Thread: For Those Missing Arms Fairs

For Those Missing Arms Fairs

Under normal circumstances, this weekend would have meant attending the Bisley Phoenix Arms Fair for many of us, which in all honesty has been a shadow of its former self since the NRA took control of the event and ceased holding fairs in the purpose designed Pavilion.

Nevertheless, many still attend and I would have enjoyed a natter and catch up with the usual crowd over the course of the weekend. I fondly remember when stalls were jam packed in the Pavilion and there were several tents outdoors as well as the Veranda all packed with vintage items for sale.

For those who can't wait for the next fair, I thought I'd share some images of the very first Kempton Park Arms Fair from 2017. I can't believe it was almost 3 years ago. The fair has grown from strength to strength thanks to Binners and his team but just take a look at the variety and quality that were present at that first fair.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JwwQh5jcktMljFnm1

Roll on the next one, when it is safe to do so.

John M

Hello John,
    I would certainly agree that we don't have much to thank the NRA for, especially their evidently profit lead and soulless attempts to manage Arms Fairs. Although the Kempton event is superb, I loved the surrounding ranges and great atmosphere that accompanied the Fairs when they were held at Bisley.
    I'm reminded of the occasions when the NRA have attempted to organise events which were supposed to unite shooters of all disciplines all of which ended in failure. The one thing we seem to lack in this country is a national organisation that represents and promotes all aspects shooting and gun ownership.
    Sorry about the rant, but its days like this when we should have been out enjoying ourselves at Bisley that I really reflect on these things.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hello John,
    I would certainly agree that we don't have much to thank the NRA for, especially their evidently profit lead and soulless attempts to manage Arms Fairs. Although the Kempton event is superb, I loved the surrounding ranges and great atmosphere that accompanied the Fairs when they were held at Bisley.
    I'm reminded of the occasions when the NRA have attempted to organise events which were supposed to unite shooters of all disciplines all of which ended in failure. The one thing we seem to lack in this country is a national organisation that represents and promotes all aspects shooting and gun ownership.
    Sorry about the rant, but its days like this when we should have been out enjoying ourselves at Bisley that I really reflect on these things.
    Brian
    No need to apologise Brian - I agree entirely with your sentiments. You never know, there may yet be a successful fair at Bisley when things return to normal.

John.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    No need to apologise Brian - I agree entirely with your sentiments. You never know, there may yet be a successful fair at Bisley when things return to normal.

John.
    Maybe only if they get Pete Liz and the crew to organise it. some great photos of rare guns at that one.

There is hope on the horizon

Thank you John for bringing back treasured memories of not so long ago. It is hard to believe that in three years the Fair has doubled, both with Traders and Collectors.

As for the future and on a positive note, we have many irons in the fire but didn't want you to get too excited too soon, but as you have put this thread up, we think we should let you know our plans and ideas......

Firstly, and it has not been common knowledge, we have been approached by Bisley NSRA to run our Kempton Fair at the Lord Roberts Centre in an attempt to re-establish a quality Arms Fair at the Bisley Camp. This will be in addition to our regular Kempton Arms Fairs and the first one at Bisley was due to take place during the Bisley Shooting Week towards the end of August, which has since been cancelled. The Bisley Camp was due to re-open in September, but has now decided to open in June and because of this, the NSRA have been in contact again with a view to putting on a Fair whenever we can - this could still be in August or September. Obviously, this can only take place if restrictions are lifted and it becomes practical or financially viable. The NSRA Official Representative, who we are dealing with, has run this by the NRA, although their approval was not a requirement, and they were keen for this to succeed. Who knows. should the NRA contact us in the future, we would be more than willing to talk business, because as Brian said in the earlier post, nothing can replicate the atmosphere and sense of history that is Bisley.

Secondly, it has been put to us by several Traders and Collectors that we should look at the option of an 'Open Air Kempton'. This is a serious possibility as the massive space available at our venue would certainly allow social distancing to take place. Our plan would be for our Traders to turn up with no regular position, but on a first come first serve pre-booked basis, park five metres from the next Trader and unload their vehicle onto the tables we provide as usual - it would look like a 'posh car boot sale'!!!. This would restrict their movement, ease loading and unloading, and assist with the social distancing aspect whereby it is said that you are better off outside than within a closed building. Again, this can only take place subject to Government approval, but it is possible that this could come about at very short notice......

We hope this has cheered up your Bank Holiday weekend and has whetted your appetite for future Fairs. As desperate as we all are to fuel our passion, Traders and Collectors wellbeing is paramount to us and can only take place when safety is guaranteed.

Now that indeed gives us hope Peter.

It would be great to see a proper fair at Bisley once again and if anyone can make it a success, it is you and your team.

Now, the rest of us just need to start saving....

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Maybe only if they get Pete Liz and the crew to organise it. some great photos of rare guns at that one.
    Thank you for those kind words Micky and John has done us proud with photos of our Fairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Thank you for those kind words Micky and John has done us proud with photos of our Fairs.
    Hello Pete,
    I can't imagine a better combination for a successful Arms Fair than you and your team at the Bisley venue.
    Having said that, an open air Kempton event would be very welcome subject to the necessary restrictions.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hello Pete,
    I can't imagine a better combination for a successful Arms Fair than you and your team at the Bisley venue.
    Having said that, an open air Kempton event would be very welcome subject to the necessary restrictions.
    Brian
    My problem, if you can call it that, is that I am a collector first and my passion to put on a Fair at Bisley will not be the best financial move. Being asked to 'give it a go' is like playing football for Aldershot at the old Wembley Stadium.

Whilst you are renowned for your charm and patience Pete ,I'd give you about 10 minutes at an NSRA committee meeting.
    Other Committee meetings are available.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Whilst you are renowned for your charm and patience Pete ,I'd give you about 10 minutes at an NSRA committee meeting.
    Other Committee meetings are available.
    The NSRA Committee have discussed and approved this, in fact it was their idea. Positive thinking Patrick, that will get us to Wembley.

The (old) phoenix was quite good but in all honesty the first Kempton was better than any phoenix looked at purely as a collectors fair. And it got better from there
    Morally flawed

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    The (old) phoenix was quite good but in all honesty the first Kempton was better than any phoenix looked at purely as a collectors fair. And it got better from there
    Can't argue with that. But a Kempton at Bisley? Now that is something to look forward to and I'm sure will add favourably to the history of this wonderful camp.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    The NSRA Committee have discussed and approved this, in fact it was their idea. Positive thinking Patrick, that will get us to Wembley.
    Just shows what I know !

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Having shot once competitively at Bisley and been treated with complete disdain by snotty staff and then shooting while the floor bounced up and down with the roller hockey they put next door I can only hope you stay at Kempton.
    The place is national disgrace IMHO only kept in place by the long outside ranges and tradition.