge rush though.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Like already mentioned, if you do get one, firstly replace the heavy metal top hat with a delrin one and then loctite the bolt that fixes the underlever rod to the cocking shoe as these where known to come loose.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I took a over a few rifles today including pcp and can honestly say my prosport with v-mack kit was my favourite to shoot, It's been a labour of love after disappearing for while went sent of for cerakote, I put it back together, polished the trigger contacts etc.
    It was so accurate with jsb RS, I tried Hades first and I was pleased with them but the Jsb were excellent, I think I could be right in saying the pro sport prefers a lighter pellet?

I also shot my liquid steel design tuned hw98 and that was very impressive also but the pro sport won the day!