Thread: L/H Original 75

L/H Original 75

Its finally arrived !, purchased off Lundy & collected by my son just before lock down started, he fin ally came back this way & brought it with him.

Many thanks Lundy its a great rifle

Hello to All,

Please find some photos of Rob's fine new rifle below.

( Yes he does know the trigger blade needs rotating 180 degrees )

( Yes he does know its a RH action in a LH stock )

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Russ, many thanks for posting the photos for me.

I had time for a shoot yesterday afternoon, & was playing with different pellets. out of interest shot a months MPL targets, using hobby pellets, & scored , 39-41-41-44-46-46=257, so a promising start, & cheap shooting if it likes hobby's !

Rob,

Spiffing

My '75 HV is very pellet fussy, and currently shoots Qiang Yuan Match the best.

Oddly enough, head-sorted Geco pellets also shoot well, though the sorting nullifies any savings in the purchase price !

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Looks in lovely condition... Did they actually make LH actions to go in LH stocks then? (I always assumed they were like yours)

Yes they did, but i like the loading this way, with the cocking arm on the left it would be awkward.

Little bit more pellet testing today, H&N finale & Bisley practice are looking good. Does anyone know if they are the same pellet ? the Bisley are made by H&N, & they look the same

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Original 75

Rob

My wife shot internationally with an Original 75 in the 70's, she actually had the first one in the UK, and we had extensive experience of them then, she used then RWS Meisterkugeln, (still available). But I'd advise now to use either RWS R10 4.50 8.3 gns, or Qiuang Yuan match in the same size and weight.

You can some times get good results with cheap pellets, BUT, they will not be so consistent, and the lead/alloy "mix" will not be so good for the bore and can result in a build up.
    Pellets are so cheap, I see no logic in using any thing other than the best, and they are RWS R10 or Qiuang Yuan Match.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    Yes they did, but i like the loading this way, with the cocking arm on the left it would be awkward.

Little bit more pellet testing today, H&N finale & Bisley practice are looking good. Does anyone know if they are the same pellet ? the Bisley are made by H&N, & they look the same
    Im almost certain Bisley Practice are also marketed as H&N Sports. Finale are higher quality.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Rob

My wife shot internationally with an Original 75 in the 70's, she actually had the first one in the UK, and we had extensive experience of them then, she used then RWS Meisterkugeln, (still available). But I'd advise now to use either RWS R10 4.50 8.3 gns, or Qiuang Yuan match in the same size and weight.

You can some times get good results with cheap pellets, BUT, they will not be so consistent, and the lead/alloy "mix" will not be so good for the bore and can result in a build up.
    Pellets are so cheap, I see no logic in using any thing other than the best, and they are RWS R10 or Qiuang Yuan Match.

Have Fun
    Robin

Thanks Robin,

Just been shooting again, now i'm starting to get used to the rifle, groups are starting to come together, Phatman(Russ) sent me some sample pack of pellets, so had 11 types to test.
    RWS R10 rifle pellets, produced the best group at 7.5mm for 5 shots. QYS gave 4 shots under 6mm, then i snatched & the last one wet out to 12mm, so a bit more testing to do yet

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Im almost certain Bisley Practice are also marketed as H&N Sports. Finale are higher quality.

Thanks Drew, testing again, & the Bisley gave a 5 shot group of 8.2mm, the Finale 9.5mm

Lefty 75

Rob
    Glad you are pleased with the rifle and it’s finally at its new home- it’s a little cracker. I never tried different pellets but actually used 4.5 R10 pistol pellets which it was quite happy on- a bit lighter but good quality. I also took the front sight weight/ shroud off to move point if balance back- it just pulls off though it does loose the sleek look. I also know I reversed the trigger- it just felt better and reduced reach by a few mm
    Enjoy!
    Steyr Evo 10, Anschutz 8001, BSA Scorpion SE, BSA light Pattern, HW77k, HW30s, AA TX200, HW45 Blackstar, HW40, Walther CP88, Webley Premier E, TBC!

Quote Originally Posted by Lundy View Post
    Rob
    Glad you are pleased with the rifle and it’s finally at its new home- it’s a little cracker. I never tried different pellets but actually used 4.5 R10 pistol pellets which it was quite happy on- a bit lighter but good quality. I also took the front sight weight/ shroud off to move point if balance back- it just pulls off though it does loose the sleek look. I also know I reversed the trigger- it just felt better and reduced reach by a few mm
    Enjoy!
    Many thanks, yes it took some time but finally got here, & i'm very happy with it