Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Baikal Makarov Thread

The Baikal Makarov Thread

After a few years going without after selling my 2002 dated MP-654K, I have become a born again Makarovnik and probably appreciate the design far more today than I did 20 years ago! Trouble is they keep multiplying as can be seen here

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RfjTkwLjSJ2Xf3KXA

I've probably amassed enough information on variations, use and modifications to produce a small book and am currently trying to put together a photo library of all major variations. This begs the question of whether the Makarov was produced during each year of its 22 year old life to date and I wonder if owners reading this can help out with a little research?

Does anyone on this forum own a T prefixed Makarov with one of the following dates:

T01
    T03

As to the future; well my little ensemble is not yet complete, as I am still looking for a 98 prefixed model, a T12/13 with 17 slide serrations and a blued rather than part parkerised slide. Also, I would not mind a T18 with the bulky offset faux silencer if anyone has one surplus to requirements.

Dasvidanya.

John M
    Last edited by Josie & John; 25-05-2020 at 03:41 PM.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    ...I've probably amassed enough information on variations, use and modifications to produce a small book and am currently trying to put together a photo library of all major variations....
    The Makarov lineage has always been bewidering to me, can't keep up with it all - a book may be handy!
    Good deals with these members

That's some collection.

Yes the prefix in serial numbers increases year on year. I've seen a T19 in a Russian video on youtube which appears to be the latest version and looks to be based upon the Gen 5 with the thinner frame and thicker slide.

I've had 3 maks (in total and at one time). Two of them Gen 5's of which one I had reblued by a guy named Collin (slide AND frame) which made it look superb and a complete one off unique piece. Also had and absolutely treasured a T99 model (photos in link below if interested). I regrettably sold them all in the last 5 years with the T99 being the last to go to a lucky forumer on the umarex forum almost 2 years ago.

I am currently looking to own one of these again so if you ever feel you have too many of them and want to part with the Gen 5 let me know

I've never seen that marking on one of your maks (right centre), what is it?

https://imgur.com/a/ppahEvx#hn1W6FO

Quote Originally Posted by dumpit View Post
    That's some collection.

Yes the prefix in serial numbers increases year on year. I've seen a T19 in a Russian video on youtube which appears to be the latest version and looks to be based upon the Gen 5 with the thinner frame and thicker slide.

I've had 3 maks (in total and at one time). Two of them Gen 5's of which one I had reblued by a guy named Collin (slide AND frame) which made it look superb and a complete one off unique piece. Also had and absolutely treasured a T99 model (photos in link below if interested). I regrettably sold them all in the last 5 years with the T99 being the last to go to a lucky forumer on the umarex forum almost 2 years ago.

I am currently looking to own one of these again so if you ever feel you have too many of them and want to part with the Gen 5 let me know

I've never seen that marking on one of your maks (right centre), what is it?

https://imgur.com/a/ppahEvx#hn1W6FO
    That 99 looks like it was part of a very nice set and probably fairly difficult to replace today.

Yes, the latest T19 Maks are based on the narrower PM frame and have markings stamped under the muzzle rather than along the slide (other than serial number). The Mak at bottom right is an example.

The marking you asked about is the badge of the notorious KGB. A 'Limited Edition' with the KGB badge was produced in 2017 with a choice of either a blued or plated finish.

Sorry, I'm not looking to part with any just yet.

Kind regards,

John

I sold mine as I wasn't really using it. Was it to you on Freeads sold with brown East German holster?
    Anyway, I wish I lived somewhere where I could have a couple of real ones. Mon ami Yves has a couple he keeps in CR and they are great to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by harrysmith View Post
    I sold mine as I wasn't really using it. Was it to you on Freeads sold with brown East German holster?
    Anyway, I wish I lived somewhere where I could have a couple of real ones. Mon ami Yves has a couple he keeps in CR and they are great to shoot.
    No not me Harry- I obtained the East German holster in the pic from Germany.

It took me a couple of years after selling my 2002 Mak to realise I needed one again and I haven't looked back

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    That 99 looks like it was part of a very nice set and probably fairly difficult to replace today.

Yes, the latest T19 Maks are based on the narrower PM frame and have markings stamped under the muzzle rather than along the slide (other than serial number). The Mak at bottom right is an example.

The marking you asked about is the badge of the notorious KGB. A 'Limited Edition' with the KGB badge was produced in 2017 with a choice of either a blued or plated finish.

Sorry, I'm not looking to part with any just yet.

Kind regards,

John
    A KGB version who would have thunk it! Would love to see some close ups of it.

I particularly like the bottom T19 and the Nickel one. I have a PM incoming for you if you don't mind (not offering to buy so don't worry )

A KGB version who would have thunk it! Would love to see some close ups of it.

I particularly like the bottom T19 and the Nickel one. I have a PM incoming for you if you don't mind (not offering to buy so don't worry )
    I've added a few more images including some close ups of the pistols you asked about.

In one of them, the T19 is fitted with a genuine pair of Baikal grips intended for the .380 calibre Makarov. They fit fine but the magazine will not fully engage with the grips fitted so some fitting looks to be on the cards at some point.

Kind regards,

John

Interesting! I imported those same Baikal grips from across the north Atlantic (maybe the same one even?). Sold it along with my fully reblued gen 5 on the makarov forum many years ago before it shut down (shame!).

Not entirely sure what to think of the position of the Baikal engraving on the T19 but with that said the gun looks much more authentic with just the serial number on the side.

A really excellent collection!

Interesting! I imported those same Baikal grips from across the north Atlantic (maybe the same one even?). Sold it along with my fully reblued gen 5 on the makarov forum many years ago before it shut down (shame!).

Not entirely sure what to think of the position of the Baikal engraving on the T19 but with that said the gun looks much more authentic with just the serial number on the side.

A really excellent collection!
    Thanks for that - good of you to say.

I like the square front and lack of usual trade markings on the T19. The finish is a very deep black rather than blue. Maybe an arsenal refinish?

I sourced the grips a couple of months ago through t'bay but still can't work out where the constriction is when it comes to inserting a mag. I'll get a mate that is more skilled than me to look at it once life returns to normal.

Kind regards,

John

Another request to Makarov owners:

If you look closely on recently manufactured PMM frame Makarovs, you will see a seem along the bottom of the frame, when viewing from underneath. It is also seen on some trigger guards.

The seem is not a feature of my 2005 dated pistol and I wonder if forum members reading this can check to see if their pistols have a frame seem?

Specifically, I'm looking to narrow down when the same was introduced.

BTW, it does not seem to be a feature of PM frame or Gen 5 pistols, so it is just the PMM frame pistols that have this feature.

Thanks all.

John M

I currently have
    98 (euro) blued (yet to see another)
    T99 blued
    T00 half nickel
    T02 (custom full polished with no serial numbers )
    T06 blued
    T12h half park
    T12h full blued
    T15 blued (has milled slide like 12h, unusual)
    T14 full nickel
    all with booklets etc bar the custom one.
    I've almost had every model to date and probably sold around 20-30 different ones over the years , I haven't had the latest gen 5 type one and the KGB that I've never seen before until now . Haven't collected for at least a few years but can't part with any .
    I also stock the spares and sell on the famous auction site for a few years now

Quote Originally Posted by eliano View Post
    I currently have
    98 (euro) blued (yet to see another)
    T99 blued
    T00 half nickel
    T02 (custom full polished with no serial numbers )
    T06 blued
    T12h half park
    T12h full blued
    T15 blued (has milled slide like 12h, unusual)
    T14 full nickel
    all with booklets etc bar the custom one.
    I've almost had every model to date and probably sold around 20-30 different ones over the years , I haven't had the latest gen 5 type one and the KGB that I've never seen before until now . Haven't collected for at least a few years but can't part with any .
    I also stock the spares and sell on the famous auction site for a few years now
    That's a nice little haul. I too have a T15 with the machined extractor slot and PMM sized original Bakelite grips, which I obtained from MWM in Germany. The pistol is also MGM marked just above the grip, which is a nice touch. I have also seen a T15 with the standard soft black grips that has the extractor slot, which suggests a batch of cut slides was used in 2015.

Does anyone know what the HWG DE markings mean on some slides? It's a fair assumption they had something to do with the German market but it would be nice to determine what the acronym means. Before anyone suggests Weihrauch - it's nothing to do with them as I have already asked them!

Kind regards,

John

It's an importer /safety mark I was led to believe , along with that hexagonal F that all German air pistols have to display, I have tried to avoid those ones as it ruins the looks

Quote Originally Posted by eliano View Post
    It's an importer /safety mark I was led to believe , along with that hexagonal F that all German air pistols have to display, I have tried to avoid those ones as it ruins the looks
    Hi Eliano,

Yes, I believe that is the case too but would still like to know what the initials signify.

The F in a pentagon was brought in during the early 1970s when the German airgun energy limit was reduced due to an increase in terrorism by groups such as the Baader Meinhof gang. I vaguely recall news broadcasts of the time but thought they used firearms rather than airguns though!

Kind regards,

John